Register now to get rid of these ads!

94 Leaking from the Accelerator Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49 Custom, Dec 21, 2009.

1. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Hey Folks,

I'm slowly sorting through my flatty trying to get it good and healthy and I've come to a problem with my rear carb (running 2x2). I have a slow drip of gas coming from the rod of the accelerator pump. The shaft of the pump rod has a bronze (?) bushing in it instead of the fabric dust collar, but otherwise has been completely rebuilt. There is a fuel regulator set at 3 psi and I am using the stock fuel pump. It leaks both at idle and faster speeds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Stefan

2. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that fuel coming out of the top of the carb would indicate too high of a fuel level. Inlet needle not seating/shutting off? Float not adjusted correctly? I had a similar situation. Took the carb apart...found some kind of a tiny soft green seed holding the inlet needle open. Dirt would do the same thing. Did you rebuild it, or did someone else? I've had carbs rebuilt that the rebuilder didn't seem to be paying attention when he was setting the float level...or maybe didn't even check it! I do 'em all myself now.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, start by disassembling. Check float valve AND level, post the level specs you have...some kits have that completely wrong! Set at lowest float spec, which is biggest number.
    There is a little seal for where you have a drip, but I think it is more an air filter/baffle/ cozy and I am sure it is not meant to hold back fuel. It really should see fuel only umder violent manuevering I think.

5. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a similar problem with my two Holley teapots. I found the needle seats had sharp edges in the bores probably from the manufacturing process. The rubber tipped needle couldn't fully seat, so the bowls were overfilling. I smoothed out the needle seat by putting a steel ball (actually from an old style ball ended needle! ) down in the bore a giving it a couple of light taps with a small hammer. This should help stop up your leak! :D

I forgot to add - you can check a needle and seat combo by pulling a vacuum on the inlet side. It should hold a vacuum reasonably well. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I discovered the same basic thing on a 94 with a current kit...I blew through the inlet and discoverd that it took the entire available lungpower (wheeeze!) to get the needle OFF of its seat with float dangling! I decided not to even fool with this evil thing, and just reseated the original steel needle and its own seat. If needle is smooth and not grooved, place it on its seat and give it a few light taps in multiple rotational positions.
    Light!!

7. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Thanks guys, seems pretty unanimous that the source is most likely an issue of too much fuel flowing into the bowl for one reason or another. Since I did the rebuild, I'm not afraid of tearing it down again. (Side note: I didn't post on 94 social group because it seems to have very light traffic). I'll let you all know what turns up.

-Stefan

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Post your specs...I have heard from a couple of people of kits with 3/4" as the float setting!

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thread added.

10. skwurl

skwurl

I would back the pressure down to less than 2 psi. Mine overflowed the bowls at 3 psi

11. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Surprised to hear that the pressure should be set down so low! I'll give it a try as well. I believe my settings for the float are 1-11/32 and 1-17/32: definitely NOT 3/4. I'm using .049 jets and 4.5 power valves.

12. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think that's really going to solve your problem. All of my Holley carburetor books give float settings at 3-4.5 psi. :confused:

Depending on the list number of your carbs, it could be 1-9/32!

This number probably comes from the new kits incorrectly refering to fuel level. Though it should be either 5/8 or 11/16. Again, depending on list number. :)

13. 49 Custom

49 Custom

The carbs are both model 8BAs. I'd actually have to fish out the instructions that came with the rebuild kits, so I'm not 100% sure of the numbers, but I wanted to reassure Bruce that my kits didn't recommend 3/4". I AM using the neoprene tipped needles and there has been some material collecting in the fuel pump bowl; so this will be the first aspect I will be checking when I get the opportunity.

14. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Update for everyone. I finally got a chance to pull the first carb and check the float level on it.

Again, its an 8BA version of the 94, so I am assuming it has the same stats as a 2100.

upper setting: 1 11/32"
    drop setting: 1 7/16"

This is what the rebuild kit suggested. Should they be set differently? Also, while I am using the new needle tip, it appears to make a good seal when the float is in the upper position.

Thanks!

15. I know this is a almost 4 year old thread, As im getting closer to putting fuel to my carbs im still worried about my float levels.
    I have the same carbs as 49 custom and have my floats set at the same marks, same PV's with 51 jets, all idle circuits are in tacked and will function ( hopefully )