Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '28 Roadster Rear Half - Worth Saving?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 73chargerse, Nov 21, 2013.

1. 73chargerse

73chargerse
    from Tucson, AZ

Hey guys,

Tooling around and I happened across what I'm pretty sure is a '28 roadster rear section. Looks like someone cut the quarters short, however. It's got most of the original bracing in it, and they mounted it up on a trailer frame. Being that there's so much reproduction metal, and you can get most if not all of this piece, would it be worth trying to save it? I've got a '27 or '28 cowl available. What'd be the easiest way to get this back to stock length?

Pictures of door jamb areas would be awesome.

Paul

Attached Files:

2. 117harv

117harv

You're kidding right? Yes save it.

3. carmuts

carmuts

Absolutley save it. Also might make sure to ID it posotively as a roadster as it may be a coupe instead. Easy to tell by measuring the panel above the decklid. To me this looks more like a coupe. They do not make repops of the coupe quarters. Rod

4. 562roadster

562roadster

looks to be a 28-29 coupe/sport coupe back half, not roadster. Still worth saving though!

5. Uptown83

Uptown83

This

6. 63Compact

63Compact

Thats a coupe rear Ive saved worse

7. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I'm actually looking for exactly what you have! Wish you weren't so far away...

8. As above, coupe rear. If you wanna "coupester" it, you'll need coupe doors to cut down.

Or, don't cut the coupe doors, and find a Model A closed car cowl and chop the windshield and doors and have a chopped sport coupe. They look super cool.

9. carmuts

carmuts

My current 29 business coupe project started with this. Given to me by my Great Uncle. I replaced the pillars with some salvaged ones I had from some tudor bodies that I pieced out to get lower qtrs for my delivery. Bought a cowl for $35 from the salvage yard, made a parts trade for the decklid. Top pieces came from a fellow HAMB memebr.I have the other pieces to complete the body located locally, but no deal worked at this time. Rod

Attached Files:

10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I would definately save it, but it is sport coupe quarter not roadster and anyone that has the pick up conversion done to thier coupe would want these to repair it.

I looked for a long time for these to fix my coupe and eventually gave up and sold the car a converted pick up/coupe.

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

There's no such thing as junk early Ford parts anymore....if there's even a small patch panel that can be salvaged the the whole thing is wort having....

I'd drag that piece home with big smile on my face.

12. What Rich Wright said.

13. classic gary

classic gary

That has the makings of something to drag behind my sport coupe!

14. You desert guys fucking kill me !!!

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chargerse, that appears to be the back half of a coupe because of the narrow panel above the decklid opening. You can't make a roadster out of a coupe without the quarter panels and other shit (doors, roadster/phaeton cowl, etc.

16. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

The fun part is saving these old rusty things... it's a sickness I think. I think I get it from my Dad.

17. Hell yes!! If you dont want to I will..

18. 2935ford

2935ford

Looks like junk to me....I'll be over to pick it up!:)

19. 73chargerse

73chargerse
    from Tucson, AZ

Well it looks like the cowl I was thinking of isn't actually a Model A cowl. I'd like to find a more complete car to start with at some point, and I may have a line on a complete 5 window shell. What would this rear half be worth if I were to sell it? Needs some patch panels toward the bottom, but is overall very solid.

Paul

20. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sport coupe parts.Don't ever get rid of anything!I bought a pair of rear quarters from a 30 sport coupe that looked like they got hit by a bus, but I've taken pieces from them to patch up two other cars( and there's lots of pieces left!).Also met a guy with a body shop that cut up two rotten sedan doors to fix two others- he asked me if I wanted them and I said" I'll be right over".Doors were pretty smoked, but had all 6 hinges on them . I save EVERYTHING. My wife thinks I'm sick, but that's her problem. Good Luck and have fun. Mike from Mass.

21. classic gary

classic gary

well, my first bid, $400.00 and i'll come and get it. I'll finish it off as a trailer.;)

22. I can vouch for that!! That looks mint compared to what you've started with.

23. Man that's pretty bloody tidy, wish we could get good tidy tin like that over this way..

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes, it's worth saving. Nobody even mentioned the fender and hood in the background. They appear to be 40 Ford PU. What other stuff does the guy have?

25. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Looks like a 28-29 sport coupe, looks like it would have had a rumble seat

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 1954wagon

1954wagon

The back half of this coupe will be saving a 1929 ford's roadster rumble seats car's life.... its in good hands now guys so no need to worry! A 6 1/2 hour drive round trip 1 gas fill up on the way back, and $600 less in the bank account but its in a dry garage ready to be patched up! ITS IN GOOD HANDS NOW!!! :)

27. 1954wagon

1954wagon

Oh and 8 hours of sick pay from my job because i had to call in sick! cough cough!