Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are keystone klassics kool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Had a 62 chevy II nova...427 aluminum headed straigbt axel car back in 75....cut up the quarter for wheel height clearance with a 2 inch steel formed flare around the wheel wells in rear ..set of kelly N 50-14 s on 10 inch keystone classics with 4" / 14 s up front....car sat up over stock with the straight axel but level front to rear....gloss black with full factory chrome trim...never had anyone ever say anything other then how badass ass it looked with the stones...everyone was running cragar ss back then...loved the.stones...and would run em the exact say way if.i ever had another 62 chevy II..

But at the same time i ld never run them on Lil Beast.....it ll be running white wall cheaters in the rear on slots..slots in the fronr now also..but considering spokes for up front....

So.i guess it would depend on the car..and what era it was portraying ....
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. sub006

sub006

I've always been a Torq-Thrust and 200S guy, but Kustomags are okay. The best installations I've seen have the cast areas painted to match the car body, but that's just my opinion. If YOU like 'em, that's what your car should wear!

3. sub006

sub006

And the Torq-Thrust was offered for sale starting in '56 or '57, mostly on pure drag race machines. They began migrating to street use in '59 and '60.

Genuine magnesium presented problems on the street, they could crack internally if you hit a curb too hard, setting you up for a potential nasty surprise later on. Not many people would go to the trouble of Zyglo inspections for their street-driven cars. And the surface starts corroding from the moment they leave the mold.

Aluminum "Sport Wheel" versions appeared by around 1964, a huge improvement for street applications. A much more suitable metal for everyday use.

4. kennb

kennb

Ihad Keystone Klassics on my 66' 442. I thought they looked great, then. But that was back in 69'. Don't care for them now. Ken

5. sub006

sub006

I remember the ad someone mentioned, the Kustomags were on a '63 Sting Ray coupe. sitting in a suburban driveway with the front bumpers removed, think it appeared between '64 and '66. Keystone's address was shown in Monterey Park, which is slightly east of L.A. There are still some light industrial areas there, where the wheels could have been manufactured.

6. On the right car-Yes they are cool-Traditional?? Hmmmmm....:confused:

Attached Files:

7. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Are keystone klassics kool?
    Yes,... they are Kool.
    [​IMG]

Just as Kool as...
    [​IMG]

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Of course they are traditional.
    Traditional is not only up to 64 hot rods, its also late 60s and 70s, and they were used on diffrent style rides in that era. Now traditional to this site's standard probably not, but to answer the OP question yes, they are hella kool.:cool:

9. I'd be embarrassed to drive around with batman wheels.

10. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Ha. There's no middle ground when it comes to Keystones. You gotta be a contrarian to appreciate them I guess. I still have the set I bought in '73 hanging on the garage wall.

11. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

x2.

12. 26 roadster

26 roadster

they were cool around here in the late 60's

13. I'd have to agree with you-well said

14. They were cool enough to come as an option in AMT's original 3-in-1 '57 Chevy kit.

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The og batmobile rolled Raders, not Keystones.

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

I liked them on my 65 plymouth, but havent' thought of using the since then. Not that I would't consider them again if I had a real clean set.

Attached Files:

17. GREASER815

GREASER815

Everything is cool to somebody, I personally do not think they are, but alot of others I'm sure do.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Absolutely not. As I posted before. This thread should die along with these cheesy wheels. :D

19. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Very well put. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

20. sntos63

sntos63

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388301157.760456.jpg
    I don't understand all the hating on this thread for Keystones, but my dad used them on a few of his cool rides back in the days and I love them. Here are my parents circa 1974 in Southern California with his '55 on Keystones and thin ww tires. They always look cool as fuck on the right ride. Depends on the person's ability to make things look good. If you got the touch, you got the touch. If not, don't hate. To each his own.

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  21. sntos63

sntos63

Oh yeah BUMP! I know it's an old thread....

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

post #208 looks very bad, but post #295 looks very good. to me, I never liked them. but for some reason they look good on Riviera's. keystones always seem like a wheel that someone would buy who never bought custom wheels before.

23. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Pure awesomeness on the right car.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.