Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tie Rod Ends

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HemiRambler, Dec 22, 2013.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Can anyone tell me if they make a tie rod end with the tapered hole in it instead of a stud. So far the closest I could find is one of those conversion ones with both the hole and the stud - I suppose I could cut off the stud side.

Not having any luck finding this, but then again I don't know what they are called - maybe I am just searching for the wrong name.

The reason I ask is because the pitman arm I had laying around (that has the right drop) already has the stud in it.

Thanks

2. I haven't seen a threaded tie rod end with a hole.
    But you could make it.
    The stud socket it the wearing part so they usually make those replaceable.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Yeah I keep striking out I thought it was just me. Might have to break down and make one.

4. sounds to me like you have idler arm....not pitman...
    I see 63 66 chev trucks use pitman with stud...maybe can find something on LMC WEBSITE ???

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He has a pitman arm made on the same concept that uses a center link with a tapered hole on the end on it's original application. I can't remember what application but I have replaced them a few times when I was doing front end work.

6. chev trucks...

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Just trying to use what I have laying around. Starting to think maybe I'd be better off just getting a standard pitman arm.....well IF I find one for cheap! ha ha ha

8. Canuck

Canuck

Jeep used a tie rod end with a hole for a stud. Not sure what year, try 50s?

Canuck

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

look for a drag link with the right length and threads and chop the part off you don't need..

here's a '90 something Jeep unit as an example

[​IMG]

10. Or alternatively, machine the pitman arm by removing the stud and make a tapered hole where the stud was.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just get a regular pitman arm.