Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Estate Sale Jackpot

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gearguy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. gearguy

gearguy

The upside to accompanying the better half to estate sales is the occasional guy stuff jackpot. Today's $4 box of magazines included:
    Mint condition 1955 Fawcett paperback "How to build Hot Rods"
    The transition from Sports Car Illustrated to Car & Driver Feb. 1961 to November 1962. Last one includes their first impressions of the new Corvette Stingray. June 1962 cover is Dan Gurney: Next American World Champion? plus feature on Mickey Thompson's new Indy cars
    Nov. 1952 [My birthday!] Auto Speed & Sport with road racing and Bonneville results; Also May, June, & Aug 1952
    Feb. 1952 Speed Age [test of new Dodge Hemi V-8]
    Sept 1952 Motor Trend

Hours of fun ahead for only $4. So far I'm interested in the lack of separation between various branches of the hobby. November 1952 Auto Speed and Sport includes road racing, AAA oval racing, Bonneville, model car building, How to Modify Your Crosley for Competition, tips on reading spark plugs, and plenty of speed equipment ads.

I'll post stuff that is suitable for this forum as I find it.

2. How about a photo of Mint condition 1955 Fawcett paperback "How to build Hot Rods" HRP

3. Nice score! Cheap entertainment is hard to come buy these days. Can't wait to see some pics.

4. gearguy

gearguy

As requested. Unfortunately the pristine cover popped off while scanning the table of contents. The book may never have been opened before.

Attached Files:

5. Zerk

Zerk

Hotdamn, nice catch!

SpeedAge was a great publication, I've got to think it was a wide-focus deal, "the world of automobiles and racing," before more specialized magazines took off.

6. gearguy

gearguy

If your better half likes estate sales [mine uses www.estatesales.com] check the listings for tools, auto books, car parts. I've found some amazing stuff in those garages and basements, especially on the last day when prices are often 50% off. That is why I have a gas welding set-up, laser guided drill press, and nice roll around tool cabinets. Missed out on a Greenlee pipe bender because I made a newbie mistake and was embarrassed to offer the $40 I had in my pocket. Next guy in line got it for $45. Now I make sure momma has plenty of cash in her purse.

7. Love the cover, HRP

[​IMG]

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Reminds me of all the motors I've changed with an old A frame and chain hoist. Those were the days. Usually in a dirt drive way though with cardboard creepers.

9. sobpunx

sobpunx

I have that book sitting right next to me right now

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. "Cardboard creepers" .... exactly!

11. charlieb66

charlieb66

Doubt the guys in the photo were actually fitting the motor into the car with white pants and matching club jackets.

12. kruzr

kruzr

looks like a little bit of Brylcreem too.

13. Bounder

Bounder

Hey "A little dab'll do Ya"

14. FASI

FASI

The big guy, if I remember correctly is Lou Baney. He likely is fitting the motor having built many. I bought this magazine when it was new on the news stand and still it have along with all its fellow books. It is even more enjoyable to read now and reflect on what a great period in hot rodding this time was.

15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Is that Bob from Bob's big boy?

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what a great score. I'll have to start going to estate sales

17. gearguy

gearguy

Occasionally HAMB posters lament the decline of personal ethics in modern society. Apparently it isn't a new phenomenon. See the attached letter to Speed Age February 1952 issue. Bob Estes was a pretty well known guy in the racing/hot rod world.

More scans to come

Attached Files:

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ralph Malph and a hefty Potsie?:)

19. I get it, half the country back then were scared shitless of the hooligan hotrodder and seriously thought they were all greasy ner'do wells. The guys in the cover shot were obviously "staged" in whites working on their car .

The commies were a major concern back then also!

20. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Because we all build cars in white pants :D:D:D

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I recognize that car, but can't quite put my finger on who's it was. My first thought was Eddy Dye's, but the nose is a bit tall...

22. gearguy

gearguy

Up until the late 1970s many race tracks required crew members to wear white trousers to enter the pit area. It was a safety and "professional appearance" issue. Possibly the intent was to tie into that racing image.

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

LOL! Boy did your comment bring back some memories!

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seem to recall some service station employees in white "coveralls".

25. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

I always work on my cars in white pants :D

26. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I knew a couple of race drivers that always wore white. They said it was for visibility when walking around the pits. Kind of like road crews wearing the neon yellow now.

27. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Easy to tell when ya lacerate yourself.

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i think i can hear the other end of the "pull chain" sliding over the cowl!