Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car sits Too Low.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Dec 28, 2013.

1. usmile4

usmile4

Now the first thing I'm sure many are saying is "car can't sit too low!" but hear me out.

My car is a 51 Chevy. I bagged the stock front end following the steps that Rustypipes posted back in 2006. I also have the dropped spindles and steering arms from Buffalo Enterprises. Last week I changed out the stock 3rd arm and steering bracket to the 53-62 Corvette one with the different mounting bracket and the center bearing. Today I was checking my toe in and I noticed that the mounting bracket and the tie rod ends seemed to be hanging lower than with the stock one. So I slowly deflated the bags to see what my clearance was.

Here's a picture of the new bracket and how low it hangs.

[​IMG]

So I slowly deflated the bags and sure enough, the bottom of the bracket and the bottom of the tie rods sit right on the floor-especailly the right tie rod with the grease zero on the bottom.

Is there a way to add a stop somehow so at full deflate, the steering will not be on the ground? Or what other suggestions would you have?

2. I was prepared to say "You can't sit too low" but there is no doubt you have proven that old adage wrong.

I can't offer any suggestions to correct your problem but I sure hope some can offer a solution. HRP

3. Try putting some of the stock stuff back in.

4. sobpunx

sobpunx

Can you add some thicker bump stops where the stock ones would be?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. metal man

metal man

Sounds like a no brainier to me. I would put the stock spindles back on it. The car is not safe to drive the way it is now.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Build a spacer above the bag.

7. usmile4

usmile4

Can't put a bump stop back in as that area was cut out for the bag. I have disk brakes from Buffalo that require the dropped spindles.

This is how I have the bags mounted in the spring hat. What would be the best way to add a spacer to this?

[​IMG]

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More tube, on top of that tube. That appears to be pipe. A local supplier should be able to sell you a little.

9. bako48

bako48

Yep just weld another piece of pipe to the cup.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Even with the spacer, do you want your steering to be the lowest part of the car?

11. usmile4

usmile4

That's how the 53-62 Vettes were. They used the same front end as the 49-54 cars.

12. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Just curious, what was the purpuse of the Corvette steering components? If the stock arm sits higher why not just go back to that.

13. usmile4

usmile4

The stock steering uses a kingpin on the 3rd arm. The corvette uses a bearing. The steering is tighter and smoother.

14. bri0057

bri0057

I went with the the corvette arms, rods and 3rd arm on my 51 but seeing how low hanging it was, I changed back to the original. A good rebuilt original that is greased regularly works just as well. Its a much better trade off than ripping the 3rd arm off and loosing control of the car.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

skid plate/partial belly pan - different bags/shockwaves - hi tech management height controller -

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014