Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford 16 inch steel question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hot Rod Willys, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I have been having a hard time finding nice straight 16 inch old Ford steel wheels. I decided to buy a new set of Gennie Wheel Vintiques when they came in the were 10 lug hole rims. I cant have that as I wanted to run bare rims on my traditional rod. Does anybody make repop 16 x 4 to 6 inch wheels with the single Ford 5.5 pattern and look like originals? Wheel Kid, Coker or ? If you have a nice set of originals for sale let me know.

Crew Chief likes this.
  2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Check this thread and maybe PM the poster:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846157

This build has chrome ford Steelie repops he says are from Vintiques. They are 5 lug not 10 and are dead on for real Ford wheels. Maybe a different part number than yours. Here's a pic of them from the thread.

Attached Files:

3. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I would love to buy a set of new chrome wheels just like those. The rims I bought were cataloged as a single pattern but when they came in from Wheel Vintiques they were 10 hole rims. I called and they said they no longer were making single pattern wheels, at least in what I was after which was gennie early Ford steel wheels.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That is going to be a tough one, I have an original set that I will have wheelkid do the plating for me. He(wheelkid) can make about any wheel, even if you send some original centers.

5. VintageJosh

VintageJosh
    from Mass

Unfortunately I recently ordered a wheel from Wheel Vintiques as a Christmas present and was supposed to get the 14 series Gennie 14-685504 which was one of those traditional looking 5 lug repop Ford style wheels that look the balls on a hot rod or in my case my dad's F-1 pickup. Well, they apparently discontinued some of the 5X5-1/2 traditional Ford style reproductions and replaced with those crap 10 hole multi-fit units. I was bummed as I have bought them in the past and they really look good. I would encourage others to contact Wheel Vintiques to correct their lapse in judgment. Hopefully they are not doing that for all widths or I'll have to find some original Kelsey/Hayes that are not bent or beat to snot.

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/contacts

6. Can you not simply have original centers put into new hoops?

7. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Wheel Vintiques has always been about profit. Look into who ownes them. They are about profit, not service.

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I have three sets of originals on my three cars.
    Took me about ten years to find straight, true, and undamaged 4",4.5", and 5".
    I think I went through about 30 wheels first:eek:

A friend of mine bought some new re-pop wheels for his project and, at the glance I gave them, they looked real good.
    I'll go by his shop on Monday and have a closer look and find out where he got them.

9. VintageJosh

VintageJosh
    from Mass

It would be more helpful if you had anything constructive to say, otherwise stay silent please.

Regardless, you can't profit from something that you can't sell.

Thank you to those who had some form of suggestion. I have a bit of insight to working with some vendors- yes the bigger ones can be quick to say no, but remember there are people on the other line that work there. If you are a pushover you will get nowhere, if you are an ass to them you will likely get nowhere, but if you express real desire to achieving something, that person might actually be moved to help you, and make some calls on your behalf so something gets done, perhaps an exception is made. If numorous requests are made options may become available or production reinstated; but understandably at a higher cost if the item is to be viable. I brought it up in case anyone here cared enough to help maintain the line, but if you prefer to do nothing but bitch, well... Have a nice day and let the adults take care of this.

I'm more familiar with earlier Fords- Model T's to be exact, I worked an inventory position dealing with Model T parts vendors on a regular basis and knew who was who. Now entering unfamiliar territory I picked up a great 39 Ford a couple of years ago and learned through some very helpful tech here on the HAMB to make some awesome upgrades and repairs.

I was hoping this thread would lead to some good contacts, available services or manufacturers that can help us achieve the look we're going for, or even some great old school tricks that are lost to coming generations. I look forward to anything helpful or at least really f#@king cool! Thanks guys! :D

10. VintageJosh

VintageJosh
    from Mass

Thanks Nick,

Good question man, I have wondered that myself as I had a good center kicking around. But at the time I could still get the repops at an OK price, so I didn't pursue it. Temporary setback... I'm sure there will be some options that arise.

Cheers, Josh

http://rallyamerica.com/Original_Centered_Wheels.html

Thanks Crmnal,
    It took me a little to track down to where you were going with your reply

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  11. I just thought i'd throw it out there as over here apparently we aren't allowed to run a 4" wheel, 4.5" is the minimum. I have a pair of 4" and a pair of 4.5" (I believe the 4" are '40 only according to my research) and was considering putting them into new hoops, as one of the hoops on the 4" is a little crusty anyway.

Thought that might be an easy way to get original centers and a nice round, true hoop.

12. if you are finding plenty of 16 X 4's that are bent , why not check into having them straightened? i'm sure it could be done without giving someone too much profit

a friend of mine has a Bear wheel straightening machine , i've used it a few times. there is a donation can right along side , just put in a few bucks after using it.

13. millersgarage

millersgarage

I know Wheelsmith wheels are a dead on match to the old Ford center. I spoke with them about this same issue at the NSRA Nats North, and he showed me the centers on a 5x5.5 wheel pattern. The look good.

the 10 hole wheels are usually 5x4.5 and 5x4.75 dual pattern.

14. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I have original wheels 16x4,16x4.5, 16x6 for sale. All original Ford and Lincoln wheels. If you are a purist, they can be yours! Original wheels are still out there.
    PM me

15. Can you give a short clarification on that ? A restored FX, FJ, Beetle or even an Austin A40 would have 4" or less. Even an original Model A is less. Or is it a hotrod requirment ?

16. Its just another stupid ASRF rule unfortunately..

Although i've been told to just use em, throw some tires on and they probably won't even question it. If one of the wheels wasn't a bit pitted and shit on one edge i probably would of done just that.

We also are required to run a safety bead now that i think about it.. I believe a 4.5" wheel you can just have a bead of weld laid down on the edge of the rim to stop a tire coming off, but a 4" wheel is too narrow for that.

Fucks me how they check this shit if you already have tires all mounted.. I guess i'll find out soon enough.

17. VintageJosh

VintageJosh
    from Mass

Cool info above, thanks. I'll have to check out The Wheelsmith, and I thought I'd put it out there since others have already had related discussions in some older threads and I'm sure the regulars get tired of repeating themselves- it's nice that some are still willing to offer help when these subjects get brought up time and time again.

There is some great info on vendors, learning of other people's mistakes, traditional options- I've provided some links below that I hope will help those needing it:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742334&highlight=wheel+vintiques

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-795533.html

A side note: I didn't know about the Coker Group purchasing Wheel Vintiques a couple years back. I'm sure others didn't realize this either so that's why I thought I'd post a link to the article. Funny, I usually see Corky at shows now and again.

http://blogs.hotrod.com/coker-group-purchases-wheel-vintiques-15319.html#axzz2ost2SnDd

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The wheels I ordered from Wheel Vintiques were 5.5 pattern and were ten hole. They were listed as a single pattern 5.5 five hole wheels but came in as ten holes. I called and asked if they screwed up and they said that's the only way you can get them now. I sent them back!

19. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Has anybody had any luck with Wheelsmith?

20. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I called him late December and he was still waiting for new stamped centers that looked like the 40 ford wheel with the single bolt pattern.Told me it would be February 2014 before he would have the new wheels on the market.I found originals or I would have purchased from him.Was very helpful on the questions I had.

21. Dar73

Dar73

22. fortynut

fortynut

Is it traditional to use aftermarket wheels? Shouldn't this thread be somewhere else? Ford giveth and repop taketh away.

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud