Register now to get rid of these ads!

Epoxy Primers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Gotta throw this one out there. Has anyone used Eastwoods epoxy primers ? Are they good, bad , or otherwise . The price is a 3rd of what I can get around here . That said , you get what you pay for keeps coming to mind . Any thoughts ? :confused:

2. Hard to beat a PPG product called CRE it's in their light industrial line. It's a tintable direct to metal high build epoxy primer that you can SAND...yes you can sand it. It's killer for the money

3. jazz1

jazz1

I painted this cab a couple years ago with Eastwood epoxy. It seems to stand up, sprays nice.
    Quite a bit cheaper than Utech.
    [​IMG]

4. any more care to comment on this issue ?

5. I had that same question a few months back..eastwood or SPI epoxy...spi was more money but i ended up going with it after hearing nothing but good about it from everyone..i can say i really liked it..it sands nice too

6. x 2 on SPI
    Wouldn't use anything else

7. 51woodie

51woodie

x's 3 on SPI. And hey Barry actually answers the phone. Have not use Eastwood to compare in all fairness. The SPI is sensitive to cold temp's if that's an issue up your way.

8. robertsregal

robertsregal

I have always looked for a good jobber that sold good product and knew his product inside out. I was in the auto body trade for 25 + years and always liked the PPG line and Sikkens line also sprayed some Dupont. I put PPG on our Buick as much for the product and more for jobber knowledge and support this in my opinion priceless. We put a wash primer down first then epoxy primer- primer surfacer-sealer-color-clear. I highly recommend staying with one product line from start to finish. You may spend more on these products but when finished if the product was user friendly and you are happy with color- depth- shine that's worth the cost, or it looks OK hated working with not user friendly product. Good Luck!!

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Plenty of great advice on primers for anyone willing to listen and learn.

Thanks for posting. Jimbo

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What are your plans for it...will you paint it or simply run it in primer...???

loveoftiki is correct, CRE is a great primer...it's "industrial strength"...below is a pic of my bro's '54 Caddy, we sprayed it with CRE close to six years ago...and it still looks good. The flames are done in lacquer over the CRE...yes, it was tinted that color and a gallon only cost $45.00 back then (I'm sure it's gone up like everything else nowadays...!!!)

R-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  11. Terraizer

Terraizer

I have used the PPG CRE primer for years, it is good stuff and really reasonable $ wise, it is about $60-70 now for a gallon with hardner. Not the best sanding primer out there but not the worse either and its tintable.

12. (What are your plans for it...will you paint it or simply run it in primer)

Nope, full paint . That said the epoxy would hold up to the weather .

13. What is this CRE ? Is that the name or is it a acronym for something or other . PPG I understand , CRE I don't . Anybody explain please ?

14. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

i like spi.I love there epoxies.There black goes on glossy not flat and you can see any wave in the bodywork real easy, Plus when you sand it the shiny spots stay in the low areas.Im using it on my 56 vicky project.

15. indyjps

indyjps

I can appreciate the shiny aspect, the same can be achieved by tinting builds coats, either different colors or light to dark, you can see your highs and lows. I also want more info on the PPG CRE, this is what I found so far, looks compatible with Delfleet. Since my booth will be homemade, and I don't paint on a regular basis, I'm thinking single stage non metallic is where I'm headed to let me fix my screwups.
    http://www.ppg.com/en/newsroom/news/Pages/20120502A.aspx

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

What's your end game, you gonna shoot it in urethane? Why not a medium priced urethane primer? Unlike in the days gone by, today's epoxies don't contain heavy metals like " Yellow Death '' did.:( DP 90 had its' day in the sun, but that ship has sailed.

I'd throw in with the SPI, great tech support, with real world pricing.:)

17. My end game is likely 3 years away . I don't know if I should spend the bucks for epoxy or just go with DTM high build , lay it on and knock it down a few times . Guide coat and paint BC/CC . The bases here are akzo noble , lessonal . U tech . I never did ask if PPG was available special order ?? I am leaning on a gold / off white , crème roof ? I will likely change my mind a dozen times before then for sure !!

PS What does SPI stand for ?

18. horse

horse

CRE "corrosion resistant epoxy", is by far the best product for the money, it's like DP on steroids. I have been using it for over 10 years on everything bare metal. PPG recently changed the formula on this product from a 3:1 mix to a 2:1. It sprays and sands so much nicer than the old. Price wise It has gone up to about
    $125, but you do get more product. I personally would not use any paint products from Eastchang, you get what you pay for
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. lenmann

lenmann
    from NorCal

Southern Polyurethanes Inc

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Thanks for the info guys