Register now to get rid of these ads!

To chop or not to chop???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Br8kNek, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Chop It......

2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Nnnnnooooooooooooooo.leave it alone.give it a sober paint job and spend the money u saved on beer.

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As has been said, it's a big job. Damn near a commitment, but done right there's nothin sweeter. Easy to go too far as well. Otherwise:

[​IMG]

4. sololobo

sololobo

to chop or not ---- the task is so much bigger than most people think. It is so uber cool, but the issue is your decision. Very nice lookin Chevy bro! ~sololobo~

5. I think that body style is too boxy. I vote chop it, just not radically.

6. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Don't chop it! Not everthing needs chopped. It looks good the way it is.

7. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

chop,chop,chop

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

if you have the skill and motivation....go for it ...looks great the way it is too....flip a coin....lol

9. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

Chop, slant pillars, leave the black wheels, add chrome spider caps.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I had a sedan like your,s and didn't chop it, it takes a lot of skill/good eye to get the sedans to look great. A hardtop looks much better with a mild chop, and easier to do.

11. grease4life

grease4life

This is the advice you should follow. I feel that stock can be improved on but too much cut will not be any better. So I change my vote from "chop" to "small chop".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. bako48

bako48

the decision to chop isn't that hard. it's accepting the fact that mid way thru you get that "well im already here" feeling and it snow balls and you lose motivation or cut corners just to get it driving again and everything you shorted on will stare at you when you drive it. just study rikster first and get the type of chop you want first before you just start cutting.

13. When I chopped my 55 it was my only ride. I hated not having it ready for shows or cruise nights.

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

Why mess up a good thing. I wouldn't chop it.

15. adam401

adam401

A completed hard top that has operable windows and garnish moldings is much harder to complete than a post car . I've cut a shit ton of off topic and on topic cars. Getting the quarter windows to operate in an arc then seal against the weather to a window that had a modified chrome glass surround and no door top?

Don't listen to peoples guesses on the internet. Before this existed guys went out into the driveway and cut cars and for better or worse something happened. Never ever ask for advice on the internet because unfortunately you will get it. You don't need it. Nobody does

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  16. I'd say no chop. But if you end up chopping it keep the stock rear window.

17. banditomerc

banditomerc

chop it....first thing i did to my 1953 210 coupe:cool:

Attached Files:

18. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Chop it ! and i would get rid of the flames

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If you have to ask my question is this. Who are you doing it for and why. If your doing it to impress someone............have them pay for it and get it professionally done so it's right. If you doing it for yourself and your still asking I say don't do it until your grown up and make sure your mommy is on board with the decision.:eek:

Frank

20. Top looks too tall? Chop it then the body looks too fat, section it, looks better, can't get in and out of it. It's your car, but if you don't do it right, its ruined and you're miserable. Doing it right = skill, patience, and lots of time, if ya got do it.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't sugar coat it Frank, speak up...:cool:

22. Adam..That's profound,can I quote you? :D

That's what I love about Frank..he always offers a clear perspective! :) HRP

23. desotot

desotot

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    [​IMG]

24. desotot

desotot

25. desotot

desotot

26. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Back in the late '50's in the Portland, OR. area there was Bill Hoffman's very simple mild custom white '54 Bel Air 2dr. sedan sitting on the ground as your does.
    NO CHOP, what made it distinctive was removing the B' piller, making the car a long roof hardtop, the quarter windows slid in manually. Years later Russ Meeks did a similar, but mild chopped '54 post and as nice as Russ's work is, I would give the nod to Hoffman's '54 for a more pleasing top & body area ratio. I've been involved 3 roof clippings, '31 Ford phaeton, '38 Chevy 2dr. sedan and a '40 Ford DeLuxe coupe all mild cuts, and have been pleased with results. I think the temptation is, as long we're cutting, lets whack a lot of inches out, so people know we've chopped this car out and its the results of all our hard work. So now people walk by notice that the roof been radically cut, that now has become the car's singular outstanding feature.
    Its very possiable the lookers will miss your car's other mods, also the result of you hard work. You asked...hope this imput is of some help, DYNO DAVE

27. blastman

blastman
    from New Jersey

Ii would add only one comment ..... yup!

28. If you've never driven a chopped car, or taken a ride in one, do before you chop. I have trouble seeing out windows on chopped cars, and if you're gonna drive it, you should like driving it. Just a thought....lots of time and money in a chop. It would suck if you didn't love every bit it after it was done.