Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Oregon; 1961 Chevy Fleetside

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by jon521, Nov 1, 2013.

1. jon521

jon521
    from Oregon

Hey there, my name is Jon. I'm new here and have read through the "read this first" thread and kind of have an idea of whats going on here. This isn't my first forum but I understand each is different and will gladly abide by whatever rules there are. I'm here to learn, not bs around. I'm 20 years old and am well aware that I don't know everything and am very willing to learn what I can! I originally came to this forum because of my 1961 Chevy Fleetside project, but I also have a 1971 Datsun 521 (I am aware this isn't the place to talk about Datsuns!) and a 1965 International 100 stepside pickup. My Datsun was my first vehicle and love it very much, but I realized I needed something older, American, and something with a v8. I am deeply in love with traditional hot rod styles etc, which is hard to find up here in the NW sometimes. My brother tells me stories of the original Billetproof and what it really used to be about before it turned into what it is today.

So within the passed few months I picked up my '61 Chevy. It had a 350/th400 in it, but with homemade crossmembers holding them in, which were welded in. So currently I am in the process of putting a mid-70s front crossmember in and making a bolt in trans. crossmember. Where I am at with it, I have the motor and trans out (which I am resealing and painting). While I was taking out the trans., I found that it is a fixed yoke, and that the genius who put this truck together put it together with no slip ANYWHERE in the drivetrain, so I will be getting a driveline made with a slipyoke in it once everything is back it. I currently in the process of putting the 70s front crossmember on. I was told that not all the holes will line up etc, minor fabrication needed. BUT I am curious to what is supposed to line up before I start drilling holes. At the moment have 6 out of the 14 holes lined up, 3 on the drivers side and 3 on the passenger side. the truck is sitting with its full weight (without motor/trans) on the crossmember so I am under the impression that those are the only holes that are supposed to line up? I'm aware that this may not be the place to ask this question and I am sure this swap has been gone over many times and I am still trying to search through the threads but Im having some what of hard time finding it. Also I am not sure what the front crossmember was that I took off the truck. It was torsion bar, 5 lug, disc brakes, and no v8 motor mounts. I was told that it might be a Valary front crossmember? Doesn't matter, I have taken it out already.

Anyways, if you have read this far, thank you for reading! Its good to be here!

Jon
    ps I will get some pictures up soon!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. xwing01

xwing01

Can't answer your questions, but welcome from IN.

3. 50 Fastback

50 Fastback

Welcome from the Windy City!

4. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Off and running. Look forward to your pix. U might Document in a thread your cross memnber change for the next guy and ull be the old pro given tips

5. Nezzy51

Nezzy51

Welcome from Minnesota.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome from Wi. Great to see young people come aboard. I'm sure that someone here can help you with your project, theres a lot of expierence on this forum, everybody starts somewhere and good luck with your truck. John

7. xitemntracing

xitemntracing

did you ever get your front end done? I am doing the same now...same questions

8. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Welcome to the Hamb

9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

WELCOME FROM WI--------Gary

10. welcome to the site ......