Register now to get rid of these ads!

more rpms for a 390

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 coupe, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 29 coupe

29 coupe

i have a 64 390 it was bored 60 and balanced it has a set of low riser 427 heads and a f427 manifold it is in a 55 ford customline t-10 and ford 9" 350 gears i had a 428 cj hyd cam ground. it has tons of troque but revs to 4000 rpms and needs to be shifted how do i get more rpms. i know the 427s would wind to 6500-7000 is it the hyd cam?

2. Heo2

Heo2

How big carb do you have? how is the cam degreed?

3. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Before taking anything apart I'd degree the damper to confirm TDC is correct and install timing tape, and then map out base timing and the centrifugal advance curve with a timing light and a tach.

Like HeoT said, I'd "degree' the cam. It can be done in the car, after TDC is established with the engine assembled.

Weak old valve springs can cut high rpm power, although with hydrualics I'd expect they'd pump up hold some valves open and the engine would miss for a while until they could bleed back down.

Slight long shot is plugged muffler or cat.
    Some indication can be had from manifold vacuum readings, and wimpy feeling exhaust flow. A direct reading from a bung on the exhaust is a better test.

Another slight long shot is a fuel system that cannot supply sufficient fuel for more than 150 HP or so. A pressure and volume test at the carb is a good test of pump, filter, lines, and in tank filter all in one shot.

4. R Pope

R Pope

First check the accuracy of your tach. They can be out a lot.

5. 29 coupe

29 coupe

600cfm edelbrock carb, i picked up a 650 holley havent rebuilt yet. cam is 6 deg before tdc

6. 29 coupe

29 coupe

i had to use 58 ford exhaust manifolds they are very restrictive but i dont have much room in the 55.

7. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you talking initial ignition timing or do you really mean your cam is advanced 6 degrees? If so no wonder it doesn't rev.
    If your current carb is good and the engine really does not rev past 4 grand the 650 Holley won't help. Sounds like you need to do the following:
    Verify your tach is correct.
    Make sure your distributor advance curve is matched to your engine.
    Verify TDC on your pointer is actually TDC and correct if necessary.
    Degree your cam.
    Then set your timing.

8. 29 coupe

29 coupe

that is ign timing not cam degree. i guess i dont understand how it can run so well if the timing is off. it has great pick-up but low rpms maybe tach is off.

9. TV

TV

You should be able to hear if its winding up more than the tach says, does it sound like its winding tight. Grab another tach, but I would think you could hear it.--TV

10. 29 coupe

29 coupe

looks like i have someplaces to look fuel pump,tach timing. i would like to thank all of you for taking time to help me out i guess thats why hamb is the best. i wish you all a merry x-mas and happy new year.

11. MBog

MBog

390+.060 650 is kinda small for that. You should be shooting for 800-850. Do you mean the timing is 6 deg btdc not the cam? You should follow all the previous comments and eliminate all those possibilities first, alot of good info there...
    I see I'm late to the party again...

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

might check is if the carb is opening all the way..

13. Ole don

Ole don

Reply number 3 from Dan nailed it. I too have a 55 Ford. My Y block would run out of fuel in third gear with only 320 cubic inches. I removed the fuel tank to check things out. The stock fitting is a bulkhead thing soldered in at the factory. It takes a 5/16 line. The bulkhead fitting would not pass a 3/16 drill! PM me for instructions on how I fixed this.
    Like me, its easy and its cheap.