Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm pickin' up what yer layin' down Bro!lol!

I'm the guy that has always run 2700lb small block cars against the local 3700lb big block cars....low weight is as good as more horsepower.....but combine em both,and its gooooooood times....! :D

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

That must have been a couple seconds with an extremely high pucker factor...!:)

Scott

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yep! Little bit of pucker, and some shorts changing!

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a new car,or a rental,or some damn soul-less lump of metal that the insurance company could replace in a couple of hours,but when it's something you've really poured your heart and soul into designing,fabricating,and building it for a couple of years,those moments can get a bit tense....Glad it didn't get away on you.:)

Scott

5. Cracking me up man !

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

To the Top!!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. street-strip gasser in this day and age, must be safe to drive, but can still be fairly period correct. You have to be on top of it, when you are driving on the roads and highways in a sea of Hondas eco shitboxes and SUVs. I know! I do it!!

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAY TOO MUCH BS about HAMB Correctness! It needs to be YOU Correct. Send "me" the photos instead. I would love to see it or just start an Album that people can look at if they want...I would love to see what you are building.

9. Thanks for your input however I believe the real life experience, perspective, and knowledge of many HAMBers to be valuable in the planning process. In the past I have shot first and aimed later with builds. I am attempting patience and planning on this one before the first cut or weld. I will in the end build what I want, but haven't completely determined what that is yet. Enjoying the inputs and banter.

10. Dirty Dave when you decide let us in on it.as far as i'm concerned it's not what you build it's how you do it. i love seeing other people's builds.

11. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

the more obnoxious the better ;)
    correct or not, Im running front brakes, disc at that . other than that it will be as proper as I can muster ,

12. You must be talking street freak then my man !

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Right.I agree Phil.
    Street Freaks are cool in their own right,but let's not muddy the waters here and dilute the thread.

We have numerous guys on here contributing details of their experience building,tuning,and racing gas class cars from the '60's.They have been very generous sharing their photos,recollections,and some really excellent stories!

HotRodDon and Don Nowell alone have given enough detailed info to write a detailed book on '60's gas class racing.

So if we need to start a separate thread for Street Freaks,go ahead,but please don't hijack this thread and drag it down that road.Thats all '70's stuff that would probably get shut down in a thread on its own anyway.....the HAMB is,after all,set at a 1965 cutoff for a reason,right...?:)

Scott

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ps: I'm not trying to bust any balls.Just helping the OP out to keep the thread on track,and prevent anybody from getting their hand slapped for posting non-HAMB friendly content....:)

Scott

15. There is (or was) a Street Freaks thread .........

16. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

nope not confusing the two

Attached Files:

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Wow,that must be a pretty early photo.Most I've seen had the rear fenders removed also.

Scott

18. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

that's not a gasser

19. powrshftr

powrshftr

Steve is right.....they actually ran Altered with the High and Mighty.

Scott

20. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

Yep, Altered class. Scott, the car ran in 59 without rear fenders and in that greenish primer. In 60 they added the fenders and painted it white.

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. I don't know who might have made their devices before then, but the mass marketed ones came out in about 1974 with Competition Engineering and SRD.

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Baron!
    You know that some of the Ramchargers are actually HAMBers right?

Merek Chertkow,who drove their Fueller is on here,not too sure if there are any others.

Scott

24. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

That car had to built as a JOKE

It is one of the Dumbest looking cars I have ever seen, no race car in my book

G Don

25. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I can see you not caring for the appearance of the Ramchargers first car, being an "engineered art and design" guy and all, but to call the car a joke and dismiss it as a legitimate race car, wow, ok then :eek:

26. That is funny stuff! Thanks for the morning laugh! :D HA You guys are killing me! ...dumbest looking! HA good stuff! Thanks again :)

27. D.N.D. - Read the thread Baron posted. The High and Mighty was a REAL trendsetter and we owe a lot to the efforts if the Ramchargers. The car wasn't about looks, and probably suprised a lot of racers.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

That car worked well,but there is no way that anybody can disagree with the fact that it was ugly.And not just ugly like your little brother,but obscenely,offensively,crudely,U.G.L.Y. Fucking UGLY!

I think Don's point on this issue,is that back in the day,NOBODY would be caught dead driving such a blatantly,intentionally shitty looking car.
    Even a race car.

It was a matter of pride to have your car built to the finest level you could afford,both for performance AND appearance.Look at SWC and Maz:The Swindler car occasionally had to leave the car show when its class got called!:)

With a budget like these guys must have had from Chrysler Corp,you would think they might have built stuff that didn't look it was built by a bunch of six year olds who just watched "Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang"!
    I know they were engineers and all,but holy shit!Take some pride in what you're doing beyond just the data;at least TRY to make the thing presentable.....Anybody who says that car did not look like a rolling abortion is a liar.

Ran great.Looked like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag.;)

Scott

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My understanding is the High and Mighty didn't have any factory Mopar support at first. It was just a bunch of guys from the engineering dept. who got together to build a race car. Later they got much support, but I think with the car already being complete and competitive, I think they spent their support and effort on going faster, not making it pretty.
    I do agree that from the time I was a young guy, I always thought it was the ugliest car I'd ever seen going down the drag strip! But they started with one of the homeliest body styles Chrysler made, and then made it even fuglier! ;)

30. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, it was an ugly car. But I think it was probably put together pretty cheaply with everything going toward performance and nothing toward looks. Maybe they should have had someone from the design department in the group. :D

Like someone said, never was built as a Gasser.

Probably one of the first cars to use factory "backdoor" developement work?

Attached Files: