Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '34 Ford Truck, Hay Hauler to Hot Rod(Done!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3dnsouth, Dec 15, 2013.

1. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Your truck coming along great!! Very impressed with your fabrication.

2. A Boner

A Boner

Nice truck! Keep the pic's coming.

3. Looks great!

4. Larry - The bed sides measure 55 1/2" long.

Thanks fellas, glad y'all are likin' the progress. I'm hangin' with the full Moons!! Never had second thoughts. Nice lookin' little truck ya had there HRP.

5. Nice truck, great work, looks real familiar, same chop, door bottoms, skins and same new bed.

Attached Files:

6. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Truck Build!

Can't wait to see it finished!

T

7. HRP still has ... if memory serves correct its the same truck in his avatar pic, just gone thru and re painted , :D , very :Dnice little truck for sure , on both

8. awesome build, definitely going to share this with my students. I have one question, what did you do with the rest of the truck chassis you started with?

9. Close but no cigar,,the 1930 Model A went do the road back in the 80's.

[​IMG]

The 1932 is my current pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

10. Comfortably? It would be close. I'm 6' 185 and I'm really OK. It would be a personal preference thing. Can't go much bigger though.

11. When I last left off, it was time to do the counterclockwise with it. I almost did the 'well, let's drive it for a bit to work out any kinks' option. I decided not to, since it just makes it harder to blow it back apart. Besides, it just adds dirt, oil, and other stuff where it doesn't need to be.

More pictures. Counterclockwise....man, it's hard to go backwards!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. More parts n' pieces. I put the 2 1/4" Ford truck brakes on the new tubes for the quickchange.

[​IMG]

Bigs n' littles and the bed.

[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  13. Here's the pedal assembly and the bell crank for the clutch fork. I cut the length of the original '34 truck pedals down (about an inch and a half). Man, those babies were long. The bell crank mounts between some brackets I welded on the side of the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also made some other parts and pieces (that's the fun of workin' in the shop, right, don't pick up the phone, make some stuff....!) for the motor. Fabbed up a center fitting for the fuel lines for the 3x2. Didn't like the fitting on the right at all, it got chunked. Ground, filed, and polished some 90's to look presentable, too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like I wind up havin' half of my files, sandpaper, grinders, and other 'stuff' out before I get done workin' something over to make it better.
    [​IMG]

Mtn Goat and D-Russ like this.
  14. Another thing I had trouble finding that looked decent, and maybe different, were some wire looms for the plug wires. I decided to make some from some stainless nuts, 3/16" stainless rod, and a little flat plate for some tabs. I drilled the nuts out so they were smooth inside. Set the flats together to get my right pattern (made for easy TIGin' too). A little weldin', a little grindin', and a little polishin'....bam, some wire looms.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and Asphalt Angel like this.
  15. More parts to the floor. Man, I hate that, but gotta go through with it.
    Front end stuff and rear bars...
    [​IMG]

Some stuff for the chromers. I used F1 front shock mounts, reshaped as needed.:D
    [​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  16. Man everything is looking great,but the wire looms are just plain thinking outside the box and look beautiful. HRP

17. Now that's an update!

18. Very nice fab work, totally cool package. JW

19. A big THANKS guys, it means a lot! I enjoy my time in the shop and enjoy seeing everyone elses projects here on the HAMB. Keep it fun boys, AND girls!

Posted by electronic magic, HAMB app

20. Great Build!!! your fab work and attention to detail is awesome!

21. Looks Sweet, Can't wait to see some more!!!

22. jfrolka

jfrolka

bitchin lil hotrod pickup!

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very nice build. AND...those wire looms are outa sight!

24. What a hack job! Does attention to detail mean anything to you?! Stop cutting corners!

Kidding obviously. Hate I haven't gotten to make it up that way to see it in person. I hope the mini-crawl goes well tomorrow. Gotta work so I may not get to meet up with you fellas. Take care and keep it up. These guys are gonna shit when they realize how much further along you are on it than this!

Steel in Motion 2014! Keep on it!

-Joseph

25. Thanks men!

JOSEPH....WHAT UP! I was hopin' you'd be able to swing on in tomorrow. Work it in if ya can, I know how that workin' thing goes.

Yeah, gotta upload more pics for sure, damn it takes time (for me anyway...).

26. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I love your imagination, truck is looking great!

27. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

You have some great ideas and fab skills and much patience to get everything looking so cool. Really great build. Thanks for posting and sharing your pics.

28. nobby

nobby

great

has anyone got a pair of doors and a rear panel 32 or 33/34

thanks

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  29. Man, past time to put up some more pictures. The fun part of any project is the sanding and all of the paint prep, NOT! But, it's the necessary work to have a nice looking hot rod, something you're proud to show up in, something to take your lady ridin' in.

SO... it was on to it. I'm not a painter by any stretch, a man has got to know his limitations. Now is not the time to experiment laying down some metallic. I can sand and smooth, but layin' down a nice metallic is best done by the experts (unless you'd like to replay the 'sand' tune a few times, as would be the case if I was shooting it:D) I took it over to my buddy Chad Adams, he can lay down some paint. He has Adams Hot Rod Shop, just a few miles away.

On to some progress pics.

Jackie gettin' in on the action on the roof. The crown was a mess.

[​IMG]

You can tell by the high and low spots just how 'not' straight this cab was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND, what's a hot rod without louvers? Took my tailgate down to Chuck Weber (great guy) in Peachtree City, had him punch some rows in the tailgate. I'm using a '35/'36 tailgate because I wanted the Ford script on there, I like it. Chuck's dies have just the right curve.
    [​IMG]

30. Here are some shots of the frame prep. I could post a lot of sanding pictures, but they're just about as exciting as sanding. Cool ones and good tunes ease the pain :D.

[​IMG]

Yup, in the booth. I lost track of how many coats and sanding on all of this stuff. Believe me, it's not a 'prime it, block it, paint it' affair.
    [​IMG]

D-Russ likes this.