Register now to get rid of these ads!

History California Black Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus

I got a pair of matching black California plates last weekend. The stamped indented year in upper right corner is 1963. After that DMV issued stickers to place over upper right corner of license plate. The plates have a black background with yellow alpha/numeric sequence. Anyone know the right paint/color to restore these with?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good question. I need to do the set on my Falcon, too.

3. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Do a search on here, this subject has been around the block a couple times. Make sure via the DMV the plates are clear if you intend to run them.
    I did a quickie job on the ones on our 49 PU using correct semi-gloss black and One-shot lemon yellow is close to original.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. Cerberus

Cerberus

I did four different searches looking for information on how to restore California Black plates. Came up with zip. Thanks for your input. I will try and find the paint. Is it in a rattle can?

5. One-shot is striping paint - usually pints and quarts. Not available as a rattle can to my knowledge.

6. black is black. lemon yellow is pretty close but if i'm not mistaken (and if i am please correct me) i believe that one shot chrome yellow is closer to the original CA color.

7. One Shot chrome yellow on this one. Not good lighting, but it's dead on.

[​IMG]

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Dean's plate looks good in person. When you do yours, be aware that the black area is not a "standard" gloss black. It has a very slight, almost satin-like finish. Just a tad less shine than full-on gloss ...

9. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Yes, one-shot chrome yellow is the closest match, since I had the lemon yellow (next best IMHO) I went with it, and semi-gloss black rattle can, probably RustOleum (?)

Use "calif plates" in the search, should get several thresds

10. robH

robH

OT, and I suppose you already know... No way to legally have those plates assigned to any car other than the original car they were on, way back when. Calif is working on that, and there may be a way to make this happen if current legislation ever gets okeyed. Last I was aware, Cal was taking applications as of a few months ago, and at that time it didn't look like they were getting enough interest.
    Just an opinion, and I might be out of date, or inaccurate.

11. check the legality of modifying a plate.

12. Get them registered before restoring them. I assume you are going to register them as a YOM plate. If you restore them to "as good as new" you will have trouble convincing the DMV they are original an not new.

A quick way to check if the number is already assigned is to go to the “Vanity” plate website for DMV (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do) and proceed as if you are applying for a vanity plate with the number you want to check. Without going through the entire application you will get a message back immediately if the number is already in use. If the number is acceptable as a vanity plate you can then proceed to go to the DMV and apply to use the YOM plate.

Charlie Stephens

13. robH

robH

Charlie, Thanks !! I just checked that reference, and it is a great resource !!

14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Checking plate number online looking for ok for vanity plates will only give you a false sense of security. That check does not look in all the various databases for numbers in use. While it may tell you ones you can't use, it may also tell you numbers are available when they are not. The ONLY sure way is to call the DMV or go into an office.

Some DMV clearks will give you crap about restored plates but the vast majority are ok with that. To be safest, get them ok'd then get them restored. In general the less you say, the better, if things are going ok, don't offer up any more information. DMV clerks are only one step in the evolutionary chain above plant life and like to make up the rules as they go along.

15. Interesting, I also had concerns but assumed if a number letter combination could be issue for a vanity plate it would be ok for a YOM plate. Do they tell you that a number is ok for a vanity plate and then change their mind? Do you know what databases are missed? Do you know someone on the inside or are you basing your comments on specific problems you have seen?

Charlie Stephens

16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have talked to people at the DMV headquarters and have cleared MANY plates. I wish I could clear them online and not have to phone them. A savvy DMV clerk will check several places for a hit, not just one. The DMV says they won't allow already used configurations for vanity plates such as the AAA123 used on the 1956 & 1963 series plates. Every online vanity application still needs to get approved separately by Sacramento.

17. robH

robH

Curious and interesting discussion & comments... I just inserted several "already used configurations ... such as AAA123" into the above vanity plate query, and got messages back that they were ok. Just send money... I'm tempted to try one, just to test the system... Just opinion.

18. Comechero65

Comechero65

On mine I used Black Duplicolor DA 1603 Semi-gloss and 1 Shot Sign Makers Chrome yellow #134L. That's what looked the best to me.
    Ron

19. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Who knows, it might work. I always say the DMV is consistently inconsistent. They seem to make up the rules to suit their mood. Their own manuals are filled with errors. I've heard real life examples about how they have broken just about all their own rules.

Someone asked about the new "legacy" plates they plan to issue. I spoke with someone in the program a while back and although they were only half way to their required quota for applications, they (like all governments) had no intention of refunding that money if they can help it.
    They said they haven't settled on the final rules but were probably going to not reuse old configurations so it should be easy to see the posers who put those plates on their cars. They will use reflectorized paint and the yellow ones won't have the 56 stamped in them. The first plates won't be issued until 2015. With the cost to buy the plates then the higher annual cost, people won't be saving much over real plates.

20. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

anyone have paint code colors for the 1951-55 yellow and the 56-62 yellow ?

and are either of them the same as the 63-69 yellow letters/ numbers ?

paint code, pantone color or ????

thanks