Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Recognize this Old Stock Car (From Devil's Bowl)? - Hudson Jet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Picked up this neat old Hudson dirt car, but don't know alot about it. I know that it's a '53 or '54 Hudson Jet, and I think it ran with a Hornet 308. Rest of the driveline was Ford I'm told, had a '39 toploader, it has a closed driveline, Ford banjo rear (with full floater axles).

The previous owner's family does not want the number that is on the car to be displayed. I'm trying to be respectful of that and have covered up the number, or anything that might give it away.

I know the pictures aren't the best, but maybe someone will recognize it- couldn't have been too many of these Hudson Jet's flying around dirt tracks...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. I had a Hudson Jet a few years ago but I have never seen one converted into a race car..l thats cool !!

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! Even searching online I haven't ever seen a Jet set up for a dirt track.... Makes it kind of a unique beast, and pretty cool looking

4. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

5. Thats killer, I'd love to own that. Sorry no info.

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think there was a pic of one at Dayton Speedway on the old daytonspeedwaylives website. Last time I tried to get on there, it was down, but Mickey Thompson (yep, that is the guys name) has a Dayton Speedway Facebook page. Cool car man.

7. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

See.....you got the fever now!, one wasn't good enough!
    Keepin' my eyes on this one too!!

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! It's definately unique!

I'll try and look that guy up... I see his Facebook site and he said he will be relaunching his website soon, so maybe then I'll be able to see it... I guess it possible it raced in Ohio since it ended up in NY??

Hahaha don't worry, this is a long-term project... But I'm planning on taking the flathead from my other car and using it in this one, and most of the other parts I've got sitting around...

Thinking of leaving the outside mostly original for now, just have to change the numbers in some way.

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

TTT- I talked to one of the original builders, and he said they ran it at Devil's Bowl Speedway in Vermont during the 80's... Still no original pictures of it though, but maybe someone on here used to go to Devil's Bowl back in the day

10. k9racer

k9racer

No dents????? Did the car have a rebody?? In Alabama several wasp were built for circle track wars. One was owner by Mr. W E Parsons. His car won a lot of races at thr Fairgrounds Birmingham International Race way..

11. super-six

super-six

Curious as to what's blocked-out on the images?

12. The people he got it from didn't want the cars numbers shown

13. VTjunk

VTjunk

Devils Bowl is close by, I'll ask around.

Why didn't the family want the number getting out? Dont want word getting around to someone they sold it?

14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks- Sort of a long story about the number, but basically the builder's sons don't want me to keep the number on there anymore (have to be respectful of that).

15. A later DIRT sticker? When was it last run?

Was Devil's Bowl ever DIRT? Maybe you should be looking at like Lebanon Valley or that area also.

16. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Yes Devils bowl in Vt. was dirt it was in the mid 80s still i didn't know it got paved! i wonder if the family still uses that number ? iot was common around here to buy an old racer but not be able to keep the number, Numbers were assigned by the track when i ran in the 70s once they gave you a number it was yours not the cars you ran that number on your cars as long as you competed there .

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  17. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Not being able to show information like number or drivers name could make it tough to get info .hope you put this one back on the track Wicked good would love this at their events! Ssee if anyone knows the name of the track Photographer around the time your car ran. I was just a field filler when I ran street stock here in 72 but the track photographer managed to get a couple shots of my car I found that out 10 years later! I was surprised he even knew my car existed never mind knew he had pics of it! heres a link to Devils Bowl it looks like it was open in 2012. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Devils+Bowl+Speedway+Vt.&qpvt=Devils+Bowl+Speedway+Vt.&FORM=VDRE

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  18. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I beleive it only raced a few times in the mid-80's, not sure on exact dates or years. It was supposed to be an "affordable" class for guys to get into using fairly stock old 50's cars, but it never really took off... I think they cancelled it after a few races because of a poor showing.

I talked to one guy I know that ran at Devil's Bowl and he seemed to think it was involved with DIRT then.

I've been keeping a lookout, no luck yet, but hopefully that will change!

19. bent metal

bent metal

I'd check with Sarah Young. Or the "Jet Set" dot net.

20. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

In looking at some of the vintage stock car sites dedicated to New England tracks it looks like Catamont Speedway ran full bodied sportsman style racers. The others were more into open wheeled modifieds. I went through a couple of sites but did not see the Hudson. There was a guy running a Studebaker Lark.

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Nice find. Don't know if Buddy Bardwell is still around, but he was a preminent Hudson man in your parts for years and years.