Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Cadiallac Convertible Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grease4life, May 25, 2011.

1. grease4life

grease4life

Ok time for some progress updates. Worked this weekend on the radiator support. Picked up a 4X2 piece of sheet metal and filled the newly modified support.
    shroud3.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. grease4life

grease4life

I then test fit to mark areas for additional trimming where needed.
    shroud.JPG

3. grease4life

grease4life

I then shot some primer on the back and tough coat on the front ant put er in. Started to place the radiator overflow and reroute the brake remote reservoirs to the support.
    9A99B13D-orig_zps9e807720.JPG

4. grease4life

grease4life

Had to section nearly 3" out of the hood latch support back when I originally modified it. So before re installing it I took time to grind with the rotary tool all the small corner welds. Here is everything finished:

7B9C37C9-orig_zps04edd037.JPG
    radiatorin.JPG

5. grease4life

grease4life

WOW it took my forever to get the last of my wiring to the fans and OBD2 figured out and ran. But once I did, (using insulated connectors), I was able to take everything back out so I could cut away the ugly part of the fire wall. The new flat surface will allow me to better mount my gas pedal and hinge the trap door under the dash that I making for the PCU and fuse panels. Here is the ugly cut our remains that I will use to trace the filler piece out of stock.
    firewallcut.JPG

6. grease4life

grease4life

Here is where I left off for the weekend.
    22a378f7-dd3c-47a5-87df-5a4fcfc831ad_zps46d9a5d1.JPG

7. grease4life

grease4life

OK Progress report: Firewall is welded in and smooth. I made a drop down door for the ECU, fuses, and relays to tuck up under the dash and conveniently swivel down for fuse access. The center support between the hinges was just uses as a square and cut way before install.
    fusedoor.JPG fusedoor2.JPG

8. grease4life

grease4life

The original trans in these cars is long and skinny, and the 6L80E I dropped in was short and fat. I'm not running a center counsel of any kind so it was important to me not to have a tall bump in the floor. After attempting to increase the width along with the height to keep a stock appearance, I did not account for room my foot would need when putting the pedal to the metal. So after a lot of cutting, heating, and hammering, I re-welded up what I think will look good under carpet and provide all foot space needed for comport.
    trans2.JPG

9. grease4life

grease4life

Here it is with the gas pedal put back in:
    trans3.JPG

10. You. Got BALLZ! That's a big job.
    Cogragulations to you.

11. grease4life

grease4life

Alright boys and girls. Make lack of posts is not due to a lack of progress. I don't think I will have the time tonight to upload all the new pics but here's a start:
    notch.JPG
    Notch completed for the fuel filler tube.
    a0b9b5f3-a566-4a5a-ab64-2bc907a9a330_zps64f0584f.JPG

12. grease4life

grease4life

Operation french in license plate complete after starting 2 years ago but not pulling the bumper until now. Also found a while back a couple extra trim pieces to add now that the bumper center pieces are removed.
    plateshave.JPG

13. Squablow

Squablow

That seems like a hell of a deep notch to run a gas filler tube through, not worried about flex? Maybe a bolt-in lower piece to box the tube in? Very nice work on the car elsewhere though.

14. grease4life

grease4life

That seems like a hell of a deep notch to run a gas filler tube through, not worried about flex? Maybe a bolt-in lower piece to box the tube in? Very nice work on the car elsewhere though.[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah no kidding. You see there are multiple puzzle pieces. It is made from 1/4" steel and had inner hidden supports throughout. That area is stronger than before it was cut. Thanks for looking out though!

15. grease4life

grease4life

Also removed all components and ugly cast bracket from the front of the motor. What I could not replace with billet I had polished by the guys down the street for really cheap. FYI putting LS1 accessory brackets on a VVT engine requires custom spacers with 10mm ID and .727" thick. You don't want to know what I had to do in acquiring that little gem of info.
    pullies.JPG

16. grease4life

grease4life

Here are the shots of the new custom headers and components all installed on the engine.
    enigine.JPG enginemount2.JPG

17. grease4life

grease4life

Also sealed in the rear of the radiator support and mounted overflow and remote brake fluid reservoirs.
    resevoir.JPG resivour.JPG

18. grease4life

grease4life

Finished that trap door I was working on and installed it under the dash.
    fuse.JPG

19. grease4life

grease4life

Took her for a drive finally! Needs the trans tuned to the reat end gear ration and tire size but out side of the very fast!!!

In celebration my buddy came by to throw some pin stripes on the hood and deck so she looks a little cooler going down the road. I will feel bad having to remove for paint in the future.
    9835788a-0595-49e2-9243-f63ff9b57d91_zps60bbc108.JPG pin.JPG

20. Very nice!! Love the color and the pin-striping really sets it off!! The engine looks right at home in there.....well done.

Bill

21. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

Lookin good Danny! You and I will be cruising together soon

22. grease4life

grease4life

Finally making the move to CA?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awww, don't let Ted fool ya...he ain't moving west UNTIL his Caddy gets done :rolleyes::D...and I happen to know it's bare metal right now and he's under it cleaning the chassis...am I right Ted...???

I'm kidding ya, Ted :eek: ...if and when you move, stop in Denver on your way...

Danny, your Cadillac is looking good...looks like you did some of the same stuff to yours that I did to mine...

R-

24. grease4life

grease4life

So in an effort to plan ahead for the hiding of the pumps, tank(s), relays, and valves, I took down my ideal measurements and looked on eBay for about 6 months until I found a beautiful 1870's steamer trunk! It was the perfect depth and height! Heck 2 outta 3 aint bad... Here it is test fit in the trunk.
    trunks2.JPG

25. grease4life

grease4life

Once I pushed it all the way back I realized that the lids to this old thing would not open more a few inches and I wanted to be able to access fuses etc... So I carefully dismantled everything from the front of the trunk and was able to pull the front off as well using a dead blow hammer and a 2x4. Then I hinged the front, reinforced with 1x3 oak pieces, and also cut and covered 3/4" ply for additional strength and accessory mounting purposes.
    pumpsin.JPG trunks.JPG

26. grease4life

grease4life

I ran into what I thought would be a big pain in my game with the tank being too wide. But after going home to sleep on it followed by some online shopping I ordered 2x 3gallon air tanks and upon arrival ran them to the shop for a test fit. They worked! Next I cut all the mounting legs away and picked up a double male end fitting and screwed them together (bottom to bottom). The metal yard was closed by now but Home Depot pulled through with 2" wide flat stock aluminum to support the tanks. I simply used the old area where the legs were cut away and my neighbor had a aluminum welder, so he took care of that for me. Also re attached the feet to a new location. End result looked cool but a $40 trip to the polisher made a big difference!
    pump.JPG
    Please ignore the extra air line that snuck into the pic... It was cut away but I guess didn't want to leave the car.
    tanktop.JPG

27. grease4life

grease4life

Last but not least, I was able to get up there one more time before the cars 60 mile trip to the Temecula Rod Run. I welded up the rear shock mounts and installed the shock absorbers which really performed perfectly! Sorry for the crummy pic:
    exhaust.JPG

28. grease4life

grease4life

She now sits low and handles like a Cadillac should!
    bagged2.JPG

29. grease4life

grease4life

I used about 6 gallons of gas round trip averaging 85mph. Gotta love that 6 speed! Got down to the rod run the day before and the car ran great! Met a fellow HAMBer the next day named Mike. He was really cool and recognized my car from this build journal. Always great to run into people who appreciate the work that really goes into these things. Thats my buddy's 54 Buick that was built by OZ customs next to me. Great times!
    show3.JPG

30. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Nice work ! Love the steamer trunk idea !