Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats a Good price on a 62 T-bird?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by williamtunnell, Dec 21, 2013.

1. williamtunnell

williamtunnell

I know where this Thunderbird is, but think the seller is too high.

Engine runs, but smokes. floor pans and rockers and trunk are mostly rust free. Rear quarter panels are bad at the bottom. Interior is pretty good, but not perfect. He wants $4000. What do you all think?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660719.870676.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660733.193664.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660747.802590.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660759.811618.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660774.917395.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660818.755962.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387660835.785137.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. super-six

super-six

I think you're right.

3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

A parts car. $4000 way too much.

4. willsweptline

willsweptline

Here around Cincinnati one like that, in that condition, runs about half that, and they're fairly common (at least around here).

5. I got one that's not much better if as good and I would not sell mine for 4000 wait a few years see what they get for a bullet bird as good as this one, getting less and less everyday, but its only worth what someone would pay for it, so the market will determine ,I would say it is a lot more than a parts car from the pictures check NADA see what they say

6. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Seems high at 4 grand but still more than a parts car to me

7. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

look at prices on them craigslist calif, half that price, some never sold and still being posted over and over.

8. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I think $3500 would be a good price on that car. They are cool!

9. williamtunnell

williamtunnell

Oh, it's definitely more than a parts car! For me, it would probably be a drive-as-is car.

I threw a figure of $2000 out there just for kicks and he made some crack about it. Said his earlier asking price was 4500. I guess it'll just keep sitting.

The 52 Chevy 4-door sitting next to it was the same price, and in MUCH worse shape. Now that's a parts car. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387715864.850283.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387715876.825763.jpg
    Rusted out trunk, fiber glassed floor pans, plenty of evidence of bondo, no interior excluding rotten seats :) , most of the chrome was painted, and the body had a HEAVY coat of poorly applied black paint - runs and all :)

10. Move on,,the T Bird needs a ton of work and parts are expensive.

Looks like a 1,200 dollar car to me. HRP

11. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

In the northeast where everything is a rust bucket that ASKING price would be on par for a bullet bird, parts cars in the south are builders to us.

12. rusty28a

rusty28a

SaltCityCustoms is EXACTLY right! This car has very little rust and up North this is very hard to find. The price of any old car has risen as they always do and we older people always have a hard time adjusting to the rise of inflation. Think gasoline. There is always a better deal out there and they usually fall out of the sky AFTER you have just made a purchase but this car is clearly worth the money in my estimation. Best regards.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It kinda depends on how much money you have to spend. A close friend sold a nice, rust free, very low miles on professionally overhauled engine, etc., bullet bird at auction a couple of years ago for $8000. The car need nothing but a new home. He is a retired bodyman and had bought this car several years before in great overall shape, needing engine work and paint, which he did. As disappointed as he was at the time, I think the market is even softer now.

My point is, if you really want a T-bird and have more than $4000, you can get a LOT more car for a LITTLE more money when compared what it would cost to bring this car to a better standard.

On the other hand, if you don't have more than $4000 to spend, you still may want to pass on this and consider other options.

Or offer the $2000 you first thought. In fact that was exactly what I thought too when reading your description and seeing the pics.

14. I bought mine 6 years ago for 9000, had a rebuilt engine, nice paint, nosed, decked, and shaved, airride ,good interior, slight rust in quarters. After pricing stockers I did the math and figured it would cost way more to build it myself.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  15. 46stude

46stude

From the pics and description, I'd say its closer to a $2500-3000 car, IF its what you are looking for. Depends on how much the motor smokes and why.

16. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Nailed it^^^ 2500-3000 Way better than a parts car.
    It's worth more up north but you gotta get it there.

17. williamtunnell

williamtunnell

Well, I think I'm gonna pass and not even fool with trying to get him any lower. If anybody's interested, PM me and I'll get you his name and phone number.

18. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I'd grab the chevy and leave the bird.......

19. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Got one for sale in the classifieds. '1962 bullit bird kustom ...

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I guess the seller has never replaced a complete floor and rear quarters. If you can see that much rust it'll be ten times worse after sandblasting. I may be wrong and it may only have a little rust on the lower quarters but I'm probably not. A car like that will be difficult and expensive to restore. What are they worth restored? It's worth no more than a parts car. Whoever chooses to restore it, does it as a labor of love. Take the $4000, add the price of a good paint job and you already have a pretty tidy 'bird.
    Ed

21. derbydad276

derbydad276

several for sale in metro Detroit ( yea I know ) same or better condition $3500 and lower

22. afaulk

afaulk

Do your research. If all components need reconditioning or replacement, it is by definition only a parts car. Can it be restored? Of course but is the restoration financially feasable? No....Hell no.

23. williamtunnell

williamtunnell

Having seen it in person and from all my "rust finding experience" I've had with my 53 Bel Air, I think the rear quarters are shot (obviously), the trunk pan is salvageable, and the floor pans are probably OK for what I could tell. I peeled the carpet back as far as I could.

It's definitely not a parts car, but still overpriced. I do appreciate all the feedback. That T-bird's been sitting there for every bit of 6 months. At one point, he offered both cars to me for $7800. Since I don't want the Chevy, I passed then as well.

Anyway, like I said earlier, if anyone wants it, I'll put you in touch with the guy. I just don't think this Ones for me.