Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A fenders... anyone ever made quick offs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chopo, Dec 24, 2013.

1. chopo

chopo

I was thinking about this. one week i like the look of A's with fenders and a month later not so much. has anyone ever trimmed back there front fender and running board flanges. made the running board brackets unbolt from the frame? I really dont want to unbolt and move body around to change the look of things, just a thought. any input?

Attached Files:

2. Bader 2

Bader 2

Why, don't like the graceful look of fenders?

Attached Files:

3. chopo

chopo

i like both looks. just thinking of a way to swap around quickly.

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

If you can think it, you can do it. Maybe a series of nuts flush welded to frame rails with a bracket system on fenders so you could bolt them on, or take them off and put the bolts back in the holes to cover them up???Good luck; post pics. Mike from Mass. :cool:

5. Could you slot the holes in the aprons so they slide out from under the body? Then just un-bolt everything else.....

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

Just find another coupe, paint both the same color, one with and one without fenders, don't tell anyone what you are doing, use the same tag and insurance for both and drive the cruise in guys crazy.

8. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

that's one way for sure

9. flthd31

flthd31

How about something like this? An in between look with bobbed fenders that can be easily removed?
    Your chop looks great. I think you would be less likely to want fenders if you lowered the suspension a few inches.

[​IMG]

10. orphan auto

orphan auto

maybe zeus fittings?

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Unbolting the aprons just for fun would be a pain, and probably why you see old pix of so many fender-less hot rods running aprons on the lakes. The fenders would be easy to screw back on before going home and you wouldn't have to loosen the body mounting bolts to get the aprons out (slotted holes in the aprons would be handy).

I've been considering Dzus fasteners for modified rear fenders (cycle style on the front?) on my A build for the same reason, but there would be no aprons to fool with. I was thinking that if I mounted the fasteners on the inside edge of the wheel well, I could not only use them to easily remount the fenders, but perhaps cover the wells with some sort of skirts to smooth them out, too, like skirts on a custom, when the fenders were off. So little time... Gary.

12. chopo

chopo

did it... slotted aprons... bolted on running board brackets. 13 bolts per side. comes off in one unit.

its been a year to date from start

Attached Files:

13. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Cool, How long does it take to get them off and on?

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I like that... The "QUICK-CHANGE COUPE"!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think the whole car needs to be lowered a little.

16. chopo

chopo

car will drop 3 more inches when funds are available. it takes 10 minutes per side to remove.

17. redzoro

redzoro
    from Elkton fl

post #9 has the headers I want to build for my sbc powered 31 coupe ... love em !!! I thought about doing full fenders and tucking those under body where aprons go , I think it'd be cool .

18. nooch

nooch

I thought about doing something like this too - the issue becomes what to do with the headlights, you'd need a different mounting system that you can switch to which probably eats into the swap time. Still pretty cool though, can you give more detail on how you did it? Any photos?

19. luke13

luke13

fab up some sexy little headlight stalks that mount to the inside of the chassis rails behind the grill.

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

love this car! and your only an hour north of me, somehow ive never seen it!