Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 3W my way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Xman

Xman

Got the roof corners repaired and welded in as best as I could. Will be able to tweek them a little more now that they don't bounce all over the work bench as I beaton them. I needed to get the door tops in place in order to adjust the roof gaps. The metal in the roof was damaged and then hammered on so much that it has a lot of spring back. I just wish it would spring back into the original shape.
    The window opening is about 5". [​IMG]

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. This build just keeps getting better & better!
    l Love that chop! and all the louvers!

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I love the chop!!

It seems that '33-'34 like a heavy chop.

4. Im a sucker for big chops!

5. I've had a burning desire to someday swap out my 34 cab and bed for a 34 coupe… Chopped roof, full hood, commercial grill.
    Now that desire is even worse.

This thing looks good!

6. Xman

Xman

Progress is slow or maybe it just seems that way. I keep choppin but there ain't many chips flyin.
    Been working the door top and A pillar on the drivers side. Not looking forward to doing it again on the other side. At the same time I'm making small repairs to the roof above the door.
    I am very envious of the guys that have done this chop on a car with a decent body. When done this body will have very little of the original sheetmetal left on it. Just the doors,trunk lid, and the rear roof section. Every thing else has been replaced and I have work to do on the rear roof yet to come.

Attached Files:

509garyd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Xman.....you have amazing skills!! it's going to be a GREAT look'n chop!!!

8. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

I just picked up a 4 door top and cowl that's in good shape,come up to the shop and take a look there may be some good parts for your car ,it's for sale cheap
    Marshall

9. Xman

Xman

Marshall, thanks but I bought a 34 4D rear roof section a couple months ago, (off the HAMB parts). The rear window is almost exactly the same as the coupe and should give me just what I need.
    Took the body/frame off the frame rack and put the suspention back under it. Two reasons, first, makes it easier to work on the roof. No longer need the step stool. Second reason, I like to grab a Corona, sit back and stare at it.

Attached Files:

10. thequietwon

thequietwon

You should stare at it, it looks great. Don't get discouraged, car is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see updates...
    Sam

11. Looks great. Awesome chop.

12. AWSOME ROOF, really has THE LOOK!

13. 562roadster

562roadster

the chop is awesome! Great job

14. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

What a fantastic chop job!.....awesome build

Curt

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Told ya YOU COULD DO IT!

16. Xman

Xman

Work has been going slow. Lowering the roof only took one day. Then comes all the little nit-noid jobs.
    I reinstalled the structure under the forward roof that has the W/S hinges and wiper motor mounts. Got the W/S hinges in, the scissor in adjusted and working.
    Now have the roof area around the door tacked in. Made them from extra 35 sedan roof left-overs. Still need to make and tack in the jams pieces.
    I am using steel B pillars instead of the original wood and planned to support them with tabs off the roll bar. The B pillars support and hold lateral alignment the body. I intended to install a roll bar anyhow so now it will also provide additional support to the body. Saving the door work till last. I have a pair of Waldens Speed Shop inner door braces and I'm looking forward to installing them and the new skins.
    I set the hood and grill in place to get an idea what the profile will be and I like it!

Attached Files:

17. dubcee

dubcee

Looks WAY better than when you got that thing home! How do you decide witch one to drive when its done?

18. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Damn that is going to be a nice hot rod. I really like the louvers and the use of the'37 tube axle.

19. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Wow! Subscribed.

20. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Very nice work and great profile.

21. So, whats the height on the car now? Looks great.

22. couverkid

couverkid

23. Roadsir

Roadsir

Wow...great work. That has a great look.

24. That sucker looks great!

25. Xman

Xman

Great question- I had to run out to the shop and check. It's 52" at this point. Will drop more, of course, with the engine, trans and such installed. As you can expect this is a fun build and the fact that you guys like it, makes it even better. I apprerciate all the comments.

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I just read thru the whole thread. That's some outstanding work to transform that beat up old body into what you have.

The profile looks perfect, and it's good to know that the roadster quarters can be used with some work.

Thanks for posting the progress pics.

27. Xman

Xman

The roof around the opening was distorted and cut up. I removed the channel and dollied the remaining lip. The channel from a 34 4dr has the same profile as the 3W so I cut pieces from a 4dr roof I have and welded them in. The louvered roof insert was then welded in as well. Things are looking better, not good, but better. The area around the insert still needs more work.
    Decided to clean up the shop floor from all the grinding so I moved the car out on to the driveway and nosed the 5W up to it for fun. Big difference in build style.

Attached Files:

509garyd likes this.
  28. brady1929

brady1929

wow, i love both of them

29. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Wow! Very nice work! I'm now subscribed to this and your brothers Tudor build.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

That is way hammered, cool.

Ago