Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Impala Garage find.....Kinda out of my element...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, May 14, 2011.

1. Hope the snow coming your way doesn't screw things up, good luck !

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have title in hand........drove out to his place a good hour from the location of the car......The origiinal fenders to the car were stored in a chicken type coupe......the original Sun tact was on a shelf in the coupe as well........He also gave me a factory aluminum 409 four barrel intake and a spare factory aluminum dual quad intake he had and two pair of 409 headers that were also in the shed like coupe on the farm he is at.......He also gave me the cars last registration for plates which was for 1967.....It is going to be a bunch of work to get the car out..........Littleman

3. wow....like happy new year....

4. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

5. hyperfe

hyperfe

Wicked good karma.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

oops......

way to take the high road Littleman

7. shoebox50

shoebox50

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Slowmotion post #179 said it all,I can't say it any better. The big toy box getting cramped ?:rolleyes: If there is going to be a vote taken, i vote to restore that gem

9. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Glad to see this pop back up to the top with a happy ending (or beginning). Congratulations!

10. jesse1980

jesse1980

11. YBNORML

YBNORML
    from canada

Awesome! Patience sometimes does pay off. Make sure you take a ton of pics when digging her out.

12. 1 vote here for chrome reverse wheels. Functional lakes pipes, too!

13. BSL409

BSL409

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Please do a video when you pick it up.

15. chopped

chopped

I was just thinking web cam set up in the shop.

16. Congratulations Littleman. That will make a very nice car.

17. That's not much of an obstacle, that tree, an hour tops with a cheap chainsaw would take care of it.

Too bad the market's gotten a little soft since you found it, but I'd still think that car would command a big premium, even if you just cleaned it, detailed it, and put it back together. And if you're getting it for you, then that stuff doesn't matter.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

The trees are not an issue for me.....but the owner removed all of the front suspension from the car back in 67-68......

19. Wow........just the right guy to get this car....a big congrats......often wondered if you followed up on the car. Maybe there can be another 409 reunion out at Thompson like a few years ago. A couple of us out here are finishing up our 409's and should be out this year. Here is a quick story to make you smile. I went to the local car wash yesterday to get the winter off my truck......it was a nice day and as I pulled in the wash there was a beautiful 62 Convertible in one of the bays ......white on red, black top, of course I had to talk to the owner ....his wife was driving so it was easy to approach him as he was directing her out of the bay . Ok,.. turns out his wife bought the car for him for a Christmas present :cool:........after talking he said he had a Biscayne and another Impala home along with some Hamb friendly rods. Great car guy . The car was at a local indoor show and they fell in love with it........wife made the deal without him knowing :) lucky guy..........hmmmmm.....my wife thinks my 62 SS 409 dual quad 4-speed is ugly:mad:. Again a big congrats on the car.

20. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Wow! I just read your posts littleman, skipped all the other stuff, but what a find!! This will be a great car when you get it together, really worth the work, and all those other bits as well, manifolds etc, I;m excited and i'll never see the car!!
    Subscribed.

21. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Good things happen to Good People, congrats!

22. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score Dave, Keep us updated with picture when it sees daylight for the 1st time in 50 years

Attached Files:

23. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Harbor Freight has some cheep casters with pneumatic tires which I use to move my parts car around. Nice score.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'd opt for a tow dolly if you can finagle it in there. What's your plan Dave? What ever the method, I can't wait to see some pics in the daylight.

25. Actually what might work best to get it out and on a trailer is to use a car tow dolly with a railroad tie or other cribbing on it, to keep the frame at about normal ride height on it.

Plus with the suspension off you could narrow up the dolly so it will fit on whatever you use to transport it, or you can load it rear first, block it up and take the dolly back off and then do what you need to tie the car down. Personally I think I'd spend the bucks for a rollback truck and winch it out nice and slow.

Those HF wood things aren't going to work unless you have a smooth surface to work with and just going over the tree stump alone will probably kill one.

I mean if it was a Biscayne 4-door with a 235 in it, then by all means cob up whatever is handy, but a car like this you don't want to make any shortcuts with.

26. http://www.uni-dolly.com/
    Probably take you an hour tops to make something like this to work in your situation and terrain. Plywood road to roll on.

Tractor supply trailer axle fastened to the front frame if you can steer it from the rear.

Old ford axle and spindles with some hubs and rollers would probably work too.

27. 327Eric

327Eric

you have to sort the parts out anyways, so if the front suspension is there, throw it together with 4x4's in place of the springs, don't worry about bolt grades, you just have to get her on the trailer and to your place. Be sure to compensate for the lack of bounce in the front suspension. I have pulled a few cars this way, well over a hundred mles, no problem.

28. http://www.uni-dolly.com/
    Probably take you an hour tops to make something like this to work in your situation and terrain. Plywood road to roll on.

Tractor supply trailer axle fastened to the front frame if you can steer it from the rear.

Old ford axle and spindles would probably work too.

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I started to clear out what I can move by hand.........very dirty messy garage, found dead animals ect......I brought home the original block that I.D. as a 1962 block........The crank is still in the box from when he had it polished ect. at Gellner's back then...looks like it can be saved......Took the aluminum duel quad intake and carbs, I have an extra duel quad factory intake as well...both have the same #'s and are for all 62-63 and 64 duel quad HP engines....I have two factory aluminum four barrels w/ matching #'s that came on 63-64 and 65 409's HP engines.

There are [6] 1962-63 HP heads # 3814690

There are [2] 1964-65 HP heads # 3852583

and [2] heads that look small and guessing they are 348

So far I found

[2] # 3814683 ex. manifolds correct for 1962

[1] # 3814682 ex. manifold correct for 1962

I can not believe the high horse power heads that came out of that one garage.......and thanks for some of the ideas to move the body...I did think of using the dropped axle I bent racing my Model A Truck and or a trailer axle.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also found an old set of new Venolia pistons.....I had already off loaded a pair of heads before this pic.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013