Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you Mark.

David

2. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Just PM'd Ryan, it was sorted within a few minutes!, thank you Ryan.

David

3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Well I am still about, I have been sorting out the new bit of workshop, I am having the electrics installed. No sooner had I took on the space Than the landlord made me empty the containers I was using for storage, this almost filled my new space. I intended to get them emptied but not until I had built some racking. I had to build racking and clear the workshop before I could get the electrics installed.

Today I got a bit of work done on the 'T' I began cleaning the rust off the scuttle panel. I will be back to a day a week on the project soon plus once I have the workshop sorted I will be able to spend an hour or two of an evening on it because it is right there in the workshop. I have done a few other jobs like making the brackets for the door hinges. Photos soon.

David

4. Been a while since I read this thread, congrats on the new space!

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto!

6. I am anxious to see your progress. It is unfortunate you got pushed to empty the storage containers before you were ready. Do you have all of that organized now?

~Alden

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you. Got lights and three phase as of today.

Thanks for looking in!

I built racking, sold off some panels I used to use as patterns but have not made for years and thinned out some of the crap I had accumulated. I am building a wall with large glass doors and windows inside the existing doors you can see in the photo with my daughter's painting the walls. I have to knock a hole between the two workshops. Once that is done the space is finished.

I am starting back on the T tomorrow.

David

8. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Can't wait to see more updates.

I've been meaning to ask you, what tools/anvils do you recommend for hand forming sheet metal. It looks like, in your video, that you use an old railroad chunk as an anvil when doing some of the work. Is there anything that you specifically recommend I look for on a budget?

9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

The section of railway track is very useful. I use it all the tome. For stakes or post dolly try Dagger Tools. Most of mine were bought second hand but Frost sell them here in the UK and a couple of mine came from there. I have made them from sections of fork lift truck forks. I press all manor of metal parts into use.

David

10. dos zetas

dos zetas

More, please, on this good looking car.

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Glad you are enjoying the build. I did quite a bit yesterday but I can't post photos 'cos my computers are caput. I should have a new one soon so an update then.

David

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

My Mate Glenn came over and helped me fit the engine into my chassis...
    [​IMG]

This seemed like the logical thing to do next. In order to work out the exact possition to put the engine in I mocked up the bits of body I have using the cowl frame I made, the door I borrowed to copy and the original bun panel with the new turtle deck panel I made earlier in the thread.

[​IMG]

With this done I set about making some engine mounts. I wanted them to be like you might find on an old car rather than 'street rod' fully butt welded jobs. I made a simple profile pattern and marked out the mounts onto some steel, not the best piece of steel but this will all be blasted before being painted in any case.

[​IMG]

Once cut out I folded them in my flypress...

[​IMG]

These were put in place then welded. I have some riveting to do in the crossmember so I could rivet these but I may plug weld them. they need a bit of tidying up as yet.

[​IMG]

Its been a long time since I posted but I have been working on the new bit of workshop as well as being very busy at work. I had the electrics done and had to find the money for all this but I hope to progress on the T now.

David

13. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Glad to see you back at it David.

14. flatheadal

flatheadal
    from P'boro, uk

No excuses for Pendine now then?

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yep! I am too! So much to do so little time.

I still have a long way to go Al but I would love to have it there. Perhaps I will call on some more fellow Sidewinders for some help, there's one I can think of with nothing to do lol.

David

16. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Looking great!

I'm always curious how people intend to tackle this area on 26-27 roadsters/deuce frame. The way the frame transitions into the turtle deck is tricky, and making it flow is seldom done properly IMO.

I've been thinking about it for months now and can't figure out what I want to do for mine.

Attached Files:

• Cap.JPG
      Cap.JPG
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
  17. David, if you decide to plug weld those you might consider something I do on projects. After the hole is filled with weld, I keep welding in a circular motion from the outside to the center, pulling the gun back and letting off the trigger. You end up with a mounded weld that looks somewhat like a rivet. In that position, inside the frame, not many people would notice.

~Alden

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks! I was please to put it together ans see that I got the chassis dimensions right for the body!.
    I am not too concerned about that area of the car the body will overhang the chassis a little but that looks fine to me. Its not unusual on an old car even European sports cars.

David

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I was thinking the same thing Alden, thanks for the suggestion though. I have a bit more done I will post soon.

David

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I wanted to set the rear spring at the height I needed it so the most simple way of doing it was with a tubular cross-member. I made this from two inch diameter quarter inch wall seamless tube.

[​IMG]

I cut a plate and drilled it to take the U-bolts. None of this is welded yet but it should work OK. I am going to box the rear of the chassis so I needed to get this done first.

[​IMG]

My mate Glenn is going to lend me some rollers so I will have the wheels stripped of the tires so I can get them cleaned up and painted. I was thinking of molasses to clean them up anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't do this?

David

21. Looking good, glad to see you found some time to get back on it.

22. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

I have been using citric acid to strip rust and it works great. No smell either. 1 kg to 10 litres of water works the best. I buy it in a 20 kg bag as it is used a lot in the wine industry here for cleaning out tanks etc.
    Here is a great thread on it.
    http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44410

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

Molasses is a little stinky but it works great. Just a couple days in the stuff and a little scotch brite with phosphoric acid to stop the flash rust. It starts IMMEDIATELY. My wash bath is hot water to speed the the drying process. Then epoxy over top.

24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys. I know a lot of people sandblasted wire wheels but I am a bit concerned about the metalurgic (not sure I spelt that right) effect of blasting, any thoughts on this?. I thought molasses would be a better bet. The citric acid seems like a good idea.

David

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

patiently waiting...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Hi David, I know that this is off topic, but I would like to wish you, your family and all the HAMBERs out there, a sfe, joyful and Happy festive Season. May God bless you all

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Did a bit more towards making the trans mount and Glenn took the wheels, had the tyres removed and brought it all back to me. Will order some citric crystals soon. Got the car on 18s at the moment.

Thank you!. Happy New year!.

David

28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

been doing a little work on the T, something always crops up to stop me getting on. Here is what I have managed to get done lately.

This is the patterns for the center of the crossmember/trans mount. I made patterns from scraps thin steel/aluminium whatever I had. they are in the foreground, the larger piece is a half sheet of 1/8th steel plate.

[​IMG]

I cut all my sections from this with a cut off disc in a grinder.

[​IMG]

For the main piece I folded a couple of flanges in my Edwards folder...

[​IMG]

Broke the back of it with my rolls, they are nowhere near man enough for this so I finished it by hand over a tube.

[​IMG]

...this is the new part in 1/8th plate compared to the pattern...

[​IMG]

David

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014