Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's a good four inch dropped axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbierfarms, Dec 24, 2013.

1. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Been looking around at front dropped and drilled i beam front axles. what are some good quality ones out there ?I love super bell but man they be high dollar and totaly worth it I'm sure. Can you still get one dropped cause I've got a great deuce front axle just hanging around too.

2. I'd have a Henry ford axle dropped unless you need it narrower, then you'll need an after market one at 46" or 47" @ king pins unless you want to narrow the Henry axle too.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Hamber 296 V8 can drop them. I bought a so-cal speed one and like it.

4. xix32

xix32

If you are thinking about using a cast axle, take a look at the photo on page 70 of the January 2014 Street Rodder magazine.

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I prefer Forged steel.

Ago

6. adam401

adam401

That deuce front axle you have is a very good candidate to have dropped if it's in good condition.

7. SUPER BELL I love mine.

8. wizzard23

wizzard23

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The guy got his frontend slammed into and it snapped. I guess if it would have been a forged axle, it would have bent. Still need a new axle. Now, if one breaks hitting a bump, that would be cause for alarm.

True, there supposedly was a bad batch of axles going around, so... watch out at the swap meets. I swerved and hit a curb pretty hard with mine and it did bend, but it didn't break.

The good news is, a forged one is about the same as a cast one, so take your pick. And now, I'll wait for the FORGED ONLY crowd to chime in. Your choice.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Broken leg, look for a splint. Broken axle, it'll be cast.

11. Bader 2

Bader 2

Put a SoCal in my coupe,at250$ you can't really go wrong!

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'd only use a real Ford or Chassis Engineering (forged). My $.02

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I really like "Lucky7's" axle...

15. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I used a Super bell on my 36 ford truck in the late 80s and it broke in the center. They replaced it and I sold it and got a Mor-Drop. I have only used forged axles since then.

16. I'm sold on Forged axles,,if they were good enough for Henry they are good enough for me. :D HRP

17. saucerhead

saucerhead

I vote for a Lucky 7. They are a true forged steel axle, and at a good price.

18. adam401

adam401

I really don't care what you do but if Henry Ford, one of the most important men in America, a driving force of the industrial revolution who had influence and partial control of the flow of all raw material processed in this country decided drop forged axles were best, it deserves some serious consideration. If it's not early Ford then it's just repro. If we are being truthful though I like when people use the junk aftermarket stuff and leave the real early stuff for ballers like me. Ha ha ha, seriously though drop your orig. axle, it'll be cool

19. captmullette

captmullette

20. Fenders

Fenders

So-Cal and the new Speedway axles are forged also....

You guys with the So-Cal, they claim 30% better steering radius with stock 37 - 48 (non-dropped steering arms) spindles..... have you noticed any improvement over others' dropped axles?

21. So lets say you are moving at 60 mph and swerve and sideswipe something like a concrete barrier in your open wheel hot rod.

Would you.....

A) like to have a forged axle that bends, but keeps the wheel on.

Or

B) would you like a cast axle that breaks? Thus losing a wheel.

You need a new axle either way, right?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013