Register now to get rid of these ads!

George Barris’s Asteroid Corvette heads to auction

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by blowby, Dec 28, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

2. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I won't be bidding....

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Not a Vette fan but what a waste.

4. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

How much you think that will bring?

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Nice touch mags on left side and wires on the right really confused a lot of people.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well, I like the mill...

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This forum is for the history of custom cars and I believe this car if the real one is historical although not my flavor...please keep this thread clean and do not bash Mr. Barris. Thank you

8. I like it,it is a part of history and like hot rods not every custom built is a mile stone but significant none the less.

If I had deep pockets I would be bidding on it. HRP

9. I'm with Royal Shifter. It's a Barris Kustom, therefore significant, whether you like it or not. Thats your opinion.

10. slammed

slammed

It is almost mild for Barris. Looks good, period perfect custom.

11. I really like it even more in race trim. HRP

[​IMG]

12. I sure as H--- would't throw it out of my driveway!!!!

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was a kid, I would have loved that. Not now.

14. The engine is killer. HRP

[​IMG]

15. Cooler than stock!

16. syracusegli

syracusegli
    from ny

i bet it brings over 100k

or a million?

17. probably 100K+ if it even stops there!

18. Thank you for this. No drama intended, but there are those who see the name and feel compelled to jump on a thread for no other reason. Get over it.......It gets old...Centurion9

19. Tony

Tony

YEP! There are a couple of small items i dont care for but overall the "race trim" look is pretty wild. Id drive it! :)

As for how much? NO clue, but i think its one of the nicer of Barris's creations. Wouldnt think twice if it didnt pull stupid money.

Tony

20. While I know it's too 'over the top' for most people, I love metalflake paint..... :D

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, I dig the paint too. Not big on the extended beak or the exhaust.

22. 'Mo

'Mo

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As a high schooler, I sure liked that 'Vette and remember it well from the car mags. But the mods don't seem to have worn well - as many of the early customs also look awkward. It was an influence of sorts on this model I did. Looking back, the model isn't much either, but I did get a trophy for it at the local hobby shop's Testor's model contest. I should have went more gasser with it, eh? Gary

[​IMG]

24. Not a fan of most Barris cars but I really like this one. Race trim is my favorite. Before G Nichols posted I was thinking this is how I would have built a Vette Model as a kid, over the top flake included!

25. indyjps

indyjps

I wouldn't buy it, but I'm glad to see it get preserved, and not turn into a stock resto, the car was modded from day 1, not some 70's experiment. After reading thru the hemmings article, the extended nose makes sense for the owner who was into boat racing and manufacturing boat equipment. Pretty sure the nose would become a giant sail on the track, whoever drag raced it must have gotten a surprise when that front end started floating on the big end.

26. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Not my cup of tea but History nun the less and hopefully somebody with deep pockets will buy it and preserve it.......

27. I dig 'Vette customs. Maybe more than stockers, because it shows that that once upon a time they were cars...not simply investment material.

I know nothing of it's history, but are the different gold colors (exterior, engine bay, & block) on purpose?

I think the driver's side suits my taste a little more, but expect this to bring a large stack of $$$

28. I can appreciate why someone would want it in "their collection".

29. I would definitley drive it.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A few interesting things from the article. Car was ordered without paint. No rust problem. :) Apparently sent to Barris immediately, the hood scoop is reminiscent of the '65 or '66 BBC hood, or both put together. Note the '63 hood grilles are moved up onto the scoop. Also the trim behind the side windows is different. And of course the removal of the split window, indicating it was probably at a time when the '64 window was available.