Register now to get rid of these ads!

45 Years Ago Today Saw My First Big Meet At South Glens Falls Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bucksnort, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

You are welcome,Butch.Glad you enjoyed them.

The Brown Log..think I passed out in their parking lot a few times:).

Less hectic..indeed.

2. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Hell,you can stagger home from McGregor,Dave.

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Say hi to Donny for me.He left a lasting impression on this teenager with an Instamatic.Glad to read he is still hanging in there.
    Hope all is well with both of you.

4. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Man, that Chevy is getting around. Seems the price went down a little.

5. Motion bird

Motion bird

Cool Bucksnot. I signed up here a while back but hadn't been around in a while. I saw that car and googled the name and it took me here and I have been lurking here for a few weeks now. Its good to see that people who knew abbout the car were able to keep track of it.

6. r57chevy

r57chevy
    from cary nc

Jay Miner from Latham/Colonie area with Hemi 1964 Plymouth.He would build "The Trip" funny car that last I heard is down south with a big bucks collector fully restored.
    THE 65 PLYMOUTH SAVOY TRIP CAR HAS NOT BEEN RESTORED YET. I BOUGHT THE TRIP CAR FROM JAY WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL! ...IT IS WITH A HIGH $$$ COLLECTOR BUT THEY HAVE 2 CARS AHEAD OF IT TO RESTORE..

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

So,tell us more.What year did you buy the car?You had it all these years?You from capital district?Jay still with us?
    PS: Do an introduction-top of first page.

8. ronzio

ronzio

tom ditma owned the norwood mgtd

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Bucksnort,

Thanks so much for sharing your scrapbook with us. Your pictures are so fun to look at!

10. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ronzio,found some pics of Norwood Chevelle-my scanner is screwed up so hope to get it fixed soon.

Glad you enjoy them,Rolleiflex.
    It was a blast growing up there.

11. flintstonecharger

flintstonecharger
    from Mass.

Had chance to buy car few years ago,beyond my wallet,car actually was 64 aluminum nose,door real Hemi Super Stock w/4-spd.,was updated to 65 nose& tail lites when made into AWB,think I read somewhere was last 64 Hemi Plym. built,one of 2 /4 speeds?? Do remember car still had 4-spd. floor hump,alum. door hinges & door window frames attatched to f-glass doors.Imagine back then cutting those doors apart! Owner at time thought aluminum nose and doors were somewhere but never surfaced.Present owner down south will do top notch resto!!

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Steve
    So the Trip was in the area till a few years ago?Me and a buddy were talking about how neat it would be to find it,'course that was a few years ago.r57chevy posted he had bought it from Jay when he was in school but has not come up with any more info.
    Yep,the 64 was alum nose car/stick but did not realize or had forgotten it was turned into the Trip.Too bad you missed out on the buy.Been there.
    Remember Ken Montgomery of 555 fame telling me the Trip was running a stroker motor while Ken was running 426 just like Jay was claiming:).
    You have done a nice job on your uncles car,maybe see you at the Valley/Dover show.

13. flintstonecharger

flintstonecharger
    from Mass.

Car was in Chicopee mass. until 4-5 yrs. ago?? I wanted to buy then reassemble car and get it running leaving the old Hippie paint,make it look barn fresh,now that would be a Trip! Car was bought at Lebanon Valley Swap Meet many years ago,then stashed in Chicopee,guy that owned it did call me before he sold it to see if I was still interested but could not beat offer he had on car from other collector.Some deals not meant to be,hoping to make Valley/Dover show.Later. SteveO

14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Correction on the Ken Montgomery story.Was not the Trip car but when Jay and Fred Traegler ran the '65(converted 64?) in the red white blue paint with the A/MP designation.
    Ken ran Jay in final(I think) at SGF Super Stock show in 1966.Jay claimed 426 but had an arm in his motor,so Ken states.Ken won.
    Really hurts to lose out on a car like that.Will look you up at the Valley.

15. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

KILLER POST !....Our Dover favorites Lagana And Doc Burgess duke it out...didn't know the comet crashed.

16. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Found This ....SAME DAY?

