Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

Yeah, I think so, too. The picture I posted shows an old unpaimted guardrail and not the nice painted one in the picture Jimmy posted. Very similar, but I think you're right, the top pic is someone else on fire. The second pic is correct.

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I found this on the Chester Drag Strip thread a while back. Is this the Sherk sprinter from around 1950?

Attached Files:

3. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Merry Christmas everyone I pray God blesses each one of you and your families...
    PK

4. Dick L

Dick L

Same to you and yours.

5. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi: You may wrong about the tire width, here is a pic. from the spring of 1969 at the 1 1/2 mile track at Hanford ca. The rear tires on these cars are 12-13" wide. That is Jan Opperman in my 12x car. I hope every one has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Bill
    PS. If anyone has water pump for a McGurk-Cummins Tri-drive that they would like to sell please PM me. Thanks

Attached Files:

6. easter

easter

Merry Christmas everybody. My daughter is home from Mississippi State University and my son is due in from Denver any minute. Momma has glazed ham balls in the oven and I have a fridge full of Yuengling long necks in the garage. I'd like to be with all of you guys for one plate of chow and a couple beers - we wouldn't be able to finish our food for hours because of all the stories we'd tell. Well, Merry Christmas again. I hope your holidays will be as good as mine. Bob Easter Ocean Springs, MS

7. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

You might be right. The person who sent this to me is now deceased so I can't get answer. It was a few years ago I got it so maybe I'm wrong.

8. wvjimmie

wvjimmie

Merry Christmas Bob. Enjoy your time with family.

9. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Merry Christmas to all you folks.

I'm hoping Santa is driving my present this way tonight. But even if not, we're all still happy for all the good things we have. But I wouldn't mind the sprint car, Santa ;)

[​IMG]

10. easter

easter

Jimmie, you're never wrong. Maybe on occasion you're not quite 100% correct, but you're never wrong. Also, as an added bonus, my daughter from Mississippi State turns 18 tomorrow. Yep, an Easter born on Christmas! Gotta be a good sign.

11. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

It is hard to tell exactly how wide the tires are in either picture, but it is clear that in the color shot of the car fully involved in flames the cars have cages and in Easter's b/w pic of his Dad they don't, so it's gotta be a different year/incident.
    Merry Christmas to all and Happy Birthday to the Christmas Easter!

12. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  13. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS!! Thank you all so much for making this post an unbelievable wealth of information. It has far and away left me in the dust, and taken on a life of it's own. You guys do a phenomenal job with it.

Thank you!

I spent my Christmas in the shop working on a rear engine car..., but HAPPY!! :D

Joshua Shaw

Attached Files:

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

The Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational June 4-8, 2014

To: Historic Champ/Indycar Owners Dist List (all addresses hidden for security)
    Subj: SVRA sanctioned oval and roadcourse event at IMS June 4-8, 2014

The Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational
    http://www.svra.com/events/brickyard-vintage-racing-invitational/

SVRA wants to hear from Vintage Indycar Owners interested in participating in the oval portion of the SVRA Event June 4-8 at The Speedway.

