Register now to get rid of these ads!

New regulator not working properly. Can I fix it? What brand is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DetroitDetomaso, Dec 27, 2013.

1. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

New regulator not working properly. Can I fix it? What brand is it?

This regulator was installed before I bought my Merc. It works on and off. Can I fix it? If not does anyone know the brand? I would like to install a new one in the same holes.

Any help is appreciated. I've never messed with a regulator before.

Attached Files:

2. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Looks like a standard ford regulator- take to a decent parts house and they should be able to match it.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that it is on one of his Cadillacs rather than a Ford.

DD are the contact points in the regulator clean and free of burned (arced) spots?

Almost all of the old Motor manuals from the early 60's back had a section on adjusting those regulators and other generator regulators and This Delco pfd might give you some info.

http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/PDFs/1R-116.pdf

5. I didn't even get a year out of my voltage regulator in my 56 buick wagon and got it thru Nappa auto parts .Got one on e bay for $22. and have had no problems .Stuff happens. Bruce.

6. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

If a person is going to bother to repair a problematic late one, they would be better off repairing a vintage OEM or quality aftermarket one from 30 or 40 year ago on back to date of manufacture. The late ones are definitely not as repairable as the originals are.

7. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

Sorry I should have said it was on my Merc.

I've been though 3 regulators now and rebuilt the generator. I'm banging my head.

Attached Files:

8. Can you buy an electronic version of the "points" type regulator? you could install it in the old blue housing, and having no moving parts, would be less troublesome.

9. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

Maybe. That might be next.

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I remember having to polarize ......????

11. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

A friend of mine and good mechanic took the generator apart. Looks like something inside the 2 twice rebuilt generator is broke. I will update with photos when I get them.

12. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Just got the same one and its crap too. I had to dig an old one out and used it.

13. Not saying this is what's wrong with your car but this happened to me: I was 17 and drove a 56 olds. Regulator went bad and I replace it and polarized it..worked great for about a week...generator went bad. Replaced it and everything was fine...for about 2 weeks when the new regulator stopped working again. I couldn't figure it out and before it was over I'd gone through 4 new regulators and several generators. I grew to hate the car and after buying a super cherry 50 ford with no motor, I yanked the olds motor to put it in the ford car.
    That's when I found the reason for all my Olds electrical problems. The hot wire that fed my fuse panel went through the firewall and was supposed to be encased in a rubber grommet that was missing. The hot wire would occasionally contact the sharp edge of the firewall hole, grounding out momentarily, taking out my generator or/and regulator.
    The 245 HP olds worked grat in the little shubox but was hell on 3 speed trannys.