Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front end suspension squeak help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francisco., Dec 30, 2013.

1. Francisco.

Francisco.

I'm working on getting my 63 chevy impala road worthy. When I go over potholes, up a driveway, train tracks or rough streets the driver side front corner squeaks quite loud. I've replaced the front wheel bearings and shocks with good quality parts. Any ideas what it may be?

2. ball joints , tie rod ends , control arm bushings

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Most likely inner control arm bushings. Could also be sway bar bushings.

4. bumper- fender

5. Could be the spring pad rubber is shot. HRP

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Most likely HRP suggestion that the anti squeek from the spring pad is bad, As the spring compresses it turns slightly and with no pad it makes a noise.

7. sobpunx

sobpunx

Have you got under it with a grease gun? My 54 started squeaking so I greased every fitting I could find and no more squeak.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Francisco.

Francisco.

Yeah I did but I may have missed something, I'm going to go over it again.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Had in squeak in the front suspension [Volare] of my 53F100 that I could not track down. Everything was new and I thought properly lubed. Had a chance to put it up on a lift in a friends auto repair shop on one of his slow days to see if I could find it. Seemed to be upper ball joint that I had lubed, could still see a dab of grease on the zert. However, he used his pneumatic grease gun on it and no more squeak.

10. Take the upper control arm bushing retainers loose and pack some light grease into them. Then retighten. This will push grease into the metal shaft bushing area. Squeak will disappear. Lube with brake fluid will work also.