Just received an email from Roger Linton - Competition/Technical Director of SVRA (SportsCar Vintage Racing Association)
    Tony Parella is the Owner/CEO of this organization and requests vintage indycar owners wanting more info/registration to contact him [email protected][/EMAIL"][email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
    Currently the plan is to run the roadcourse and the oval.
    See the two emails below for more general info.
    I'll post more info as it becomes available.
    "I enjoy these emails.....since my father was involved with a few Indy runs just after the war. I am a big fan of Indy History and I know far to much about the specific cars that ran.
    I would like to point out that we have negotiated for 2 half days of Oval time......at speed, but green flag in the straights and yellow in the corners (the best we could do as we are the first--and exclusive-- Vintage event at Indy).The SVRA has already signed up a great list of former Indy Car Owners/ Racers / Mechanics to attend and I think (for the first time ever) the true history of Indy will be on display / not as an after thought / but as the feature event.
    Of course we will run the gambit of SVRA sports Cars on the road course as well.
    Anyone who has attended an SVRA event this past year will know---- we will go out of our way to give the "circle track" cars as much track time and fun as we can and they will not be disappointed.
    Please pass it around....we would like all "circle track" cars interested to contact Tony or myself. I feel like these cars have not been given a fair chance at Indy in the past and the SVRA intends to fix that.
    Regards,
    Roger Linton"
    "Pam is already in the loop....but we would like to pull everything we can out of the woodwork, The Speedway is 100% behind us and we have all the garages plus infield camping.
    I can't tell you how excited we are.....today I got an email asking if we would let Buddy Lazier drive a vintage Indy car without a vintage license (of course we are happy to have him).....
    Send the requests to [email protected][/EMAIL"][email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL] is a true Indy enthusiast.
    We hope to take cars downtown as well......the SVRA will make Indy "vintage" proud!
    Regards,
    Roger Linton"

15. 4everblue

4everblue

Loved looking at the points list. I've seen many of those drivers run as well as their sons and grandsons! I wonder if the man with the last name English is connected to the racing English family from Kentucky.

Hooker was, and still is a legend, truly one of a kind!!!!

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I believe they were "super mods" then .......

17. As the year draws to a conclusion I just want to thank all of you for allowing me to eavesdrop and learn more about the history of our sport than I ever thought possible. Thanks again to all of you and you make an old man smile in remembering another time.

18. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Merry Christmas everyone!

Can anyone help me identify one of the people standing behind the 1952 Keck car? I have Jim and Dan Nairn (#1 and #6 from left), Herb Porter(?) (#2 from left), Frank Coons and Jim Travers (#3 and #4 from left), and Stuart Hilborn (#7 from left). Number 5 is the key to the puzzle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  19. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

You're a valued part of this whole thing!

20. deucemac

deucemac

I don't want to hijack this thread but need some sound advice. I have a pair of Halibrand Lobster calipers that need sleeves. I wish to sell them and do not know what they are worth currently. They have been ground for wheel clearance some time in their life and were last run on an old Champ car. Please do not answer me here but send a PM as as not to clog up the thread. I am sure that someone her of all places will have the knowledge I need Thanks

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

23. easter

easter

When I go back and look at some of my first posts, the pictures don't show up. Does anyone know why? There were several on page 674.

24. fl 68

fl 68

Mr Shaw,
    Is that rear engine car a Ralt? If it is I have a 84 RT4.
    Ed

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not sure how you keep your pics, but if you post from photobucket or a site like that, and then move or delete them they will disappear on this site. If you post them from your hard drive (photo albums) they remain even if you delete them from your computer.

26. easter

easter

Thanks buddy.

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm not 100% on this car yet.. Just got it in. I know it's a Flat Bottom design by Roman Slobodyskij/Tub built by Don Edmund. (Has an Edmunds tag on it) and it's a DOHC V-8 Drake built by Jim Ward. Weisman Transmission.

Original owner was Lindsay Hopkins.. Then owned by Duke Nalon, then Ross Fischer.. Now my customer.

Driven by Johnny Parsons. Jr.

My job is to pull the engine, ship it to Walt Goodwin in Indy to have gone through and looked at.. and fired. (Also would like to have the front Timing belt set-up converted to Gear Drive if possible).. Then, re-chrome and touch up the entire car. Replace and make all the missing components and linkage, and get it fired and in running condition.

J Shaw

28. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Josh, based on your info I would say you have a Lindsey Hopkins Lightning Indy Car. You friends the Hoffmans ran a Lightning at Indy in the 80's. Edmunds can probably give the history.

Blacki-Suede

29. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Just heard, Andy Granatelli Passed Away. RIP, Denny Z.

30. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Happy New Year everybody... Josh thanks for starting it all and to everyone who contributes thanks for keeping the golden age of sprint cars and sprint car racing alive; you're the best!!
    Be blessed,
    PK