Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Body meets chassis

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bubbashead, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

Today was a big day. Today I introduced the model A body to the model a chassis, using a 1956 Oldsmobile engine. As I expected they did not exactly get along. From what I can tell it looks like I need about a 4" set back on the firewall. I intend to channel the body about 4" over the frame too. I may or may not chop the top. I want to be comfortable when I drive it. I have built many cars over the years. Some for me, some for customers. I find that I am enjoying this build more than most. I am not sure why. Maybe it is because it takes me back to my youth. I built something similar back in 1962. Maybe it is because at 69 years old I think this might be my last one.

Attached Files:

2. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

Not at all,I am 60 years old and there is always one more build

3. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I know the feeling. I am 73 and starting my last one also… another old school (my youth) hot rod roadster. I am using the parts I grew up with and I am making what I don't have. I am just glad to have a project and not really concerned with deadlines anymore. Hang in there you got a good start.

4. I started building my "last hot rod" a couple of years ago. Will be 71 in April. Unfortunately, there is a pile of really neat, uncommitted parts gathering in my shop. For convenience sake, I have started calling it "Project X."

5. question, if the body, radiator shell, hood etc, was not on, how did you know were to put the engine?

6. ff1930

ff1930
    from lapeer

Looks good
    I love the model a coupes
    I will be putting one together with a nailhead.
    If you reverse that firewall that should buy you some room...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

To answer the question that tb33ana3rd asked, I positioned the engine as far forward in the chassis as I could. The rear fender cutaway has a pattern in it that needs to line up with the rear axle,as well as a couple holes at the firewall that need to line up. I am not planning on having a hood or fenders, so that is not an issue.
    As for reversing the firewall, I am considering that, but I am leaning toward just building a recess myself. I have a lot ot metal working equipment, so it should not be a problem.