Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI 1939 COUPE DU JOUR - Runnin from Johnny Law!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Mark Fox

Mark Fox

57 Belair very cool. My first car was 1500 gt mk1 cortina.
    My daughter wants my mgb roadster. She will have to fight my 2 boys for it.

2. woodbox

woodbox

1388168908832.jpg Had my boy on the job yesterday, helping out with some jobs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Great shot and with the safety gear also ..cool !! JW

4. woodbox

woodbox

Always!

5. woodbox

woodbox

A bit of good progress today.
    Back when I built my 46 coupe in the 90's I replaced the diff head because I thought it was too noisy, turns out mounting the head solid onto the chassis is a really dumb idea, so I had a second diff with no head and the original head stored in separate parts of the shop.I dug it all out and found the box of bolts and springs that I put away safely two houses ago.
    While my son carried on stripping a few bits off the car I assembled a jag diff and found some wheels to bolt on.
    A few quick calculations and measurements showed that the whole carrier will fit between the rails and get it all about 200mm lower than it is now, with standard jag geometry.
    After we were happy with all that we decided that the front needed some attention. We lifted the front off the spring and then removed all but the main leaf on the spring. We dropped the chassis back down onto the main leaf and the cross member is now sitting on the axle! we are only interested in setting heights at the moment until we get our hands on a donor car for the front end and all the other bits we need.
    I will try to organize some set up tires for the rear on Monday, then we can whip out the old diff and sort some mounts for the IRS.

6. I sat the whole jag cage and irs diff unit
    straight in between the rails on the Lincoln.
    Your rails must be similar in width to mine.

7. woodbox

woodbox

What mounts did you use on the cage/chassis?

8. Best to try and set up the original rubber mounts and arms if you can.
    You'll need the mounting pods off the jag underbody to mount the arms to.

9. woodbox

woodbox

1388221338499.jpg 1388221367106.jpg Here it is. All ready to fit some set up tires and roll under the car.

10. woodbox

woodbox

First thing today I made up some set up braces to go in place of the coil overs, so the IRS will sit at ride height. After this I went into town and had some old tires fitted to the rims for the IRS. Now we can roll it all under the chassis after we pull out the other diff.

11. I see you have joined the Jaguar IFS / IRS swap group
    Plenty of good info there.
    4t6ford is a useful guy for a brain bleed as well.

12. Slake43

Slake43
    from Melton

Hey wood box , do you have required engineering inspections / reports for registration in NZ ?

13. woodbox

woodbox

14. woodbox

woodbox

Yes we do! Probably one of the most extensive certification schemes in the hot rodding world!
    http://www.lvvta.org.nz/ check this site out so you can understand the hoops we have to jump through. The great thing about this organisation is that it was designed by Hot rodders for Hot rodders. It is full of very sensible design criteria and saves a whole lot of rework and heartache when it comes time to make your car legal.
    The car I just finished earlier this month made it through with only minor incidental changes required, because I follow the book carefully.
    Here is the thread on that car build.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685236

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  15. Slake43

Slake43
    from Melton

Yes I see , I have also looked at your previous build thread. Your car is very very cool and your work skills fantastic , I am looking forward to following the coupe build !

16. woodbox

woodbox

Don't get your hopes too high on this build. I plan on this one being quick and nasty, to get it on the road soon.. ............but that's what I said about the last one!!!

17. This is the latest updated version.

[​IMG]

18. woodbox

woodbox

Front X member is out with a temp brace in its place. Front is sitting down where I want it to end up. Now all I need is a Jag IFS!:cool:

19. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

we have a sugar beet processing factory here. The have railcars full of molasses......look for something like that...

20. woodbox

woodbox

We have an animal feed processing factory just down the road. I will be talking to them next time we need some more bags of pellets and chow for our flock.

21. One extreme to the other.

From an 8 year build to an 8 day build.

Are you on holiday... lol

22. woodbox

woodbox

20 days off to look after the cook! She is doing well!

23. luke13

luke13

i built a scaffold in a vat at chealsea sugar refinery in the late 90s that was about ankle deep in molasses,there was proberbly a few tonnes in that.

24. luke13

luke13

wow that stuff real agressive! if i remeber right, i helped replace an aluminum reduction drive case on a convayer line that delt with white sugar and had been badly eaten away buy the sugar. anyone made hotrod flavoured rum yet?

25. woodbox

woodbox

I lifted the body off today and we got started on the IRS install. We removed the rear cross member after bracing. To get the cage higher into the chassis I trimmed the ends off the cage. We will fab some mounts. We cut some boxing plate for one side but ran short for the other. Will pick up some more tomorrow.

26. woodbox

woodbox

1388391757454.jpg 1388391787216.jpg 1388391814159.jpg This looks real low in the back, which is what I am after. The lower control arm is set at ride height, but even if the half shaft was to touch the chassis there will still be 4" of clearance under the chassis. I plan on having everything mounted above the bottom edge of the central rails. I am onto a complete IFS and the other bits I am after, just waiting for a phone call.
    My boy said to me today "We have done about 9 months work in 2 days!"

scott27 likes this.
  27. woodbox

woodbox

Picked up some more 3mm plate this morning and cut to fit. Now the boxing plates for either side of the rear of the chassis are tacked in ready for some more fitting of the diff cage.
    We measured the chassis before chopping out the cross member and after. It is all within 1mm on the diagonals, so I am pretty happy with that.

micamountain likes this.
  28. daddio211

daddio211

Lookin' good and hauling ass too! I love the fact that the car will be super low... just how I like 'em!

29. woodbox

woodbox

Cage trimmed for a little more clearance from the chassis, tube cross member and doubler plate tacked in. I don't want to go too much further on the IRS before I get my hands on the front end, so I can finalize heights and angles.
    My panel adviser called in this afternoon and checked out the body. He has given me some idea of a plan of attack for the major body issues that will need attention.

Happy New Year everyone! I will be having a few quiet ones tonight with the kids in front of the tv. Be safe and have fun!

30. woodbox

woodbox

Cheers mate! The big mistake I made on my 46 coupe was to expect it to settle once on the road. This time I am going as low as I can see how, with out bags. If I have to I can always raise it if it's too low!:eek: