Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need metal guys help please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave L, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a dash out of a 59 olds, was going to chop it up for a custom application, but once i got it out of the car, it seems to be cast. A magnet does not stick to it.

my question is 2 parts: Can i weld this to regular 16 ga sheetmetal?

and can i chop it and weld it together?

Thanks in advance,

Dave L

2. I think it's a dash from a White

3. If a magnet doesn't stick to it it isn't steel or cast iron and you aren't going to weld it to mild steel! There are other methods of attaching things, solder brazing etc,but the first and most important thing is to find out what it is made of. It is probably die cast which is a bitch to do much of anything with, but depending on the exact alloy alumalloy might work. I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions on this and the best way to proceed is to experiment with scrap pieces until you know what will work for your part and ability.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The whole dash is cast? Are you sure it's not just the chrome sections that are die cast? Got a pic of this thing?

5. You might be able to braze it if the parent metal doasnt melt first...

6. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

nope 59 olds

[​IMG]

looks like more wall art for the man cave, Thanks for all the info gang!

Dave L

7. Fenders

Fenders

Photos taken in a snowstorm....

8. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

Hey! If you are still tuned in then go to your local weld supply shop and pick up some of the lo temp multi material solder. Just tell them that you want to braze aluminum to copper.

9. or the world of cut/chop scuff and re assemble with epoxy, stiffeners and re enforcement as needed or epoxy to a new substraight

10. metalman

metalman

My 61 Olds dash was cast as well, surprised me when I went to detail it. All I could think of is they probably didn't give much when you hit them in the pre seat belt days! ouch
    I think I'd look for something else to cut up and piece together for your project.