Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 Dodge - No Ignition Key

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Recks30, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Recks30

Recks30

I don't plan on keeping the drivetrain for my 1930 Dodge DD6 build, but I would like to get the motor running so it will be easier to sell when I'm ready to pull it out. I've been told it's been run within the last five years and after replacing plugs, oil, new battery cables, etc I'm all ready to fire it up. It has an electric starter motor and a hand crank. The one problem is that the ignition key is long gone. Any thoughts on how to bypass it or to get it in the "on" position? I've attached a couple pics of the ignition switch if anybody can give me some insight. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Obviously you're to young to have "hot wired" cars to take on joy rides when you were a teenage "hoodlum"...

3. Recks30

Recks30

Nope, never hot-wired a car, lol. I'm 32 and have never worked on a car of this vintage, it's funny how I find my newer cars easier.
    I thought I had it figured out when I hooked up the battery and my wife hit the starter, it cranked like a champ. Good oil pressure, fuel pump working, but no spark. I then realized that the ignition lock cylinder/switch and coil are one unit. So, without the key to the "on" position, I will never have spark.
    I was wondering why that switch looked so big...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. One of those three wires coming in to the coil should be hot at all times. A jumper from that wire to the positive side of the ignition coil should get you going.

5. Recks30

Recks30

Perfect! I will get the voltmeter out and try that. Thanks! I had to quit for the day though, too damn cold to stay out for too long with the garage door open...

6. Recks,

Congrats on the Dodge! If you aren't using your keycoil, the one on my '28 is totally shot, IF you're interested in parting with it :D?

7. noboD

noboD

The key can be found by the code on the side of the cylinder. the problem with these is the cylinder is potmetal. They swell up and seize internally.

8. Recks30

Recks30

Thanks! I will keep it until I sell the drivetrain but you will be the first one I contact when I'm able to part with it.

9. khead47

khead47

Or............temporarily wire in a known good coil and bypass the switch.

10. oldolds

oldolds

What he said!