Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Model A Tudor, lots of fab from the ground up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smitty29, Feb 21, 2013.

1. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Thanks man!. cant wait to make it out to some events . yep that's the ol nova tucked back there haha

2. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Here are the revisions. Finally an image with description hahah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is welded around every edge 100%.

[​IMG]

Sanded and all ready for paint

3. 416Ford

416Ford

Looks great Smitty, sorry for the grief. Keep up the great work.

4. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Thank you! It is no trouble at all. It is good to know people are looking out for the wellbeing of others. That's hot rodding at its best.

5. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Amazing building excellan work as well

6. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Your suicide mount is a lot more, uh, "beefy" than mine... I guess that's the word I want. Mine is welded on the top and front, 1/4" plate on a 3/16 2x2 box crossmember. It's been on the road for what, 7 years now? Made several 100+ mph blasts at the track, hit Illinois potholes, now it's been in a ditch, etc etc... You'll be fine.

I'd like to put an A crossmember in mine, mount the radiator on top, and do a spring behind setup.. but I don't know if that will be any time in the next decade.

I've told you before, but the car is looking great... can't wait to see it together!

7. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

Nice work there fella! And even better is your decent replies to the question or doubts that people have raised,,, you are a gentleman, your kind of replies would go a long way on Australian rodder sites,, down here they pic you to pieces until you bite back and then ban you,, even if your over qualified to talk on the subject,,, well done and keep up the good work!!!!! Ill be watching this build with interest!!!!

8. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Kamp, you found me haha, Thanks man. Cant wait to get it out!

Thank you very much for the nice complement! I like to keep an open mind, Always listen to what people have to say and I hope to learn form them ! I like to help too. thanks

9. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Thank you !

10. charlesincharge09

charlesincharge09
    from Wisconsin

awesome trans tunnel, hugs around it so nice!

11. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Smitty,
    Love your work and the things you have done to your "C"dan, great fabrication.

Do one thing though, please turn the steering arms around and get the steering cross link behind the axle, where it belongs! Having it in front screws up the steering, looks wrong and on a car like your's, where you have done so many things that are nice, it looks like you are trying to take the easy way out. IMHO

Rex

12. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

13. looks great! I hate getting advise from folks but I noticed something the other day on my build I thought I would share with you. The diameter of my light bar is significantly larger than yours and I am now at the stage where I am tuning and buttoning mine up. I was tuning my carbs and happen to look down and see my headlights vibrating like a son of a b!!@!. My only advice would be to consider larger diameter rod for your lights, judging from what mine are doing... that said... GREAT work!

14. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Thank you, I was trying to save as much space inside as possible. Kind of tight in there

15. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Rex, Thank you. I have been trying to come up with a solution for the steering arms. I don't like them out there either. I was reading a hot rod mag and they did a "speed way T bucket build" they used the same front suspension as I did but have the tie rod behind. However, I looked up the drop steering arms that I think they used from speedway and they don't recommend them with the set up I have,(suicide mount, reverse eye spring, spring behind, split wish bones) clearance issues if I remember correctly. Do you guys have any tricks or secrets. This is my first build in this style. I would really like it to be behind, would clean it up a ton. Thanks again

Thank you !!

Thanks a ton, I defiantly plan on using bigger bar stock haha I noticed then shaking when I bumped the car, not going to fly like this haha

16. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Smitty,
    I made my own steering arms from some extra heavy wall 3/4 inch tubing and some 4130 sheet. I also made a dropped steering link which gets the link below my radiator and over the split bones. I have attached a couple of pics of the arms, I made one for the top set of bolts on the spindles and one for the bottom set of bolts on the spindles. I aligned the mounting holes to the angle of the spindle. This allowed me to set the height of the cross link to fit the car and also made for an extra strong and stiff steering setup. I also made them pretty short as it gave me extra clearance. This works well except when putting lots of steering into it then the angle of the steering arms increases the steering input load.

Rex

Attached Files:

17. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Rex, that set up is awesome. Very innovative! Thanks for the help and images. Im going to sketch up some stuff. Awesome fab work !

How much room do you have between the tie rod and the ground and the tie rod and the frame rails?

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Rex

Is the steering arm attached on the bottom somehow? flex?
    [​IMG]

I was thinking of making tie rod like this...with supports at the bends.
    How's the adjustment work out? (opposite threads, twist the tie rod)...
    With this setup the increment would be quarter turn, with regular tie rod ends it's half a turn...is that enough for the toe in adjustment?
    [​IMG]

It'll solve some of my problems.

Mahalo
    Tommy

19. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Had a little time finally to do some work and snap some shots. Got the floor all done and welded in and started working on a dash/instrument panel. the 2 inch punch and flare dies work great for the 2 1/16 gauges. the 3 inch was bit pricey and needed a solution fast so made up a hammer form out of 3/4" MDF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick shot of the back half

[​IMG]

20. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Did some wheeling for the roof panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

22. syracusegli

syracusegli
    from ny

awesome, nice work! I like the direction you are going. I want to work on mine!

23. Thank you for posting this picture. What a great way to keep your clecos organised and keep track, rather than just a box. Im going to be drilling holes for hours tomorrow.

Attached Files:

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice build.Beautiful work on the tranny tunnel.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Haha I cant take all the credit. My buddy showed me that. How many holes you drill haha?

Thanks guys!

26. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Nice! Want to sell one of them rolled roof panels?

27. Excellent fab work,it just keeps getting better. HRP

28. scjstang67

scjstang67

great build. you have any updates?

29. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

Thanks guys! I need to get a couple updates on here. Been doing some sanding and getting the body ready for paint. Nothing really fun haha. I had a set back and had to rebuild an engine in my Nova, then sold it and bought a Vicky. Been looking at that and getting ideas and drinking beer in between primer and blocking out the 29.

rawcjw19, wish I could help you out there, I would need 4 guys to help me roll that through the wheel. Did that with some buddies at a metal working show. Don't have many extra hands around here now.