Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Caspian Blue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Dec 28, 2013.

1. 3spd

3spd

A little mystery for you guys:

I bought a 1956 Buick wagon a few years back that had been repainted at least once in its life, now here is the weird part, some how I recall it was painted caspian blue from the factory. BUT looking today I cannot find caspian blue as a factory color in 1956 and I have since scrapped that body and didn't save the body tag, even though I had planned on saving it.

I do see that caspian blue was available in 1947 on Oldsmobiles. I don't think I would have misremembered caspian blue, that is a weird name to just come up with. As far as I know I was unaware that was even a paint color until I somehow looked it up for my buick. Somewhere I would imagine I have a picture of the body tag but it might be on a different computer so until then; is it possible my buick was originally painted 1947 olds caspian blue from the factory?

This was an odd car to begin with, it came factory all manual: manual windows, seat, steering, transmission, breaks, but with a radio. And it was a wagon. So maybe when de-optioning it they went with a diffrent paint as well?

Here is a picture of the body, you can see spots of what I belive to be the origional paint:
    [​IMG]

Which looks pretty damn close to this: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?paintx=1947|GM|Caspian Blue|48387

So am I crazy and just pulling the name from where the sun don't shine or could there be something to this?

Thanks,
    Ryland

2. indyjps

indyjps

3. CDXXVII

CDXXVII
    from Vermont

FWIW the name Caspian Blue shows up on the 1965 Ford option list.
    Seems odd that marketing names would get reused by a competing manufacturer.

4. Tritone

Tritone

Can't help you with the name, but an uncle of mine bought a new Buick waggy in '56; same exact color of blue, with white roof. One-upped my dad's '56 Bel Air...

5. 3spd

3spd

I thought the same but there I really doubt I came up with caspian on my own and just happened to be a color, specifically a GM color of similar tone.

Thanks for the responses guys!

Ryland

6. GM used the same colors on several of their lines...don't know if they used the same names or changed them from make to make. My 48 Pontiac had a similar metallic blue on the top called "blue lake blue" .

Attached Files: