Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it practical to add a door where none existed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wchamb, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chev and GMC made an unusual Suburban from 1967 to 1972 that had 3 doors, 2 on the right side and one on the driver side.

A smart body man could reinforce the body, remove the door pillar, hang the rear door suicide fashion and arrange new latches on the right side, allowing you to open up the whole curb side of the vehicle.

On the left side, a 2 door wagon.

They made a panel truck version with 2 doors. You could blank off the side windows if you wanted to for a panel truck look.

Here is an ad for a custom 67 Suburban, I chose it because it is the first page I Googled that shows both sides clearly. You can see the unusual door arrangement. They don't look half bad fixed up.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/gmc/gmc-00001.html

Another site showing ads for 2wd, 4wd, panel truck, station wagon, ambulance, stock, custom etc. Gives you an idea of how the different models look.

http://cars.oodle.com/1967_1972-chevrolet-suburban/for-sale/

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My daughter is a quadriplegic (C4, ASIA C) and we drive her around in an '05 Chrysler Town & Country that has a dropped floor and a ramp that comes out from underneath the passenger side sliding door. We bought her van three years ago; the previous owner drove the van from her wheelchair (the driver seat could be removed and the wheelchair could be driven and locked into place behind the steering wheel). Unfortunately, our daughter's injury is such that she cannot drive.

She has a friend who has a somewhat lower injury who drives a converted Honda Element, with it's suicide doors on the passenger side, no pillar. Both doors open out, the ramp comes out, and she is able to drive her wheelchair up into the Element and lock in place behind the wheel.

I would think that adapting hardware from the Element would be a good way to go, as it has suicide doors rather than sliding doors.

Here is an example of the Element that I think could be adapted to a panel or suburban:

http://www.fminow.com/honda-element-wheelchair-accessible-car-and-suv-conversions

3. daddio211

daddio211

4. 73RR

73RR

Much impressed by your attitude and can-do spirit. I have seen many threads with references to custom shops in the Great State of Texas and a bit surprised no one has jumped in. There are plenty of potential fat-fendered panels from all of the 'usual' manufacturers so finding one to start with should not be an issue.

Do you have a particular vehicle in mind?

5. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

Regarding leaning towards a particular vehicle, not yet. It will probably come down to maximum headroom at the driver's seat. I drive seated in my wheelchair. I sit pretty tall.

6. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

hears an a thought, snagged this some time ago off the web. A little on the radical side.

Attached Files:

7. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

yea, I can do it...over in the Frisco/Little Elm area

8. 31 5w

31 5w

As a donor you could use a '99-05 Ford f-150 Super CAB not super crew. They have pillar less side doors that latch on to each other w/ a total swing out for each door as the rear doors open suicide style. You could get the drivers side of cab and have all your latches/measurements etc. to be able to work with. Just a thought. I have one so if you need pics pm me and I will take some pics and e-mail them to you, Lee

9. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

Thank you for the offer, Lee. In the case of using doors from a donor vehicle, is the idea to cut the entire door assembly out of the donor and weld it in to the recipient? Frame around the perimeter of the doors and all?

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Say you are going to use a long '49 Chevy panel like this one, and add a door from the opposite side. I, personally would use as much of the door opening as possible, and adapt the latch assemblies from a later truck as suggested above by Lee.

Attached Files:

11. That's a photo I took at the Hunnert car pile-up in 2007. It belongs to a guy named Craig who has MD. He is a member of the Blacktop Barons out of Plainfield, Illinois. I think he is on facebook.

12. a friend has two vans and a motor home none have ramps the all have lifts both him and his girl friend use electric chairs he has limited strength in one arm and cannot use a ramp. the latest unit fits nicely under the van doesn't take much room.another option depends on upper body strength

13. wchamb

wchamb
    from Texas

Using as complete as possible door assembly from a donor vehicle does sound like a low risk way to go. Do you think the shape around the A-pillar of the recipient vehicle might determine or limit the choices for what the donor vehicle should be?

14. There are companies that do this type of conversion on late model vehicles. You might want to contact a couple of them and see what they are doing.

Charlie Stephens

15. There are companies that do this type of conversion. You might want to contact a couple of them and see what they are doing.
    Charlie Stephens

some of those companies do new vehicles only

16. in the older commercial king cabs the the front doors were switched side to side and mounted backwards for the back doors

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This is what I was thinking would be pretty cool. This would make for an opening that wasn't all squared off, if the window frame was left alone, with the A-pillar angle left in it. Maybe post something on the photoshop thread.

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger
    BANNED
    from ...

I knew a young kid (amazing fabricator) who made an extended cab late 60's Dodge truck using a mid 90's extended cab section - looked factory. I think the key to making a "new" door that seals is using not only a door but the entire frame from an existing vehicle....one that already had the millions of design and production $$$ stuck into it.

But I do think its quite doable - and doable in a right way.

Just my 2c.

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

20. 31 5w

31 5w

I would suggest trying to get -front "a" pillar, top edge of cab,bottom rocker panels(where latch assembly mounts and back of cab where rear doors hinge from. You would then have complete opening w/ all hardware to start/work with. These doors have a slight curve to them and small swing out windows in rear doors . Google '99 Ford F-150 super CAB and you will see the contour of the assembly.Earlier yrs. of that style ,('97-98) only Pass. side rear door opened .From '99 on both rear doors did , so you need '99 up. Lee

21. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I know some of the old hearse's and ambulances had HUGE side doors that would make a great handicap vehicle. Those doors had like 6 hinges....

22. 327Eric

327Eric

Check out this months"Hemmings Classic cars". There is an interesting article on a Coachbuilding Firm from the 30's, and some pictures of a sedan they did(think it was a 35 Plymouth) for a wheelchair. Pretty much in the same vein you are talking about. Interesting stuff.