Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Panting the inside of engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by royboy111, Dec 24, 2013.

1. royboy111

royboy111

I am sure it is on here somewhere but I can't find it.
    What do you use to paint the inside of a engine block for better oil flow?

2. I don't use any, because I think it is snake oil! Those that swear by it often use Glyptol, which is an electric motor varnish.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Unless you have a high volume pump, and worry about cavitation, I wouldnt worry about it. IF anything it might keep your oil a bit cleaner, until the paint starts to come off.

4. I wouldn't paint the inside of a engine,the possible problems would cause a lot of damage if it lifted and got in the oil pump.. HRP

5. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Maybe beneficial in a race motor that gets torn down all the time, but I wouldn't do it for my daily driver.

6. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I've used Glyptol in the valley of the block and topside of heads to provide a smooth surface for oil return. Just make sure areas to be painted are cleaned well. Glyptol will NOT peel off if applied properly.

7. PushnFords

PushnFords

Shop I worked at painted the insides of every block & head with Glyptol and never had a problem with it. Seals porosity in the castings, helps oil flow, etc.

8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

If not prepared properly chrome will come off. As a 50 yr eng builder, I have use it since i learned about it 30 yrs ago. It was originally designed to heep the windings in electric motors together. It promotes oil drain back. What good it would do in a low performance eng is doubtful, but I will be doing it .Just my 2 cents.

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I grind all the flash and sand out of the inside of the block. For a street motor I worry someday if I paint it could come loose and lodge in an oil passage cause oiling problems.

Ago

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This man is talking sense !!! If cleaned properly I've never seen Glyptal peel in 40 years, all my engines are done with it.

11. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Also use Glyptol and it's clones on performance engines. Been building since 1967. Never had a problem.. Most of the HD diesel engine builders also seal the insides if their blocks with similar coatings. If it didn't work, you can be sure they wouldn't use it..

12. tig master

tig master
    from up north

Many diesel engines are done @ the oem level.

T

13. That's a big one right there !
    It should be SOP like washing your greasy hands before you pee.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not even sure what panting is when talking engines. :D

15. royboy111

royboy111

:rolleyes: Thanks for all your input. Seems to be opinions for both ways. I have never painted the inside of a engine. Was just wondering if there was any advantage other than oil flow. I am building a ford flat heat for street use, so I think I will not paint. Thanks again.

16. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

IMHO just a total waste of time, money and ? Do I or anyone else need to say anymore ?

17. Po-tay-toe...Po-tot-oh...

18. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Painting the inside of the block does more than just provide a smooth surface for oil return. Unless you have a billet block, your block was cast in sand. Through its entire life there will be small particles of sand coming loose and getting into your oil. Painting the inside of the block seals the pores in the block and prevents much of this, and yes it will allow the oil to get down into the pan quicker. Do you need to do it to a street engine? Of course not. Does it hurt? If its done properly no. I use Red Rustoleum and have never had it flake off. The key is block prep, make sure its clean before you paint. Some people will say painting the inside of the block is bullshit. Some pretty well respected engine builders say otherwise. Dan Divorak comes to mind. I will believe them.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Your right about people saying bullshit about painting the inside of the block, all I will say is I worked at JW Automotive who ran the GT40's that crossed the line 3 abreast at LeMan then went on with the Gulf Mirages and Porsche 917's and all the engines there were painted inside, if it was good enough for them it's good enough for me !!!

The internet is full of people that supposedly know best

20. 69z

69z

I deburred the inside of the engine then applied Glyptol and never had a problem with it, but the trick is to make sure the surface IS CLEAN before applying it. That's the trick of keeping the paint in place safely...

21. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Dido Langy......I have worked at a place back in the day called Prototype Racing engines, Ron Neal. Before that Jerry Kulwicki, not to name drop, but.... a few mentors.......we painted the internals of all the engines we did....race or street, drysump or wet. Never did find a flake. Prep is everything. Glyptol is all we used. I still do it today...even on my Quickchanges, rear housings, third members and transmission cases....the magnesium cases especially.....is it a waste of time???....I guess I wasted my time...

22. Worked with a group of guys that raced Nitro Harleys and Glyptol went into every engine that came out of that shop. Porous aluminum castings from HD (especially '79-83) was the main reason on street motors, oil return on the race engines was the benefit more appreciated than the porosity issue. When billet blocks and heads became the norm on the fuel bike they eliminated the glyptol but it was still used on all CAST cases and heads. Remember that on an aircooled motor the oil is used to pull heat away. The dwell time the oil sits on a surface is critical for heat transfer to occur. The glyptol did not interfere with heat transfer but did improve flow times....a win/win.

Proper block prep is more important than the whether to apply a coating or not. Casting flash is a deterrent to have the oil flow back to the pan quicker. Applying Glyptol to casting flash is pointless. Prep your block to reduce surface irregularities that impede return flow and then applying a good surface coat of glyptol is the key to reduce casting sand from entering the oil and return flow.

Overkill on a street engine? Probably. Would I do it for my own project....yep!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013