Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Coupe decklid?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ty johnson, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

Does anyone have the opening measurements for a 29 coupe? My opening needs to be squared up a lil. It's out a bunch.

Thanks,
    Ty

2. classic gary

classic gary

i don't "have" them, but i can get 'em in the morning............

3. olskool34

olskool34

Coming up........

4. olskool34

olskool34

36 3/4 top opening, 35 5/8 bottom opening and a length (deck lid opening) of 31 inches. Taken off a un- restored car.

5. ty johnson

ty johnson

Okay, thanks. What'd ya do, run out to the shop, peel the cover back, measure, then back in the house and post. Dang your fast. LOL Thanks for the measurements. The power of the HAMB!

6. ty johnson

ty johnson

Ok, went out and measured mine. That's what i have, but if measure cross ways to X it out sorta speak, it's off. I'm 1/2" longer on one side. Gonna have to get out the porta power and push a lil here and there i think.

7. olskool34

olskool34

That's exactly what I did!

8. ty johnson

ty johnson

After several hours of beating, banging, pulling and pushing, i think i'm just going to make the skin fit the hole.

9. olskool34

olskool34

Congrats. Glad I could help.

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

If the diagonals measure a half inch different, the opening is half that dimension out of square. EG. if one diagonal is 41" and one is 41 1/2", the magic number is 41 1/4".I just had the same problem with a coupe, and pushed the rear quarters around a little, then added small pieces of curved to fit 1/8" flatstock with weld build-up to the opposite corners of the decklid to make the reveals more pleasing to the eye.It's a give and take thing, and I don't think these old buggys were square to begin with! Good luck. Mike

11. ty johnson

ty johnson

Oh i know this thing's not square. LOL I've been doing all the other stuff and saving it for last for now. Thanks for the input Mike.

Ty

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

In a situation like this, the first steps would be to find out where it is out of square. Using a tape measure, check the subframe for square. If this is square, then the place to check would be if the upper part of the trunk opening is square to the floor, via some cross measurements. Sometimes it doesn't take much movement to create opening problems.

13. ty johnson

ty johnson

I'm a bodyman/painter by trade. When i'm ready i'll get the port-a-power out and make it square.

14. d-rod!

d-rod!

I'm a 30 year bodyman , I have a 31 coupe , mine was also out of square so I made my lid fit the hole , pie cut the side that was out and cut till the gap was good , nobody will ever notice, good luck