Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '26 Model T build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xrw urabus, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Just found this thread and am really enjoying the build! I have a T that I want to make a speedster out of, but sort of lost interest in it over the years. Your build has me thinking about it again, and taking lots of notes. Thanks for the motivation, hopefully I will get back to work on mine after the first of the year.

2. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

SDJunkMan Welcome to the Hamb! I'm always glad to here that our screwing around in the garage inspires someone else. We really try to have fun doing it (might be why it takes us so long to do anything). Also feel free to use anything you see in the build. Most of these Ideas are not new. We've borrowed from other builders here on the Hamb (mr.modelT, powerwagonmaniac, etc) or from articles and photos from the 20's and 30's (these were the guys that thought this up). One thing I can say is when you start building. Start a thread here, it helps keep you motivated, and when you get stuck on a bit of it you can get help. Or like us when you make a (big) mistake folks offer good advise/ ideas on how to correct it. Nice little community of gear heads live here.

Thanks again,
    CBB

3. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

I have a couple quick items today.

First is this thing that I found this on my front porch the other day... Does anyone know what it is? Guesses? thoughts? Should I open it?

[​IMG]

Maybe It should wait awhile.

We are having a bit of a debate on what to do with the rear shock mount.

Option 1 is modify the linkage back to having a pivot on both ends (bone shaped).

Option 2 is remake the mount so that it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Please excuse my crappy rendering.

The upper leg of the u would be linger and have a sleeve. The Dog bone end of the linkage would ride on the sleeve. This way we can apply plenty of pressure to hold everything in place. (yes this was inspired by the muffler clamp).
    Cross bar would be held in place by a lock nut and a large washer (not in the drawing).

Any thoughts, concerns, or Ideas?
    Let us have them.

Thanks,
    CBB

4. kelly mt

kelly mt
    from Noxon, MT

Just found this thread. This is good stuff! I started reading from the first post, interesting to see all the thinking and tinkering. I'll be watching until the end. Thanks PK.

5. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Beautiful! I love the header on the engine. The suspension work is great. Keep on truckin'

6. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Wow guys,

Welcome to the HAMB. Glad everyone is enjoying the build! but make sure you poke around here a bit there are tons of great builds happening here on the HAMB. We'll keep updating till we get her all done, and would be happy to a few more along on the journey.

CBB

7. xrw urabus

xrw urabus
    from ohio

OK OK....Bruce keeps whining that I need to post something on the thread I started.

1) I don't need to post every time something gets done....Bruce does that enough for both of us.

2) I work on computers for a living and don't want to spend more time in front of one while I am at home, unless I have to. NOTE***I am doing this at work now*** :)

3) If you pay close attention to the photos and see all the other cars and boats in the background you would know someone has to maintain all that crap.

4) Also if you notice the garage/work shop has went through a complete renovation.

5) On a fun note in post:228 We asked what part of Lizzy was showen? No answers...It was the entire original paint job.

6) We will be off work during the holidays and can hopefully get something done. Getting the frame/aux trans buttoned up and the body setting on the frame would be a great Christmas present.

Jim

8. OPEN THE BOX ALREADY!!!! Love the build.

9. xrw urabus

xrw urabus
    from ohio

"This box is meowing."

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

".....and this other box is leaking, it must Aunt Bethany's jello mold"

:D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Merry Christmas to All!!!...Happy Hot Rodding too!

12. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Since there seems to be some interest in what was in the mystery box. We loaded it up and took it to the shop to open it up today. and this is what we found... It looked so nice that we had to set it on the car body and play with it.

[​IMG]

Now Half open
    [​IMG]

Fully open
    [​IMG]

Yes we know that it's not "proper" for this car to have a sliding roof. Our first choice was to go Roof less... but we live in Ohio where the weather is not sunny and warm all the time. So the Slider was the best compromise we could come up with. (let the flaming begin) We plan to drive this thing a lot, and Girls don't like to get wet...;)

While we were in the shop today we decided to get some real work done too. So we punched 10 more 3/8" holes in the frame. Then Hot riveted the Front Radius arm mounting plates to the frame.

[​IMG]

We were so happy with the way the backs turned out I took a quick shot of them just for you guys.

[​IMG]

We have some minor tweeks that are needed to increase the clearance of the Radius arms to the mounting plates. Other then that we're very happy with the way they work. The front end is much stiffer now and everything is nice and tight.

So What are your thoughts on what you see here? Is it going to work or are w nuts?

