Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat-N-Low's '64 C-10 thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat-N-Low, Jul 3, 2013.

1. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I love the stance and long bed. Side profile is great. Best of luck on the rest of the build.

2. endlessearth

endlessearth

Looks amazing man! I can't wait to have mine stanced like that.

3. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Question for u flat n low, my curiousity has me asking about u changing the front suspension, how is track width comparison , and is reason for changing eg -disk brakes , better geometry or just your own reasons , thanks for for sharing your ideas by the way great truck !

4. Thanks, Andy!

I can't wait to see your truck on the road. It's going to be awesome. Just call me or PM me if you need any details on the suspension stuff.

Thank You for the nice compliment!
    The main reasons why I changed it over was to modernize the front suspension by adding disc brakes, power steering, better a-arm bushings, and the capability of running a larger front sway bar. My truck was originally a C-20, and it had 8-lugs, manual steering, and drum brakes. I wanted a 5-lug bolt pattern for more wheel choices because I was always planning to run a vintage mag wheel, and all of the cool styles were 5-lug. As far as track width, I didn't measure the original track width, but I'm pretty certain that the 1979 half-ton stuff I used is really close to the original dimension.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

It looks alot more like a 66 and not a 64 I used to have a 66 the doors were more slanted on the 64 and 65. Nice truck though might want to check and see if they goofed you on the title info though.

6. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

They could have put a 64 dash in it and that is what it looks like to me but I could be wrong.

7. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I take that back I was thinking of the 63 my bad man it is correct wish I still had mine.

8. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I still have the spare grill for the front if your interested nice chrome just let me know if you need an extra it is in AZ though I can have my grandpa send it though. 60$

9. Yep, you are right about the '63. That was the last year for the wraparound windshield. The "slant cabs" started in '64.

Is your grille chrome or aluminum? Was it off of your '63?

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

The to-do list keeps getting shorter. I'm impressed that you wet down the driveway for the photo !! You must be getting ready for all the magazine shots . Good see'in you at Ron's.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was giggling to myself about the exact same thing Philly:D! Sure makes everything look good with all the reflections though.

12. Yeah, the to-do list is getting shorter, but I'm still getting more things added to it everyday. That's typical whenever you're building something, though. You get to a certain point, and you tell yourself, "while I'm here and I've got it apart, I might as well do _________ ". I only like to build things once, so I automatically get on that stuff as soon as possible.

It was good seeing you at Ron's as well. Hope to see you at the GNRS next month.

......about the water. A wet surface always looks nicer, but the dogs kept tracking dirt all over the patio, and I kept spraying it down and chasing them off. Plus, when I'm getting the suspension stance dialed in, I will check the "look" from every angle, vantage point, and distance, and I think I was tracking as much dirt as the 'pups. One of my favorite points of any build is when you drop the jack and immediately walk 100 paces away and turn around and see if you got it nailed.

13. crob1

crob1
    from Colorado

No problem. I'd love to be in your shoes when someone is casually checking it out, and looks under the hood or underneath, and freaks out when they realize what they're looking at.

14. willymakeit

willymakeit

Subscribed . Always like these trucks

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've always referred to that as the "spin and grin"... Oh, and Grant made me laugh the other day when he said "Between Alex and Bodi, and working on my truck you'll be an expert on these things soon..." Ya, the only expert here is you and Bodi on speed dial and text!

16. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

about that 100 pace walk and turn around ,, sometimes it doesn't work out . Sometime I'll tell you a sad story about that . Good luck with your project .

17. endlessearth

endlessearth

Don't forget that I mentioned Dino as well. Alex, Bodi and Dino are the Holy Trinity of C10s. However, once you get that 355/TK0500 combo shoehorned into mine you will be granted sainthood for saving me from the purgatory of having to face my wife who is wondering why we bought a truck with which we planned to haul hay and grain to the barn and yet is still having to use her BMW X5. That hay dust goes everywhere.