Attached Files:

17. jvore

jvore
    from Roy, Utah

Bob, did you make it to the No. Hudson Reunion. Had a friend go and shot some pics and video, shown here Mr. Blister and the Flying Farmer, glad to see your keeping the memories alive....

Attached Files:

18. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Cant believe I missed this thread. KILLER Bucksnort. Thanks. Slim

19. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Thanks Slim
    Best of times.
    Gotta stay on top of my threads better.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's some cool stuff right there!!

22. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

BTTT for this kickass thread.........

23. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Back from the dead,Butch.
    Going to Lake George this weekend?

24. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

25. r57chevy

r57chevy
    from cary nc

I WAS EITHER 16 OR 17 YEARS OLD BUCKSHORT. JAY DROVE MY SCHOOL BUS (COLONIE CENTRAL HIGH) THAT ONE AND ONLY DAY AND ON THE WAY HOME HE YELLED OUT HE HAD TO STOP AT HIS HOUSE FOR A MINUTE. WHEN HE PULLED UP TO HIS HOUSE, THERE IT WAS, A CAR WITH $500 WRITTEN ON THE WINDSHIELD! ...IT WAS THE TRIP CAR! ..TO ME IT LOOKED LIKE A SUPER HOT ROD..SO WHEN I GOT HOME I TOLD MY BROTHER JOHN
    ABOUT IT AND HE SAID LETS GO CHECK IT OUT...I BOUGHT THE CAR THAT NIGHT. WHILE WE WERE THERE BUYING THE CAR JAY SHOWED US HIS NEW RIDE THAT WAS IN HIS GARAGE, A 1968 PLYMOUTH CUDA FUNNY CAR! GREEN METALIC PAINT WITH " THE TRIP" ON THE DOOR.WE I PUT A 392 HEMI WITH B&M TRANS IN IT.GEORGE GOVEL IN COLONIE MAKE HEADERS FOR IT...I WAS GOING TO TRY AND PUT IT ON THE ROAD,BUT IT WSS NOT TO BE AS IT WOULD HAVE COST A LOT OF MONEY I DIDNT HAVE AND I ENDED UP GETTING A JOB WITH ALLEGHENY AIRLINES WHEN I TURNED 19 AND WAS OFF TO BUFFALO, THAT WAS IN JUNE OF 1972. MY BROTHER SOLD THE CAR FOR ME TO A GUY HE THINKS WSS " DAVE " ...LOST TRACK AFTER THAT TILL I GOOGLED IT A FEW YEARS BACK.THATS WHEN I HEARD FROM THE FREIND OF THE NEW OWNER IN I TJINK TAMPA FLA. IF YOU NEED ANY OTHER INFO PLEASE EMAIL ME AT.
    [email protected] ...I REALLY LOVED THAT CAR AND WANTED IT BACK BUT WSS TOLD ITS NOT FOR SALE. OHH AND IF U EMAIL ME, PLEASE PUT THE TRIP IN THE SUBJECT LINE TO CUT DOWN ON SPAM MY FREIND ....THANKS FOR THE INTREST ..
    RALPH

26. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ralph
    Shaking the cobwebs off of this one.
    Can't imagine $500 for Jays car.Why didn't I search it out way back.
    But then last years race cars were mostly tossed aside for the latest and greatest.
    Things changed so fast then.
    Cool that you had the "Trip" for awhile.
    Did not know he drove a school bus.
    The guy who has it seems to be taking good care of it.
    Thanks for that update.

Bob

27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Bob just stumbled on to this thread, very cool as always. So how is the "Wagon" coming along:cool: Happy New Year and remember Rhinebeck is only about 125 days away:D

Pat

28. enjoyed the read all the way thru.....all the best in the New Year to youse guys...

lawrence

29. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Happy New Year,Pat.

Was mocking up the Brownfields today doing spring height,coil bind etc...

125,just around the corner.

Gonna need crappy weather to keep my ass in the shop and move forward on Bucksnort.

30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Thanks Lawrence.
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    Go back in a heartbeat.

Back at you with the Happy New Year.