CBB

13. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I like the idea of the top. Half considered one for the A. Do you think though it will be out of place w rest of the car? All that hard work w keeping the vintage feel. Just my 2 pennies.

Later, Bill

14. I like the slider, being cloth I think it will have a vintage feel. They did have convertible's back then and a few of the high end models did have sliding roofs.

15. noboD

noboD

16. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

FirePilot I'm going to have to print that photo out! Just to have it for folks that say it's not period :) Nice Find! Thank you very much.

CBB

17. fattoy

fattoy

LOVE the sliding roof

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I take it you had that made? Can I ask where? Kind of a neat touch.

19. Glad I could help love the build. I knew it was something cool in that box.

20. daddio211

daddio211

Who cares what other think? I mean, I know you want to stay "traditional" as do I on my builds, but bottom line is that you need to be happy with it. I've always planned on doing a sliding rag on an A Tudor, but the one I had and built already had the top filled pretty nicely. One day I'll have a sliding rag in an early Ford and I won't care what anyone else says.

If anyone gets real butt hurt over it tell them it was a rare option from Ford of France.

21. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

BigCheese,

I found a site that has these standard. http://www.slidingragtops.com/ They are based out of Phoenix, parent company is Legacy products (one company multiple sites). They have stock options or will make the top with your fabric also will do a custom liner for it.

The one we chose was the 40" x 40" black fabric.

CBB

22. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

What a great build , Thanks for shareing,,,, Beth

23. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

With the Radius mounts riveted onto the frame We were able to set the angle on the front axle.

With a little adjustment we got a 7 degree angle, and the front end is nice and stiff now.

[​IMG]

With the front buttoned up for now we turned our attention to the Aux Trans.

When last you saw this we had fixed the cracks around the jack shaft bearing cups. We also fixed some of the stripped threads in a couple of the bolt holes (the fact that we didn't fix them all will come back to bite us soon).

First thing was a nice wire wheel cleanup on the out side of the case. Then it was on to assembly
    [​IMG]

We're going to skip ahead abit...

After fighting with putting bolts into the holes from the inside, and getting the jack shaft in. the gears cover the two lower bolts so you can't tighten them easily, being covered in RTV and axle grease. The top was being assembled when I noticed that everything was backwards. I managed to put the jack shaft in backwards...

After tearing the trans back apart the decision was made that all the bolt holes had to be fixed.
    But the Acetylene tanks were empty. After a delay to get them filled we were able to get all the holes filled.

[​IMG]

Next adventure will be getting the holes re-drilled and tapped.

With the setbacks and family events over the Holidays we didn't get quite as far as we hoped while we were off but we're still making progress.

CBB

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice work as always boys!

The folding top idea looks really good on this car, and was an idea I had played with in the planing stages of my short lived '26 Chrysler coupe project. Glad to see someone actually doing it.

The front end work (riveted plates, radious rods, etc) turned out exceptionally well as I expected it would :) Did you get your clearence issues between the radious rod ends and the frame mounting plates sorted out?

I love the attention to detail you are putting towards the Warford. The Aluminum case Warfords were intended for cars and are desireable....but the cases can take a beating. I think you guys will enjoy learning to shift it. Here is a quick vid I shot with Chris to illustrate shifting...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/au8NyQRGbv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think you guys are doing excellent work, keep at it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

First time looking through this whole thread, very good work! When you painted the body with POR 15 how did it spray? Did you have to reduce it? Ive used it on small projects but used a brush. Its very good stuff though.

26. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Unit8,
    We sprayed the Por 15 on the body. We did thin it a little with the por brand reducer. You can't thin it much I think we added .5 oz to a 16 oz spray cup(read the label for details... It was a year ago so the details are fuzzy) it sprays nice and easy. Lays down super smooth. We ran it through a finishing gun. I think we got 3 very heavy coats on the body (doors, trunk, head light buckets) from a single can.

On the frame we brushed it. We chose to brush it because we didn't have a booth setup and only had a short timeframe to complete the painting (weather was turning cold and there is no real heat in the shop).
    I think it sprays smoother.

CBB

27. Wow, watching that video reminds me of riding with a friend in an old B Model Mack with a Duplex transmission. He made it look easy but there was a whole lot more to it than what meets the eye. :rolleyes:

28. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

beautiful tall T build! just got done reading through the thread, keep up the good work.

ccd

29. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Sorry Guys... We got nothing to show for this weekend... Best weather we've had in weeks, and I was sick. Hopefully I'll be able to make up some time before it turns bad again..

CBB