Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who makes the best car covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FONZI, Dec 26, 2013.

1. FONZI

FONZI

I need a car cover for my 51' chevy coupe. Anyone recommend a good manufacturer?

Thanks!

2. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know who else but I would be wary of StealthCover.

3. I have bought a few from California Car Cover in Chatsworth, all lasted well but you get what you pay for and depends on what it is to protect from. Rain or snow or just dust or sunlight, big differences in what is best. Wifey bought me a big box store cheapy and sun killed it in no time.

4. evintho

evintho

5. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Covercraft makes a quality product to fit a wide variety of vehicles and offer many different materials for various storage applications. Returned one to them which had suffered damage from a tornado. They repaired and returned it at no charge.

6. 327Eric

327Eric

None of mine have lasted for more than a year outdoors, regardless of brand .I have just started to buy the on the shelf O'reilly or autozone ones once a year, instead of the more costly ones

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

when I need a high quality car cover it is California Car Cover that gets my biz

8. bakersfield boy

bakersfield boy

bought an expensive water proof unit from Cal. Car covers 10 years ago.

excellent product, still using it and still water proof

9. x3

Pick the right material/weight for your application and never look back.

While in the Navy, I often had to store my '55 Chevy outside, in an oceanside environment. None better than California Car Cover.

10. 3340

California Car Cover Is For Sure Top Quality Have Used Them For Years, Also Have Used Beverly Hills Car Cover Co. But Don't Know If They Are Still In Business Any One Know?

11. I ask this question a couple of years ago and California car cover was the number 1 recommended manufacturer.

I had decided to order mine from CCC for our wagon,then I got a PM from a fellow hamber,I won't call him out,but he told me he worked for another manufacturer (Covercraft) and could save me 150 bucks on the same '52-54 Ford Ranch Wagon cover.

I ordered from his company and was and still am very disappointed with the cover,,the fit is horrible and looks like it is a universal station wagon cover for anything up to the late 50's.

Please don't try and cut corners,learn from my mistake.

California Car Cover is the best. HRP

12. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Do any of these covers actually protect a car that's left outside in the Winter?
    I need to move one car out for a couple of months. We get some snow, maybe 6" max.
    And rain, of course.
    Thanks
    Jim

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got an inexpensive car cover. It said in the instructions to not put it over a wet car. Not sure why, as even if the car is dry, the rain soaks through and it gets wet underneath anyway? LOL
    I leave one of my cars outside all summer, so it's easy to jump in and go. I'm going to invest in a better cover for summer next year!

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

***yes, they are called carports

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have to go with Cal Car Cover too. I have bought several from them for all my cars. Their customer service is top notch. Many fabrics to choose from depending on what you need. As far as outside in the winter, better call them and discuss.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If your looking to keep it dry, be aware that water proof is NOT the same as water resistant. I use a cheap one from O'Reilly auto parts, PLUS a mylar plastic sheet underneath. I roll them on and off as one. The car cover keeps dust and sunlight out. The plastic keeps the water out. Each setup lasts about 6 months.

One day, when I convince myself it's worth it, I'll get a California Car Cover.

17. rockfish

rockfish

I've had a Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories cover for my '33 Ford for about 30 years. Great investment. Like someone else mentioned, they may be out of business unfortunately. I just got real lucky and bought 2 fitted 63-67 corvette covers off Craigslist for $25.00 each made by California Car Covers. Guess I need to build a Vette gasser now so I have a use for the second cover:) They seem as high quality as the Beverly Hills cover. I think a quality fitted cover is a great investment for a car you plan on keeping. FYI, all of my cars get stored indoors so I can't comment on covers for outdoor use.

18. rockfish

rockfish

Up here the Mylar sheet traps in the moisture and leads to mildew and surface rust. I was always told that it's better to leave a car uncovered than to use plastic that doesn't breathe. We will sometimes roll out plastic on the concrete slab to keep moisture from coming up through the floor especially as it warms up in spring. Maybe it's a regional thing.

19. fsae0607

fsae0607

I have the CCC Stormweave for my 61 and I keep it outside. Works great and fits great!

Be sure to use the center cable and buy four clamps to secure the cover at each end to the bumpers. That helps prevent the wind from whipping it around.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. RARE57

RARE57

I've been a "CAL CAR COV" customer for years and I'm Very Happy with their product !! Great choices !:)

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Another vote for California Car Cover. I am not sure but I think they used to be Beverly Hills Motoring. The cable and clamps on the bumpers is great advice. The only objection I have is the wind allows the cover to scratch the paint over time.

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Fonz,

You talkin' 'bout throwin'a a cover over your kustom paint job??:eek::eek:

Over the last four decades, I've lost count of the totally fucked up paint jobs that were bagged up, and left to sit in the Kalifornika sun and rain, that I've had to reshoot! The heat, water & wind will be the kiss of death to your clear, flake, pearl, candy & base:( Even today's double throw down, gee-wizz urethanes don't look good after bein' cooked.:mad:

Rent a garage, or push momma's asian sedan out, and give that kustom '' pride of place ''

'' Hypocrisy is the vaseline of social intercourse ''

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It takes two things to make condensation. Heat and cool combined. What I noticed was, if I was going to cover my car, I waited till the evening when it cooled down outside and my car was cool. Even then, I'd sometimes get the condensation you're talking about. But it was only a couple times and during the summer. The condensation came from the hot car being covered and the cool air at night.

In the fall and winter, if I cover my car, it stays dry as a bone. That little bit of condensation wasn't enough to worry about and it was better than being uncovered.

I've read the California Covers "breathe". Ideally, that's what you want, but I'm not sold enough to drop $300 for that premium cover they offer. I'll have one some day, but it won't be soon.

24. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

I am looking for a cover that I can put on my freshly painted car in the garage so I can work next to it.
    I work out a oversized one car garage and need to protect the car while I am welding, paint and body, etc. in the garage next to it.
    Its winter here in CO and pushing the car out all day to sit in the snow doesn't seem like a good option.
    Any suggestions?

25. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I've never seen a car cover that had a fire rating tag sewn on it! Welding sparks may be a BIG issue if left to smolder for hours after a day's work:(

Years ago, a buddy of mine who did old Corvettes ,would build a cover from 2X2's & Masonite ( he didn't want anything touching his fresh lacquer paint jobs, as a cover would), when he delivered the job to the customer, he'd jus knock down the cover, until he needed another.

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

26. FONZI

FONZI

I am going to be temporarily keeping my car in one of those portable garage tent things with the cover on it. I am looking at a cover primarily for dust, not weather...

27. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Yeah, dust, some overspray and general garage air...

28. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I bought two California car covers that had to be custom made to fit my custom Airflow front half body and back half Chevy Fleetline.No other car like it.I gave them measurements and pictures of the body so they could fab one to fit. Not cheep but top quality,like said ,you get what you pay for.

29. Speed~On

Speed~On

I have a California Car Cover that was custom made for my car. I like it.

If you want the BEST, then buy a Beverly Hills car cover. They're awesome...but they're around $1,000.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014