Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;so what are the plans for the 65 Comets and your other Galaxy now that you have your "NEW" 64 LW?!!!! ROY.

2. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, I am still moving forward on the SOHC Galaxie, and I have a date at the machine shop after the New Year, to drop the 289 off for the Red Cyclone. The white Cyclone, I am gathering parts for, but can't spend money I don't have. I do have a Shelby block, and Coon heads, crower crank and rods, and Godseys, Hilborn, in my shop, though. And Skeeter, my 218lb Mastiff gaurd dog, but he is very easily distracted, by a package of 99 cent Walmart Hot Dogs..... Damn dog!
    Eric

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;you really need to get the Cammer Galaxy done!!! I've had no luck finding any parts for your white 65 Comet,the Comets that are cheap enough to part out ALL have rusty parts that you need!!!!! ROY.

4. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, got a shot at a deck lid from a neighbor who is parting a Comet, and after that, I should be OK on hard parts, except big dollar race car stuff.
    Eric

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;two and four doors use the same deck lid,in case you didn't know!! Also the gutter around the trunk is the same!Get the quarters [cut them at the seams] if they are usable! I know a guy looking for a good,solid instrument bezel that can be replated if it has one!! ROY.

6. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, I will find out, and let you know. The Left 1/4 is what the car was purchased for.
    Eric

7. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Merry Christmas to all you comet junkies out there . Hope santa brings you what you want this year . I'm hoping for a 427 med riser w/webers stuffed in my stocking but santa might just keep it and put it in his sleigh and give the reindeer this xmas off :D . God bless and Happy Holidays
    Hamps

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

9. SOHC427

SOHC427

10. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks Myron nice looking Cyclone. If anyone has anymore questions after that video and undercarriage photos, he should delete them from bidding.....Al

11. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

The fine ebay rule. If 2 people want something, there is going to be a fight.... I like that car, but to rich for my blood.
    Eric

13. I'm watching this auction because it may give me an idea about the value of my 65 Caliente HT. Mine's a 289 2bbl auto with 54K miles. (off the road since 1972) but it needs a repaint and there is a small rip on the drivers seat back. It's the light green patterned cloth bench seat. I pulled the carpet because it got wet while hauling it out to Oregon.

Movin/on

14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

It's like Eric said…..How bad does someone want it!

And,consider production numbers for Cyclones,along with the cost to find missing parts if your going to restore one.Not much trim(if any) for 64/65's is being reproduced.This car is not perfect,but looks pretty well complete.
    Myron_

"1964 Cyclone 2 door hardtop coupe 7,454(produced) $2,655"

http://www.mercurystuff.com/#1964

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  15. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I'm looking for a 1965 comet, keep me in mind. Remember yours is not a cyclone. And its a year newer, when compairing. Pm me some pics and maybe we could work so.ething out.. John

16. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Also Merry Holidays to all.....

17. ec164

ec164
    from MI

The Auction is at $8500 now......interesting and lots of different bidders. When I purchased mine for couple hundred less, the man that had it online(2)sites for near 4 months said, "I was the first to actually show up too look", he was shocked on all the calls and no looks. I didnt mind, like Myron said, "it was complete and trim is hard to find", more so a Caliente.........Al

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

18. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

AFXDAVE, did the one 64 a/fx stroppe prepared comet survive and if so do you know where it is at .
    Hamps

19. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The 64 AFX Comet that Stroppe prepared was for Ronny Sox that was on first issue of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated, Nov 1964, Vol 1 No 1. "Cover Shot"

Comet Dragster VIN 4J23F501940
    Price per agreement date 11-29-63 $3000.00
    Less Cash upon Delivery to Buddy Martin $50.00
    Balance to be Paid on or before 11-30-64 $2950.00

This 64 AFX Comet was Differant then the DST AFX Comets. It had Fiberglass doors and Rear Deck Lid to lighten it up. It was also painted Red White and Blue before being sent to England along with a batch of Dragracing vechicles.
    I have been told the Comet is still around but I haven't seen it. Most likely it's been chopped up, Hell it's 50 years old this year.
    If anybody knows anything more please let us know!!
    That's the AFX Comet that got me into Comets. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

20. 65 comet

65 comet
    from ohio

Roy, question about the clutch fork. Are you running a big or small spline input on the transmission? if the big spline what fork did you use? thanks mike

21. ec164

ec164
    from MI

$13100 ending bid on the Ebay 64' Cyclone. I didn't think it would get out of the 10s.......Al

22. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Al,that car did well.I didn't think it would get that high.
    Regardless,the new owner has a pretty cool Comet!

Myron_

23. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dave, do have any pictures of this Comet?

24. ec164

ec164
    from MI

This I think was the first Comet Sox and Martin had......Al

Attached Files:

25. S&M only had one Comet, it was painted when they went to England. I have been told they "borrowed" another Comet to satisfy some match race dates while theirs was on it's way back from England but they didn't own it.

26. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Happy New Year 2014

Happy 50th Anniversary to the 20 + 1 1964 A/FX Comets. This is the year that 21 Lucky Drivers in the Country got to pick up their 427 HiRiser Powered 1964 Comet to Kick Butt and Make History. What an exciting time in History for Ford and Mercury. Both Companies all in to Battle on the Drag Strips accross the Country.

Happy Birthday A/FX Comets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Year Show off your A/FX Comets

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Happy New Year Comet Folks!

Attached Files:

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

Around 1969 I sold a 65 burgandy Comet 2 door 3 speed with a trashed 289 to a friend named Mike. This was in Nutley NJ.. He did a serious build on the engine with cross ram quads, different gears,4 speed and other drag racing stuff. He ran the car maybe once, then stored it in a garage....
    I wonder if this car was ever seen again ????

29. 65COMET

65COMET

65comet,Mike; I run a custom built clutch fork,the Jerico uses the BIG input shaft which uses the BIG throw out bearing.I had a friend take my stock fork and modify the "FORK" to fit the bigger bearing.I have heard of guys modifying a Mustang fork for the bigger throwout bearing,it has the proper length from the pivot to the bearing,but needs to be modified where the pushrod attaches. ROY.

30. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

We talking about Transmission imput shafts. The big ford imput is called a model A imput because it was used on a Model A Ford in 1928 and Pro Stock and big block Ford with High Perfornace has been using it. That is great and won't Brake but remember to use 31 spline on the output shaft. When using a small spline imput on Big and Small block High Performance engine, you will brake them when Dragracing. The small block is a problem with the big imput, the pilot bearing noise needs to be longer. The only thing good about the small imput for a short small block trans is its a Wide Ratio Transmission.
    Now going to a Jerico trans for small block, this is what you have them do is use a Chrysler Hemi imput with a Ford Small throw out bearing. And it works, also you can use the standard small block clutch release lever, not welding some up Mickey Mouse Set Up. Also the output shaft uses a 32 spline Chevy with 1350 series U-joint. I been thru them all. Braking Parts isn't Cheep!! ~~~AFX DAVE~~~