Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 chevy c10 oil in the breather

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theylive, Dec 29, 2013.

1. theylive

theylive

Hey guys, I'm getting oil in my air cleaner/breather and I'm not sure if I have the right air cleaner set up. If you notice in the photo, there is a hose coming from the front of the valve cover to the breather And that's where the oil coming in from, I have a new PVC valve btw... Im kinda lost with this and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. R Pope

R Pope

Rings are worn, causing blowby that carries oil out the breather. A little is normal with an older engine. Either live with it or rering.

3. Model T1

Model T1

Son was having this problem with his later SBC. Ran some SeaFoam and drove it hard. Seems to be okay now. Maybe the rings are stuck.

4. theylive

theylive

Did you run sea foam directly in the crank case and how much did you use?
    The engine was supposedly rebuilt a few years ago but hardly driven... I got the truck from my great uncle who has dementia so it's next to impossible to get answers on what has been done to the truck.

5. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It appears that you have a breather in the oil fill hole. With the system that pulls air from the air filter housing, as we have here, there should be a sealed cap in the oil fill hole.

I'm thinking that the open breather in the oil fill hole is preventing the necessary vacuum at the hose to keep it clean, and you are getting back flow there.

6. theylive

theylive

I had a sealed oil cap and it did the same thing... Oil blow back, I replaced it with a breather type cap and no change. Thanks for the post... Keep me' coming, last thing I want to do is a rebuild.

7. theylive

theylive

Does anyone know if it would be a problem to just block off that little hose coming off the valve cover going it to the air cleaner being that I have a breather cap?

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

There should be a baffle inside the valve cover where the hose hooks up,if not there that may be the problem. Won't hurt anything to block off the hose being you have the breather style cap. With the engine running pull the PCV out of the valve cover and see if you have vacuum on the engine side,if not the fitting at the manifold end may be plugged up.

9. theylive

theylive

Thanks for the response. I'll give that a try next year in the morning.