Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flypa38

flypa38

That there's a B-19! REAL REAL BIG.......

2. I thought I read that this might be a B15? Any clue about what year it would be ?
    [​IMG]

3. And this one? I'm guessing experimental but then I haven't a clue except the tail kinda sez Boeing.

[​IMG]

4. It looks like these boys are helping to clean up. I'm afraid that in today's world........

5. B19. I remember seeing the Douglas B18 - I think they were called 'Bolo', and were submitted to the AAF for testing?, and did they share the same frame as the C47 Dakota? Would this B19 also have been submitted as a test at about the same time? And did the 19s actually go into production?

6. noboD

noboD

What air filters? Most 20's cars didn't have them.

7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Alright youse guys, no wise cracks! :D

8. EMD567

EMD567
    from Wichita

Yes to the B-15 and...

Search "B-17 Engine Testbed" and you'll get pictures like this for hits:

[​IMG]

This airframe was used for several engine test programs, both recip and turbine.

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

TB-17 with an experimental turbo-prop nose job.

10. Elwood P Dowd

Elwood P Dowd
    from London, OH

Thats a B-17 that was modified to test out new engine designs in the nose. The thinking being that it has it's 4 engines to fly on so if it had problems in the experimental one it would be no big deal. I dont know how many were modified like this but I'm pretty sure that if this is the only one it is still flying although it has a normal glass nose on it now.

11. 296ardun

296ardun

I think that these are Vultee "Vengence" dive bombers. Navy never ordered them, and the Air Corps tried them out as A-31's, but they wound up as target tugs and trainers. The UK and several other air forces also flew them, these look like they are in Commonwealth colors

12. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Don't know where the fuzzy photo came from but here is one from the original factory photo. Would like to know for sure who it is? The car is an electric powered 1963 Thunderbird JR by the Powercar Company of Mystic CT.
    I make restoration parts for these little cars and own a few.
    Would also like to find a source for those baby moon hubcaps to fit the 5 inch rims.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Tango88

Tango88

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    LOVE those Connies! Without a doubt the prettiest, sexiest airliner ever built. I hitched a ride in Mil version, a "Willie Victor" and she seemed to fly as smooth as her lines look. Sweet!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

The bottom one is kind of special. It was one of four converted to turboprop power. Lockheed called it an L-1249, the Navy an R7V-2, later a YC-121F.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1249_Super_Constellation

15. They are great looking aircraft. Military designation was - I think - C121(?). Ike's Air Force One, a Connie named Columbine III is, or was at the Air Force Museum @ Wright Patterson AFB OH. I haven't been there in a few years but there were several former AF Ones including FDR's and HST's as well.

UPDATE - found a pic of Ike's:

[​IMG]

16. Even the 4 drs look great! '62s are a close, very close, second.

17. XP-300 how many of your pics are from new england?

18. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Hollywood 1964
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Once and for all.... it's Bert Convy! Don't know about the hub caps, maybe golf cart?

20. Elwood P Dowd

Elwood P Dowd
    from London, OH

Well that sucks, I just looked up the info on this plane and it was in fact restored to flying condition as the "Liberty Bell" unfortunately she caught on fire in flight a couple of years ago and landed in a farm field. She could have been saved but she was to far from the edge of the field and recent rains had made it to muddy for the fire trucks to get to her.

21. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

In June 1956 I crossed the ocean on my way to Germany in a C-54, courtesy Uncle Sam. In 1959 I came home thinking I would fly in a Super Connie, nope, another C-54. Poor timing for the Connies, one of the most beautiful planes ever built, jets were becoming more in favor.

22. 296ardun

296ardun

Assume that this is Pine Street in San Francisco, lived on Pine St after the Navy sent me back to my old ship. homeported in Oakland, after Vietnam tour...early '67, hippies were already there, as was topless dancing...my next door neighbor was Big Bertha, who billed herself as the world's largest topless dancer...no more need be said!...it was a crazy town even then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.