Register now to get rid of these ads!

Literature

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by _bird, Dec 17, 2013.

1. _bird

_bird
    from Central Ma

Should I get hot rod magazine? Would I gain much from that rag or are there any more suitable ones for traditional hot rod knowledge?

2. Hot Rod Magazine goes through phases,but a subscription is pretty cheap.

Good to have something to read in the can.

On the other hand there is Rodders Journal,not cheap and published 4 issues a year but probably the best on the market. HRP

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go to the store and look at a copy. Then choose.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Hot Rod is a good magazine but they have to cover all kinds of hot rodding - not just HAMB friendly stuff. They will have some of that, but the rest will be modern stuff.

You may want to use the search function here - car magazines get discussed every few months, you should be able to find a recent discussion about what other magazines are out there.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

It just depends on what you like. Hot Rod has had some good articles lately but if you want to read about more H.A.M.B friendly stuff Hot Rod Deluxe is the one to get. It's a little more expensive and only comes out Bi monthly though.

6. I would say no. I had a subscription to Hot Rod for close to 15 years. Just let it expire last year as it doesn't provide what I am looking for in tech and features.

7. 47COUPELG

47COUPELG
    from Iowa

I subscribe to Hot Rod, Street Rodder, & Rod & Custom. for early rods I feel that Rod & Custom is the best, but they all have their good points.

8. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

You can't beat the old magazines from the era that you are interested in. They are available at swap meets, garage sales, classifieds, trader papers, craigslist, ebay. Prices vary greatly but the best way is usually to buy a quantity as opposed to individually. Find a local dealer or at a swap meet and ask them about saving the ones with missing or damaged covers and such, as they usually throw them away because they are not collectable, but they still contain a wealth of knowledge. Of course, if it's the current "Kulture" scene traditional "movement" stuff that you're after, then this won't help.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I use the kids kindle in the can........
    Oh crap, just had to clean the screen!!!!

Warning-----invest in thicker toilet paper.

10. loudbang

loudbang

All the ones mentioned have online sites now. Go to the online versions and watch for a couple months and see which one you like better FOR FREE.