Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do about a 61 Buick special wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drew5x2, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

So now I'm kicking around the idea of selling my 61 buick station wagon but its a tough sell because it doesn't run and it doesn't have the original engine. The first suspicious thing was the "Dauntless Jeep" stickers on the valve covers which might not mean much but After further investigation, I noticed that the driverside exhaust mount is facing forward and the exhuast was crudely welded and bent which is totally unnessessary for this car becuase it has plenty of room under the hood. The other thing i noticed is that the engine mounts seem hacked up. So it seems that at some point someone slapped a 225 v6 from a jeep in it. I don't know if this car originally had the aluminum v8 in it but it would be sad if it did.
    Anyway, thats the back story....the question now is, what would be a cheap engine option to throw in there and get it running again? I think putting a buick engine back in there will help sell it if I decide to sell it and obviously a running car is better. I don't think the engine mounts or anything else have been altered beyond repair.
    [​IMG]

2. khead47

khead47

The dauntless IS a Buick engine!

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think it depends on how much you have into it, what it's worth now, what you reasonably think you can sell it for, how much another engine would cost, how easy would it even be to get a "correct" engine for it, what your time is worth, do you have the time to spend and could you take a loss to just get rid of it.

Lots of variables to weigh and I don't think anyone else can do it for you. I wouldn't think it's a high dollar car, so you might be better off to just let it go for whatever you can get for it. I've been in the same situation before, as I'm sure a lot of people have been.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you're looking for another aluminum Buick V8, then look for wrecked Land Rovers.

5. No sense sinking more money into something your selling.

Sell the car as is..where is.HRP

6. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

7. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

8. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

So I posted some pictures of the car. It gives you an idea of what shape it is in. Like I said before, it doesn't run, it needs an interior, back side window is busted out and it has a couple cancer rust spots on the wheel wells. I'd like some feed back on how much you guys think its worth. I'm in Wyoming and the car is from Colorado originally so its a pretty solid car.... So what do you think? I appriciate the advise about the engine. It really wouldn't be worth it to spend a bunch of money on it if I'm not going to keep it.

9. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

never mind the saab wheels! I needed something to roll it around

10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

As long as you have a realistic price in mind I don't see you having any trouble selling that.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Squablow

Squablow

Spend a hard weekend cleaning it, polish all the chrome and old paint, even if it's not in good shape anymore, spray paint the wheels white, clean the glass and interior, a couple days of fluff time help sell a car. But don't spend a bunch of money or time swapping engines or anything like that, you won't get your investment back. That looks like a $950 car to me.

12. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

Thanks Squablow, that gives me an idea of where to start the pricing for this car.

13. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

If that rear side glass is flat, Its very simple to cut and replace.

14. Greasyman

Greasyman

I'd ask $1000. Looks like you live in a lightly populated area, so it might be hard to sell locally, since there likely aren't many people falling over themselves to buy a well used 61 Buick station wagon. I'm sure there's someone out there who wants it, just might take a while to find them. I like those cars, always have.

15. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

Well put Greasyman, no there isn't a high demand around here for a well used 61 wagon...but dang it someone out there needs it! its kind of cool right? ($1000 worth of cool...maybe) I'll give it a good spit shine and see what happens

16. 61 chevy

61 chevy

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

If you were closer I'd already be at your door.

That thing is screaming "I want to be an El Specialmino." I would gladly make it happen.

18. 41fordor

41fordor

Laramie Machine has a good reputation for building engines. I use Gary at McKims Upholstery for all my interior work. He has a dealer license and sells some cars on the side, he might sell it on consignment since he knows a lot of car club people

19. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

I haven't really considered ebay only because it would be expensive and a hassle to ship long distance due to the fact that it doesn't run. So anyone really interested would have to be near by...or get it so cheap that the shipping cost are offset. I am open to whatever but I think Craigslist (although at times can be very frustrating) is my best bet

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you want a $1,000 I'd start at $1300 so they can bargain with you...

21. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

thanks for all the advice. I'll update with any progress

22. young olds

young olds

I got a 62 olds wagon, body seems worse on mine but all glass is there and a mostly complete car. paid $200
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He did want the car gone though

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not to insult your car at all but I hope you can get at least scrap price out of it from someone who wants to save it.

It takes a unique individual to find beauty in a ugly duck like this and an even more unique one to be willing to sink money and work into fixing one up.

Not to try and help make this a classified ad but is anyone out there brave enough to try and make one of these cool?

24. Terraizer

Terraizer

Does it have a good title? That has a lot to do with its value.

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like the olds but this is the best inspirational pic I could find for the little buick.
    [​IMG]

26. Way to help a guy out, bet your a joy to hang around with.....

If i didn't have my share of projects, and you were a little closer we'd be talking. Missed out on a 61 years ago, and it's on my to get list
    Bet Ron doesn't think 61's are an 'ugly duck'
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333586&highlight=buick+gasser
    I know 2 door vs. wagon...but wagons are cool!

27. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

Yes some may think she's an ugly Duck but She DOES have a clear title!! I'm not too worried about selling it... honestly if I could only get scrap price for it I would just keep it. Looks better sitting next to my shop then it does in a crusher.

28. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

for your viewing pleasure
    [​IMG]

29. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

30. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

pretty sweet tow hitch right?