Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical More Dash for the Rambler Nash Flathead 6

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gearguy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. gearguy

gearguy

Elsewhere I posted about finding a stash of old car magazines [1952-1962] along with a nice copy of Fawcett's 1955 How to Build Hot Rods. HAMB member GasserHenry from Sweden requested info on speed parts for his Nash 6 & the Fawcett book had a 6 page photo spread on hopping that motor up. Kosmic Karma required that it be scanned and e-mailed to him so I thought I'd post it here so it is searchable in the future.
    My father once installed headlinings at the Milwaukee Nash plant & my good friend Gregg Kishline is the grandson of Nash Chief Engineer Floyd Kishline so I guess this info was meant to come my way.

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Very interesting, be even better if they were right way up.

3. gearguy

gearguy

Sorry about that. They looked good on my end.

4. I posted photos of rambler finned aluminum twin carb head brand new old stock
    Salem speed shop
    Salem oregon
    Have no idea if it's still there
    He had a couple packard straight 8 heads too
    I'll see if I can find photos

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Hi.

Did u find the pics or have you missplaced them? U got a number to the shop that had them?

Thanx

6. farna

farna

Edmunds made finned twin carb heads for the Nash Rambler L-head six. They boost compression, so you need one made for the size engine you have. Compression just goes up to around 8:1, nothing huge, but if you put an 8:1 172.6 head on a 195.6, the small chamber will boost compression a bit more. I don't know how much more, but it will go up. The last 58-65 195.6 models were already at 8:1 compression -- the first 1941 172.6 was only 6.87:1.

Three sizes were made -- 172.6, 184, and 195.6. Bore (block) was the same at 3.125". Size was altered by using a different stroke for each -- 3.75", 4.00", and 4.25" respectively. That was unusual, especially since they used forged cranks and rods. Would have been cheaper to cast the block with a different bore. All the cranks interchange, by the way, and the block can be bored at least 0.125". Finding a piston might be tough, but boring a late model block 0.125" and using either the 3.75" or 4.00" stroke crank would make the engine turn up quicker.