Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Impala Garage find.....Kinda out of my element...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, May 14, 2011.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

2. afaulk

afaulk

Seems like I even remember a song about one of these. Green with envy in Alabama....

3. slammed

slammed

Imagine some high rollers will be contacting you for some or all of this stash.

4. titus

titus

Im with this guy, just bolt the front end together loosly, bring a chunk of Conduit and a hammer and drill and you can make a simple drag link, wam bam thank ya mam!

Looks like a fun car to play with!

jeff

5. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

some one mentioned 2500 what a joke the air cleaner is worth more than half of that .

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One of my favorite years of Chevys.......such a clean, pretty design. Good luck with your new car, Dave. Knowing how you do things it will be done right.
    Don

7. syracusegli

syracusegli
    from ny

damn! im jealous.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Congrats Dave. You played this one right by the book by being up front and honest from the get go. Don't know your plans but I'd do a meticulus cleaning of everything and reassemble with new gaskets, put a stock exhaust back on and get it drivable. I'd do it this way just to recreate as close as possible what it might have been like to pick it up new and experience that first drive.
    Keep us up to date with whatever you decide.

Frank

9. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Congratulations Dave.! You'll never be sorry about that purchase. I was also lucky enough to buy a one owner, rust free, 29Kmi original driveline '62 SS 409 4-spd 10 years ago and I paid twice what the high estimates were on this thread for yours. The car was in the same condition as yours but not taken apart.
    Check the block to make sure the VIN is still on the pad. That will add a lot to the provenance. Make sure and take plenty of pictures of everything before you clean things up or restore them.

Verne;)

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I spent some more time cleaning and moving things today.......Cleared most of the stuff that was piled as high as the decklid and covering the decklid.........I removed [7] dead somethings so far.......The one pic you can see under the driverside of the car .......you can see the huge pile of feces........it is all over the place....I was able to clear along side the passenger side of the car into that bay...I was able to load up the [2] big blocks and the other 409 which was a short block, with the same block # 3788068 as the other bare block....The [2] Big Blocks must have been old drag race engines...The one looks to be a tall deck truck engine w/ aluminum rods a square port heads.....I also found the other missing 3814682 ex manifold so that gives me two sets of manifolds w/ correct #'s for the high HP engines.........

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

12. slammed

slammed

Roller rockers, high domes. #'s for rare factory parts, its a treasure trove of goodies.

13. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Great find!
    Looking forward to the build thread on this one for sure.

14. titus

titus

I just got a 64 impala wagon that would look good with 409 under the hood!:)

15. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Awesome find and even better that you scored it. As you know this stuff is rare and carry valuable. The heads alone are worth big money. One of the best 409 scores in awhile!

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, I missed the thread the first time around but what a find and what a car. I'm waiting for the post on how you get it out of there but I'm like the gent who said bolt the a frames and spindles on and use some blocks in place of the springs. A piece of something for a tie rod and you can roll it right onto a trailer and be able to stop at the car wash on the way home to flush it off.

17. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Speechless....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You probably know, but be REALLY careful with that rat shit. It is very nasty stuff, so wear a respirator and shower immediately when you are done and wash all your clothes. It is nothing to mess around with.

Don

19. I don't think I could sleep until all of it was out of there. The neighbors see a guy coming and taking stuff, might give them the itch to help themselves before it's all gone.

20. Amazing find & snag! Glad you caught it ...
    subscribed

21. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I have fainted and come to 4 times so far while trying to read this thread.....

22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m so stoked about your find, way cool!
    I got my 62 Impala in 1997 with 15600 original miles, no 409 but 283 with powerglide... now I´ve got 25000 or so on it. I always wanted a 409 car, maybe one day, hahaha I´m still young... kind of.
    Thanks for sharing your find, I can´t wait to see you putting here back home on the 1/4 mile!

Attached Files:

23. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

I agree it is not a muscle car more accurately known from that era as a "SUPER CAR"!

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

This just gets better as it goes. Great find and thanks for updating as you go Littleman. What's next, a Z-11 in the trunk? :eek: :D

25. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Just great that people are still finding this stuff ! And for once the roof didn't fall in and ruin it all.
    Nice find, good luck with your treasure !

26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Congratulations. Looks like a great car.
    The best part is you did it the right way. No pressure and built a relationship with the owner.

27. tedster

tedster

Wow.Lucky dog award for you.

28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He shoots... He scores!! Excellent find. I'll be watching this one. Enjoy!

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

TOO TRUE!
    10 years ago, I had a '63 T Bird given to me, factory white, red interior, 40K orig miles...engine disassembled, when we took the car off the trailer I opened the hood, 3 or 4 rats were running all over the open engine.
    The car reeked of rat pee & mousepoop!
    After letting it 'air out' for a week, I guessed it was okay to proceed with dismantling it...
    I cleaned everything, interior (wiring and foam inside seats were chewed, rats had been in there for awhile)

3 or 4 days later, I got what felt like asthma...plus 'light-headed' and near fainting spells.
    Doctor prescribed pills, checked for COPD, too much to tell over the following 6 YEARS!
    Beware of the rat leavings, at all costs! Don is spot-on, Yes, including washing clothes!

I can't stress enough the way it kicked this guy's butt.

Thrilled with your find, and the straight-up way you dealt with the seller.

30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Sounds like a good idea.