Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel system upgrade on a 51 Ford ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rollingmenace, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Rollingmenace

Rollingmenace

ok here goes my 51 is finally here and my first order of buisness is the fuel system... the fuel in the tank is really old.. lines are suspect want to test sender ect ect..
    Asteticly id like to keep the look iunder the hood vintage with a modern flare..
    Im basically going to pull and clean tank, test sender and replace everything carb, lines, filter, pump and sender if needed
    im planning on rewiring entire car with a 12 v conversion but ill leave that for another time...
    i had a few questions and would like some opinions

#1 as far as the stock fuel pump on the car the eventual plan will be an electric pump but untill the wiring deal i want to run my stock mechanical once switched over to electric would you guys recomend just ditching the stock unit or will it be better to run it in conjuction im trying to avoid any heat transfer and vapor lock issues

#2 if i remove the stock pump is there a blockoff kit that can work for it... ive seen ones up to 1950 but really nothing for the 51 (are they the same)

#3 will removing pump have any affects on how the engine runs..(i recall something being said about the mechanical load the pump has on the engine)

#4 lines im planning on aluminum. gone right and rubber to isolate. any thoughts?? i believe they have been replaced at one time im thinking there copper in there now

#5 electric pump im planning on just a universal pump im thinking on frame rail as close to tank as i can .. my brother seems to think it needs to be closer to the carb.. what are your thoughts

#6 filter and regulator. as far as regulator should it be closest as possible to electric pump or is under the hood fine.. and my filter im looking at either a canister style or a billet style both with changable elements..do you think regulator with filter mounted on firewall possibly with a little fuel pressure guage would look ok

Thats enough for now any opinions or advice would be appreciated

2. Rollingmenace

Rollingmenace

just picked up a rebuilt Stromberg 97 for the car the factory holley n94 has seen better days... eventually the plan is dual 97's..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

You might want to replace the existing fuel lines with steel. There are arguments for and against using copper for fuel lines due to work hardening or normal vibration making copper more prone to cracking or leaking. A new fuel tank will save you headaches regarding the old tank leaking or harboring sludge and sediment. If you're going for a 12 volt conversion you might consider an alternator over a generator as alternators will charge at a lower engine rpm than a generator. Good luck with your project!

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Electric pump close to the tank. Regulator close to engine. I ran an electric through a gutted stocker. If you remove the stocker, you're going to have to plug the pushrod hole in the block. I used an aluminum plug I found laying around. Also keep in mind these old carbs don't need much pressure at all. 2 1/2 to 3 psi is all it needs. Also, aluminum lines will work fine. Good luck and keep us updated....

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

BTW....keep the generator. Alternator on a flathead looks terrible! Just convert it to 12v and it'll work fine.

6. chromeazone

chromeazone

Electric pump as close to tank as possible. It might be wise to install a switch/push button under the dash as a theft deterrent. (Problem I had was when my car was in storage for a few months and forgot I had put the shut off switch on car and I couldn't start it! I had to trace wire from pump up to dash and was feeling around and said "What the hell is this?", feeling switch. Boy, I guess it's old timers disease creeping in.) I kept my mechanical pump for now. Maybe I'll take it off if I go to more carbs later. Single deuce is fine for me around town now.
    First big thing I did when I got car was buy a Painless basic wiring kit. I brought it when they were offering a $100 rebate through Summit. Best move I made next to buying the car. I've had so many old 50's cars with rotten wiring, I figured 'this is the car I am going to keep'. Advantage I have is now I am finally retired and I could take the time to make it nice. No regrets! First complete wiring job and Painless kit was great. Definitely NOT a weekend job.
    As for myself, I have had so many cars with generators in the past, I wouldn't screw with one. Last generator on a car was about '53-'54. Why screw with old electric technology? (I don't know where to even buy one or have one fixed anymore. They are not $15 from the junkyard anymore.) I have a hood on my car so I don't care what people think might be under it. If they ask, I tell.
    I always run a CLEAR plastic inline gas filter up from carb, that way I can always SEE if it is dirty. Have you ever been stuck by side of road and car won't start? Metal filter (dirty) is always last thing I look at.
    Great '51! Hang on to it, and keep the Flattie!
    Happy New Year!!

7. tedster

tedster

Boy you are covering all bases huh. I have seen this thread on 3 forums today. Boy are you ever going to get a lot of different opinions hopefully a lot of the correct ones. Good luck.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Have the tank chemically dipped/cleaned. Replace all the fuel lines with new steel line you can use a nice universal low pressure electric pump and leave the stock pump in tact if you like. As mention already 2-3 PSI is all that you need for fuel pressure.

9. Rollingmenace

Rollingmenace

Thanks guys for the comments.... I bit the bullet and ordered all the stuff for the fuel system ...
    All stainless line 3/8 ... New electric pump.. New regulator. Canister style filter and a pressure gauge ... Stainless braided line and fittings for all soft connections .. I also found a rebuilt Stromberg 97 .. But I also ordered a rebuild kit for the 94 I'll try my hand at rebuilding it and run it untill I get the 12v conversion done with a single wire alt bubba's distributor w/ mech advance and new harness in...