Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to get an old-timey hand fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben DeBumper, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

I have an electric fuel pump on my '29 Speedster but obviously this is not period-correct. My fuel system is able to be sealed so I was thinking of switching to a hand pump pressurized system for the added cool factor, but haven't been able to find a source for the pump. Are these reproduced or do I have to prowl eBay and hope one comes up?

2. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

3. The electric fuel pump was produced well before WW11.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

5. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

I didn't know that!

6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I would imagine the originals would go for that, maybe more, and need rebuilt? Whatever you decide, good luck!

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would think a race-car inspired speedster built considerably before WWII would have used an early pressure pump, used on lots of big circa WWI cars...the Moon type is really a later piece, maybe early fifties, probably brought out because the circle track types had all the old ones in use and nobody was scrapping 1912 Cadillacs anymore...so you probably haven't reached "expensive" yet!
    Why not locate an old tire pump and a pipe cutter...look for a check valve fitting in industrial supply...

8. 3340

go to you're local beer distributer, talk to there draft beer guy and explain what you are looking for they have brass pumps that look the part, if no luck pm me. wayne

9. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

Hey great idea. New keg pumps can be had for less than $50. And used ones are all over eBay!

10. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

Score!

Found on ebay, part of an old keg pump. Nice heavy chrome-plated brass with some patina. I like it because it doesn't resemble more modern pumps that have a ball handle.

Attached Files:

11. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

that should look great

12. True that!! I worked on a 1928 Essex that had an electric fuel pump Stock!!

And it still worked!! (Car had sat from 1965 until 1980 or so, when my friend bought it).

Cosmo

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is a really good looking alternative!! :D

14. 3340

Hey Ben A Great Score, Good Job. Wayne

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Once you've got it on the car you'll probably be less infatuated with having to constantly pump the pressure up to keep running! ;)

16. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

Ha ha, you may be right! Fortunately I only need a pump when the tank gets below 1/4 full, anything higher it flow by gravity.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I believe Speedway has a reproduction of the early hand pumps. Check and it might be a little cheaper than Ebay.

Frank

18. jkeesey

jkeesey

A 1928 Essex did not come from factory with an electric fuel pump. They had vacuum pumps mounted to the firewall.

19. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

I guess I didn't make it clear, I already bought the one in the picture. It even came with a keg tap! :D

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Uh huh.Gonna set it up for DUAL use.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. which for all intents and purpose is gravity from the pump to the carb. Correct?

22. jkeesey

jkeesey

23. If that is true, then the electric pump that This Essex had, Was older than 1965 anyway. And 6 volts.

Cosmo

24. jkeesey

jkeesey

Like stated earlier, they had electric fuel pumps before WWII.

25. Oldest I have been able to date them at this point is 1927. Autopulse model 200.

26. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

I took advantage of the unusual 60 degree weather here in New England and assembled the pump system. I decided to mount the pump outside the driver's seat (saw a picture of one mounted like that on a Stutz Bearcat!) I used 5/16" copper tubing to plumb it. The small silver device in the line behind the seat is a check valve. It seems to work like it should, but won't be able to road test it until spring. Now I need to find a pressure gauge for the dashboard.

Attached Files:

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do realize that that setup will create a vacuum on your tank negating the "gravity" feed off the top 3/4 of the tank? You will end up having to pump your hand pump a lot more often than you think you are going to have to with that setup. That will be especially so when the tank is full and you don't have much room for air in the tank.

28. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

You're right, but I don't think it will be that bad. The tank holds about 20 gallons, but I usually only fill it half full, so that leaves 10 gallons of air space. Now if this space was pressurized to, say, 2 psi, even when the tank is almost empty there will still be 1 psi of air pressure remaining. So theoretically I won't need to re-pressurize assuming zero leakage. I only use the car for short trips anyway, so if I give it a few pumps before starting off it should be OK.

So now the question is: how many pumps will it take to pressurize a 10-gallon air volume to 2 psi? I estimate the pump volume is 12 cubic inches, or .006 cubic feet. 10 gallons is 1.33 cubic feet. The equation to use is:

Pa x Va = Pc x Vc

Vc is the compressed volume = 1.33 cubic feet
    Pc is the pressure at the compressed volume = 16.7 psia
    Pa is atmospheric pressure = 14.7 psia

So the free volume, Va, = (Pc x Vc)/Pa = 1.51 cubic feet.

(1.51-1.33)/.006 = approx. 30 pumps.

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Uh.....can I phone a friend?:p