18. Man, I know how you feel, Grant. My wife's SUV and my commuter Civic have been relegated to parts chaser status until I get my truck done. I have about 10 blankets that I use to wrap everything so I won't make a mess because I'm sort of a neat freak. It sucks, but I can't imagine how much of a mess that hay will make inside of the wife's X5. Hay dust and alfalfa "crumbs" would be a nightmare to clean out of all the cracks and crevices. .

19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

endlessearth-
    Hay dust is a small price for your wife to pay. It could be grease stains and ripped leather!:D

Alex-
    Are you coming down for the HME? Also, when you come down for lunch are you going to go Jake on me??? hahaha

20. What a great build! Wheels, stance....looks perfect.

21. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

it is aluminum and chrome off a 66 it will fit your truck for sure

22. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

it was always good to have one didnt matter where i parked that thing someone always ran into me i had to do the body work 3 times on that truck

23. HME? I'm drawing a blank, Rick. I know that acronym, but from where?

That's funny about Jake. Nicest guy in the world, but I think he still has the first penny he ever made. That man can pinch a penny with the best of 'em! That frugal mindest has served him well throughout the years, though. It still blows me away that he doesn't have a cel phone, still hand writes letters, and listens to vinyl records. Pretty damn cool.

24. Thank You, sir!

Hmmm......you're saying that it's at a relative's house in Arizona? I might be very interested in that grille.

25. Not too much to show, but the last few days were spent removing the original bed wood. That was a real treat. :( I am trying to save every bit of the original wood, so it was done very carefully. Lots of the fasteners just spun in their holes so they had to be drilled out. After the wood was removed, the torch got fired up and the rivets common to the area where the c-notch is going got hot-wrenched and then driven out with an air chisel. I have to say that GM did an AWESOME job installing those rivets 50 years ago because every one of them was a bitch to get out!

I cut the frame on the passenger side for the notch, and it's about 80% there. Still a little more grinding to do to get it to fit nice and tight. Anybody who has ever done this job knows that the frame is double-walled in the area of the notch. It takes a while to make all the cuts. I'll move over to the driver's side tomorrow.

Here's a shot of the nasty looking frame. I'll do all of the fab work first, then blow it all apart for paint when it's done. The bed crossmembers are going to the blaster, the bed wood will get semi-restored, and the inside of the bed will get CLR'd, lightly scuffed and then shot in a satin clear.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If this comes to pass, I'd be happy to shag it for ya and store it until you get over... Besides, I found out it takes very little nudging to get Bodi to go look at C10 stuff...

27. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

You reusing the bed wood?

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Alex-
    HME is for Holiday Motor Excursion. It starts at Irwindale Raceway at 7 A.M. and around 10 we tour the area in our vintage autos. The oldest is an 1899 International Harvester and the newest is 1932. Nothing newer! We draw about 250 to 300 cars. From $5,000 to around a Million and everything in between. One of our stops this year is the Justice Brother's Museum and lunch will be at the boat. Cost of the event is $5.00 and everyone takes care of their own lunch. Jake is bringing the model T his father bought in 1950 and I'll be driving my all original 1913 T.
    Rick

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn I wish I could do that run with your guys some day!

30. I may take you up on that offer, I'm not sure just where in Arizona the grille is. Once we know, PM me or call me.

Yeah Eric, I'm going to try to save what I've got because the truck is going to maintain it's exterior patina. The wood is really old and dry, with cracks running parallel to the grain, but they're complete. My plan is to do a good scrub on them with a deck detergent, and then inject the cracks with Liquid Nails. Once I get the cracks filled to the surface, I'll do a wet wipe to clean the excess and let them dry. After that, I'll do a light scuff and probably go with a thinned-out black solid color stain. The strips will get blasted and painted black as well. I'm not sure if this experiment will work, but if it doesn't, then I'll be buying new wood. I'd rather not do that just yet if I don't have to.

OK......That's where I've heard of HME. That looks like a blast. Do the local cops work the traffic for you guys, or do you have to fend for yourselves? L.A. traffic could be a little unnerving in a stock vintage car, especially with the scatter brained drivers we have out here.

I'm guessing that Jake is bringing the black Model T Touring car that he showed us in the back garage?