Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What should I be paying for DOM tubing 7/8" x 0.156 wall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. What are you guys getting this stuff for?

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

How much are you buying and what are YOU paying for it

chromemoly 7/8 x 188 wall is around $10 ft

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I haven't bought in awhile, but look for the wholesaler in your area. When I did some searching and handshaking and buying, my local price went from about 14.00 a foot to like about 5.00 a foot. I simply followed the trail and figured out where everybody else in town bought theirs...

4. My steel prices seem to be inflated.
    My go to place (non stocking) was 5.31 a foot.
    My buddy called his place and was about 3.75 a foot.
    304 stainless 7/8x 0.188 non polished was 9.20 a foot
    Haven't priced chromemolly

5. I'm going with the stainless and skip the chrome shop.
    I don't think I can get a front and rear set of bars , tie rod and drag link chromed for the 150.00 difference in material.

6. Last time I bought some locally was around $6-$7 ft for steel

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Let me know how drilling and tapping goes with the stainless. I have thought of doing the same on several occasions but balked at my hatred of working the stuff, and I have to buy for two or three projects in the very near future. I believe the last time I bought, it was probably when steel was at some of the highest prices it was ever at. Hopefully when I call my wholesaler I'll find prices more in line with what you were quoted.

8. I will let you know.
    I'll stop at the tooling shop and get some good bits and taps for it.
    Now if I can get them built without dinging the hell out of the tubes !!!

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

You are going to need a collet type holder for your lathe, too much risk useing a 3 jaw on stainless and can wind up scarfing the OD when the tap load increases. Chuck speed is very important---too slow is just as bad as too fast.
    I prefer LPS brand Tapmatic dual action +#1 cutting fluid for stainless, I had to do around 100 8-32 blind taps in stainless-did it all with one tap and this fluid

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Another favorite drilling and tapping fluid I've used often over the years is the grease that comes from frying bacon!!!!!!!!

11. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

12. I appreciate the insight.
    I'm not a machinist, so forgive the question - what's a collet holder.
    I have a lathe that came with literally 2000 lbs of tooling and 3 chucks

13. A collet holder is what you'll find on your die grinders; it clamps on the entire surface.

As a cheap alternative, line your lathe chuck jaws with some thin sheet aluminum.

14. Beau

Beau

7/8"x5/32 wall is $81.46/stick or $4.07/ft plus cuts.

Depending on the stainless, I have seen Crisco used to stop thread galling. This was after using MANY different products without success.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Best thing I've found for HAND tap in stainless is plain ol' grey never-seize.
    dave

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

[​IMG]

The collets are specfic to the dia of the stock and grip 98% of the material whereas a 3-jaw only touches 3 points. Since this is just tapping and does not have to be aerospace tollerance you could try and make some(or buy $45) aluminum soft jaws and bore them in the chuck to just under the material dia so that they will spring when you tighten the chuck to grip the material better