Register now to get rid of these ads!

R. I. P. Andy Granatelli passed away today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rich Venza, Dec 29, 2013.

1. What a life he lived. R.I.P. Mr Granitelli.

2. Boatmark

Boatmark

When I was a kid STP Headquarters was in Ft. Lauderdale, and we passed it quite often. There was one of the "wedge" turbine cars in the lobby you could see through the glass. One day when I was maybe eight or nine, I got my mom to drive in, so me and my buddy could see it up close from the driveway. (the building sat way back from the road) The receptionist saw us, came to the door and waved for us to come in. We were in heaven getting to see the car up close.

Next thing we know, out through a door comes Mr. Granatelli. He spent about a half hour showing us the car, taking panels off to explain things, and let us each sit in it. You can imagine the reaction from two car crazed little kids. We left there with decals and T-shirts, and whatever else they had - and a lifetime memory. I think we really got lucky, because (I think) his normal office was in Chicago. I don't know that he ever lived in Lauderdale full time.

Rest In Peace Mr. Granatelli - you packed enough automotive adventure into one life, to keep five men busy. And proved to be a good guy to boot.

3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

Read his book 40 years ago ...gonna have to revisit it again ...he was the first car guy I ever read about ... sad day

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

This is really sad news but something I have been concerned about for 25 years because of his obesity. I got to know Andy Granatelli about 25 years ago after I purchased and restored the twin Paxton supercharged '62 Plymouth he turned 192 at Bonneville with in '62. About 2 years ago he called me to ask if I still owned it. He said he was trying to assemble his old race cars for a museum.

There have been only a few who have had as large an impact in hot rodding that equal his and his family. He has always been a "larger than life" figure to me.

My condolences to his family.

Attached Files:

5. Mr. Granatelli and his organization greatly contributed to the popularity of the Indy 500 in the 60's. Growing up in Indiana, I always rooted for the STP cars during the race. My stingray bike and room was plastered with the STP stickers. I'm saddened to hear that he passed. God bless Mr. Granatelli and his family.

6. Terrible80

Terrible80

Wow! i met him back in the '80s when I worked briefly for TuneupMasters. Talk about larger than life, told us how he used to carry a battery and cables as a kid in winter, jumping cars in Chicago for a $1. He was a big man, and his opening remark at dinner was , you may think I'm fat. But, my confidence tells me you guys are undernourished!

7. Andy Granatelli's name will always be synonymous with the STP brand,the man was a entrepreneur,innovator,showman and had a big heart in his plus sized body.

He left a indelible mark on history both in racing and business.

In the late 1960's very few hot rods didn't have the now iconic STP sticker in the rear quarter window.

Good Speed Mr. Granatelli...HRP[​IMG]

8. bonesy

bonesy

R.I.P. Mr. Granatelli.

9. teddyp

teddyp

R.i.p andy granatelli

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

An amazing man, and a real force in automotive history! Wish he could have saved Studebaker. RIP Andy!

11. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

When the Granatelli brothers promoted the "Hurricane Race Cars" at, I believe Soldier Field, they pulled one of the greatest stunts any promoter ever did.

During the feature, there was an accident and the race was stopped or under caution, the specifics elude me. The "injured" driver was put into the ambulance and the race resumed. Next scene...the ambulance is in the race & running in the pack, the crowd goes wild. Then the back door of the ambulance flies open & the stretcher with the "injured" driver (actually a dummy) rolls out onto the track. That my friends was promotion at it's finest.

And the brothers were die hard racing guys. The first time they tried to run Indy in the late 40's they towed their pre-WWII Indy car from Chicago to the speedway with a rope.

Thanks Andy for being larger than life and proving that it ain't bragging if you can do it.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Back in 48 at Indy, AG fancied himself a racing driver. Passed the rookie test and attempted to qualify one of his old FWD Millers but it didn't go so good. Pretty much left the driving to others after that.

Attached Files:

13. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

RIP Andy.

And Prayers to Michael Schumacher is been a bad weekend.

14. belair

belair

What a car guy. I read his book in the 9th grade, in 1972. Never forgot it. I wonder how many of us had those STP stickers on our notebooks, bikes, and finally our cars? I will never forget the whipping Willie Zimmerman got in 6th grade for putting a BIG STP sticker on his desk in the 6th grade. Thanks for all the memories, Andy. RIP.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup. I read his book when I was a kid. RIP Mr. Granatelli.

16. Same here. It's hard to fathom that he was 90 years old! Man, does time fly. I remember, as a kid, watching with great anticipation, the Indy 500 back when ABC carried it in the late '60s and through the '70s, before the advent of cable. One of the very few, if not the only, races that was carried live on television. Chris Economaki was the star announcer back then. The turbine Indy cars were sooooo cool, and had such a neat sound that was neat in the same sense as the old Offy-powered cars had, but so different at the same time!

RIP, Andy Granatelli. You were one of the best, and classiest, car drivers, owners, and innovators out there. Never afraid to take a chance!

17. slammed

slammed

18. showrod

showrod

R.I.P. Andy, you will not be forgotten. thank you for all your contributions to the sport.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Truly "The Racers Edge". Those STP stickers were everywhere! I remember my friends and I had some many, we covered our school books with them. Which caused my parents to pay for the books at schools end. My dad swore by the engine treatment, which seemed more like a sophisticated blend of "motor honey".

20. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Ironically and I must admit a little creepy I started reading his autobiography " They Call Me Mister 500" about a week ago which I almost have finished and highly recommend reading. People and myself included seem to know him from his racing exploits but Andy and his two brothers Joe and Vince were born Hot Rodders from the start and did so much to help Hot Rodding and racing grow in the Midwest. I only saw Andy one time at the Auburn, Indiana Car Auction and he spoke on stage promoting his museum that was being built nearby but sadly the museum never opened. He was a large than life personality and his automotive contributions would be hard to ever match. My condolences to his family, friends and fans.

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I can remember wearing the cool STP t-shirts that we got for free at the Indy Nationals. I still wear an STP shirt that I bought at a Target store I think. I think Granatelli was one of the few owners who were just as famous and well known as the drivers of his day. A sad day for racing fans for sure, but what a life and legacy!

22. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Guys like Andy were rare back in the day and I think they are pretty much extinct now...

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There are some great guys, doing great things today. They just seem to get lost in all the bullshit.

24. the book is a great read....the Novi chapter...well it's sad...the Stude stuff and yes....those stickers - STP - to ya Andy...thanks for all you did...and....a Dallas boy at that...

lwf

25. Hyfire

Hyfire

Sad to see another legend go, but hell... 90 years is a good run. A true car guy in every way. Right up until the end.

26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Another real pioneer gone---R.I.P.

27. I've had the privilege and honor visiting Andy at his house after meeting him at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

He invited me for dinner and he told me he loves to eat which is evident by the size of his fire suit!

Rest in peace Andy !

Godspeed ... God bless your family!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

28. 36ford

36ford

Rest in peace Andy. I will always be grateful for the time you took explaining the history of the GRANCOR flathead.

Grancor1.JPG

Grancor2.JPG

Your memory will live on.